OUE SINGAPORE Open 2017 : SEMIFINAL & FINAL (15th & 16th April)

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

True, the Danes are forcing the present crop of fast-and-furious, fast-flat-exchanges kind of MD players to change their game or be taken down by their all-round game.

nizze likes this.
  2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Congratulations to Mathias Boe/Carsten Mogensen for their 14th Super Series title! They totally deserve the title today after they have defeated the top 2 pairs in the World Ranking: Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo/Marcus Fernaldi Gideon & Li Junhui/Liu Yuchen. I am truly happy for them as they are the most senior pair in the tour right now, and especially after Carsten Mogensen suffered a serious injury that nearly split their partnership last year. They managed to come back strongly and won 2 SS titles after Mogensen's recovery (French SS 2016 and now Singapore SS 2017).

They will definitely pose as a serious threat to Kevin/Marcus in the World Championships 2017 and it's definitely a timely reminder when the minions to lose yesterday, so that they know they have to train harder to overcome their weakness (especially when facing experienced and tricky pairs like the Danes). I believe Ko Herry IP & Aryono Minarat will devise strategies in the coming months so that the minions will be at their prime condition in August 2017. A Final match between the minions and the experienced Danes will definitely be something to look forward to!

As I said earlier, I am not at all disappointed as I expected the winning run to end eventually and to come at the hand of the eventual winner was definitely something that the young INA pair can live with.

3. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

One of the reasons LYD/YYS and Ahsan/Hendra has a winning H2H record is against BoMo because after each rally, they take a long time to start a point again. Maybe in the past it wasnt long but the youngsters want to play fast after each point. think the key word is 'patience'.

Yes, it is really worth it for minions to lose to eventual champions. Hats off to BoMo.

4. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Don't forget to add Kurniahu, the legendary coach (current head coach of Tangkas) whose also Fernaldi's father. Marcus trains with his dad on Sunday when he's off from Pelatnas. Tons of legend coaches behind them.

5. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Wow! 5 consecutive tournament wins for TTY.
    HK, Dubai, AE, MAS and now SIN.
    Incredible!

6. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Denmark is the biggest winner in Singapore with two titles, the three remaining titles won by India, Chinese Taipei and China.

First match of final day presented intriguing clash despite head to head stats favour to Chinese pair. Puvaranukroh/Taerattanachai brought their best to surprise All England champion with fast attacking smashes varied with net blocking. But the Chinese came back in second game and became unstoppable at decider with their speed, power and strong stamina. All England crown really boosted Lu/Huang confidence and they showed fantastic result after that. Women's doubles also delivered the exciting showdown, highly-motivated Juhl/Pedersen took opening games from 16-18 down to 21-18. The Japanese forced rubber games and Danish veterans started with explosive style at final game, Matsutomo/Takahashi made brief comeback to close the gap but Juhl/Pedersen still focused to bag second title in this year after IND GP Gold last January.

New Superseries champion has been emerged in MS discipline, Sai Praneeth B. topped SIN Open podium. Srikanth had good start at first game and early stage of second game but its too bad Srikanth ran out of steam and lost self confidence to his compatriot, fitness issue is the key factor, credit to the tenacious Praneeth who played well along this tournament. Tai Tzu Ying is simply the best right now, once again she outmaneuvered the Olympic Champion and pocketed third Superseries crown of 2017 after AE and MAS Premier. Marin fought hard to counter attack, changed tactic, speed up the tempo but still had no answer how to defeat her skillful opponent. Anticlimax for MD final, quite disappointment to close final day, the vast experienced Boe/Mogensen were too strong for the Chinese youngsters with solid defense and accuracy placement.

Well, Superseries tour will take two months break and will be resumed in INA Premier, upcoming June. Next month, first BWF major event of this year will coming soon, Sudirman Cup :)

7. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Totally agree!

Sent from my MI NOTE LTE using Tapatalk

8. blimbing

blimbing New Member

even gillian clark often says 'exciting to watch'

but some people don't like it

ask lee yong dae to play again

wakwakwak

melon94 likes this.
  9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

True. There is something about kevin sanjaya that makes him exciting to watch, fresh breath of air. That semifinal win at AE has everything.

of course, exciting cant always give you titles but even if exciting play gives you titles (6 out of 6), people still will think otherwise. So i dont get it.

titionthewall and melon94 like this.
  10. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Nah. Exciting to watch is only for awhile. It won't be long until flat play become a norm and thus, overused.
    I don't mind it but I would like some variation so that it won't be the same flat vs flat.

11. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

It should be interesting how MD will developes in the next few months with the timer of World Championship running short.
    Which pair will sizzle out and which pair will rise again?
    I just hope that it will be exciting.

nizze likes this.
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Serious? He could have died. And yet to be back at the top of badminton, it is incredible.

13. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Isn't that due to medical advances? What used to be ' sure die' becomes ' can survive' . Our Singapore finance minister collapsed during a cabinet meeting, got attended to immediately by three colleagues who happen to be former doctors, survived the massive stroke and six months later, he s back at his job, like before.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Seen a few who don't get back to normal. And medical care is not the same across the world. A city hospital may have different facilities to University hospitals. Carsten fell ill in Russia.

For the Singaporean, I am sure access to the hospital was expediated. Good systems are in place in Singapore but with his status, he would not get lost in the system. On the other hand, Lee Kuan Yew's wife had a stroke and placed in A&E for a number of hours (in London). He was appalled at the inefficiency and moved the wife out. Granted this was many years ago but I gather waiting times in the UK are still very long.

15. SixSeven

SixSeven Regular Member

Disastrous prediction. xD

16. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

:p Only two right. Hey, at least it's 2/5.