News/Articles on World Championships 2009

Discussion in 'World Championships 2009' started by robin7, May 15, 2009.

1. hieupt

hieupt Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Nguyen To Win! (M <-> W) !!!:cool:

or maybe

Not This Moment!

Hope he can do the best! :)

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Your Term (Not This Moment) certainly suits him at the moment:p

3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Gade hopes to go one better

M Ratnakar, TNN 8 August 2009, 01:30am IST

HYDERABAD: Former world No.1 Peter Hoeg Gade of Denmark lavished praise on Indian ace Saina Nehwal.

The former All England champion, who is here to compete in the Yonex Sunrise World Badminton Championships beginning on August 10, said that Saina is as good as any other top player in the world and a big threat to Chinese dominance.

‘‘Saina is very talented. She had proved herself by winning several titles and is challenging the Chinese dominance. She’s as good as any other top player in the world. I wish her more success," Gade said.

A silver medallist at the 2001 Worlds in Seville (Spain), Gade, regarded as one of the best players in the world, believes that he has it in him to go all the way this time. ‘‘It’s my dream to win the World Championships. I came so close to winning it and I badly want to realize my dream.

‘‘I am in perfect shape now. We have planned in such a manner that I should peak at the Championships. I think I have reached that stage now," said Gade, who has been training seriously for about four months for the Championships.

The current world No.3, who is likely to meet defending champion Lin Dan in the semi-finals said he would have preferred to be in the bottom half of the draw. ‘‘The draw was tough. In my half there are several former champions and if everything goes according to plan I may meet Lin Dan in the semi-finals.

"It could have been better if I were in the other half. But these things are not in our hands and I am not worrying about it now. I’ll take it match by match and I know I have to beat several big players to reach the semi-finals and I am confident of doing so," he said.

The 33-year-old Dane, who has won three Super Series tournaments in the last one year, said that he may retire after the next World Championships in Paris. ‘‘I know London Olympics (2012) is very far away for me and I may retire after next Worlds. It’s one tough decision," Gade said.

taken from : The Times of India -- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Gade-hopes-to-go-one-better/articleshow/4869633.cms

4. Raphy

Raphy Regular Member

Very soon, my friend, very soon.. As some other countries too, like Japan, China and others... Badzine is expanding ! ;-)

5. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

6. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    wow that was a close one, he nearly missed the champs....

7. george@chongwei

Looks like the reporters was all over chong wei this time in Hyderabad..
    They took so 'good care' of him this time:p

Chong Wei frets about wind on court

PLAYING in the Gachibowli Stadium can be quite tricky, says world No. 1 men’s singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei.
    “There is draught in the stadium from all directions. But all the players will have to get used to it,” he said.
    Yesterday, Chong Wei and the Malaysian team spent two hours at the venue for the World Championships, which will begin tomorrow.
    “Everyone will have to learn to adapt. But it is certainly not as windy as in the Indian Open (in April),” he said.
    “So far, everything is okay and we are well taken care of. Our team chefs served us with a good meal today.”
    National singles coach Misbun Sidek was also pleased to see that the players had adapted quickly to the situation in Hyderabad.
    “No one has any complaints so far. They have been diligently doing what is required of them. They had a good workout today,” he said.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2009/8/9/sports/4486839&sec=sports

8. george@chongwei

Badminton: Organisers move to allay fears after report on terrorist threat

By RAJES PAUL

A NEWSPAPER report in Hyderabad that the World Championships venue may be a target of terrorist attack has put fear and anxiety in the minds of everyone yesterday.
    [​IMG] The newspaper report that left Hyderabad in fear.
    National doubles chief coach Rexy Mainaky said his eyes nearly popped out when he read about the threat in the local newspaper, The Times of India, in the morning.
    “I was shocked to read the report which said that the world meet will be one of the targets,” said Rexy.
    The initial reaction was understandable because there were incidents of bombings in Hyderabad last year.
    But the Badminton World Federa&shy;tion (BWF) quickly played down the report, saying there was no such threat.
    The BWF held an emergency meeting with the security team to discuss the article that appeared on the front page of the newspaper. It claimed that a group of terrorist was targeting the world meet, which will begin at the Gachibowli Stadium tomorrow.
    The Cyberrabad Police Commis&shy;sioner, Prabakhar Reddy, also issued a press statement later yesterday confirming that there was no security threat.
    “There is no specific threat to the security of the World Championships. There were no calls or threats made to the security of the world meet,” he said.
    “Whatever measures we are taking now (on assigning many security personnel) are routine.
    “There has been a general alert to tighten up the security because of our upcoming Independent Day celebration on Aug 15. This is what we do every year ahead of the celebration.”
    The teams, however, have been advised to be patient as they go through several security check points at the hotel and the stadium throughout the one-week competition.
    Rexy said the Malaysian players would not let the matter affect their preparation for the world meet.
    “We are quite strict about our players’ whereabouts. For now, we are confined to the hotel and stadium only,” said Rexy.
    “We have also asked the team members to stay calm. We have to rely on who we believe and ask for God’s protection.

“The players have been told to stay calm and to focus on their dreams of making history here.
    “I am not making light of this matter but we have to take it in the proper perspective.”
    All the teams have arrived for the world meet and had a feel of the stadium throughout the day.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2009/8/9/sports/4486753&sec=sports

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmmm..

- "A/C draft from all directions??..Not as windy as in the Indian Open??"..I don't know if that's good or bad??..Wait til they have to turn on and turn off the A/C...or will they??..:confused:
    - I wonder what was served in in the meal??..Nasi lemak?? Mee goreng?? Penang Laksa?? Curry Mee??..:confused:

10. george@chongwei

Lin Dan is superior to Chong Wei, says Yongbo

EVERYONE wants to watch a men’s singles match between world number one Lee Chong Wei and China’s Lin Dan in the World Championships.
    And a confident China chief coach Li Yongbo says that the two-time world champion Lin Dan will win the title if both are playing to their best of abilities.
    “Currently, Lin Dan and Chong Wei are the best two men’s singles players in the world. But my pick is on Lin Dan,” said Yongbo at a rare press conference appearance yesterday.
    “In every way of the game, I think Lin Dan is superior to Chong Wei. But if Lin Dan is not playing to his true form and Chong Wei does extremely well, then the match will favour the Malaysian,” he said.
    There is a possibility that Chong Wei and Lin Dan will clash in the semi-finals of the world meet barring any upsets in the early round.
    Chong Wei’s early stumbling blocks are Vietnamese Nguyen Tien Minh and Sony Dwi Kuncoro of Indonesia while Lin Dan should get past his compatriot Bao Chunlai of China and Denmark’s evergreen shuttler Peter-Gade Christensen to set up a clash with Chong Wei.
    The rivalry between Chong Wei and Lin Dan has been going on for a while. Chong Wei pulled off an amazing win over Lin Dan in the semi-final tie of the Thomas Cup Finals but Lin Dan showed he was one step ahead by tearing the Malaysian apart in the final of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and the All-England.
    Yongbo took a jibe at the Badminton World Federation (BWF) on the draw, which has put Lin Dan and Bao in the same quarter: “I do not want to say a lot on the draw. This has happened so frequently that one has to just accept it.”
    On the overall expectation of China in the world meet, Yongbo said: “Because of excellent past records in the world, the expectations are always high on the team. More than winning, it is my hope that all my players will live up to the expectations of them.” Yongbo, who was quite jovial throughout the 30-minute press conference, was very generous in praising India yesterday.
    Firstly, he commented on Saina Nehwal’s achievement in beating the Chinese players en route to winning the Indonesian Open and then, he praised the the hard work put up by the organisers to provide the best security for the players.
    “I have seen Saina improving since winning the world junior title. I hope she will do well here as it will certainly generate a lot of attention for badminton in this country,” he said.

we'll see, we'll see:rolleyes:

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2009/8/10/sports/4488798&sec=sports

11. george@chongwei

maybe penang laksa or some mew choo home cook soup:D:p
    wakaka

12. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Second pair Boe-Mogensen a major threat, says Indonesia coach Sigit

DENMARK’S Lars Paaske-Jonas Rasmussen may have won the world title before but the second pair Mathias Boe-Carsten Mogensen are seen as a bigger threat at the World Championships.

At least, this is the opinion of Indonesia’s doubles coach Sigit Pamungkas.
    Sigit says Boe-Mogensen are one of the four pairs capable of winning the men’s doubles title.

The others are Malaysia’s Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, South Koreans Lee Yong-dae-Jung Jae-sung and China’s Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng.

Paaske-Rasmussen emerged as the 2003 world champions in Birmingham but Sigit said that the Danes had slowed down.

“One should tread with caution when they are up against (Boe-Mogensen). This pair can be dangerous and growing to be a tough nut to crack,” he said.
    The sixth seeded Danish pair played fantastically to stun Yong-dae-Jae-sung in the final of the Korean Open in February. The duo also played a crucial role to help Denmark emerge as the European team champions.

“All focus will be on Malaysia’s Koo-Tan, Koreans Lee-Jung and China’s Cai Yun-Haifeng. They are all good enough for the title but it will depend on how they perform on the day because they all can be inconsistent too,” he said.
    Sigit said that he did not leave out Indonesians among the title contenders on purpose.

Due to the absence of defending champions and Olympic winners Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan, Indonesia have to bank on their youngsters – Bona Septano-Mohd Ahsan and Yonathan Suryatama Dasuki-Rian Sukmawan – in Hyderabad.

“Our players are inexperienced but they have been showing progress. We are grooming them to be our medal hopes at the 2012 London Olympic Games,” he said.

“Currently, out of the two pairs, Bona-Ahsan has a slight edge as far as consistency is concerned.

“We have no targets here but it will be a bonus for us and a morale booster for the young players if they can spring a surprise or two,” he added.

Source: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2009/8/11/sports/4492031&sec=sports

13. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Veteran Dicky shows he’s still a force to be reckoned with

HOLLAND’S Dicky Palyama has not won an international Open title in the last 12 years but yesterday he showed that he is a force to be reckoned with by pulling off one of his biggest career wins in the World Championships.

The 30-year-old Dicky stunned 11th seed Bao Chunlai of China with a 21-18, 21-14 win to march into the second round.

It was Dicky’s second win over Bao who also lost to him in the Korean Open five years ago.

He said that the win was a big surprise.

“I am getting married next month and probably my mind was more on that coming into the world meet,” said Dicky.

“I usually don’t do well against him but I think, today, I kept my nerves to win it. He staged a good fightback in the second game when I was leading 14-9 and fortunately, I kept my cool until the end.”

Dicky is expected to proceed to the third round, where he is expected to take on Olympic champion Lin Dan. And it will not be easy to beat the reigning world champion.

“I will go into my next match with the same attitude. I have been competing in every World Championships since my first at Glasgow and so far, it has been good for me,” he said.

Dicky’s win is certainly a huge morale booster for him since he took up the game at the age of 18.

“It is so difficult to be the only player from Holland. It is not easy to go out there and take on five Chinese or five Malaysian players. I have not decided whether this will be my last world meet – I will have to ask my future wife,” he added.

On his unexpected defeat to Dicky, Bao, who has just recovered from a knee injury, replied to a small group of journalists from China: “I just don’t know what happened today. It is disappointing.”

Source: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2009/8/11/sports/4495530&sec=sports

14. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Peter-Gade enjoys ‘old man’ status

BEING rated as one of the title contenders at the age of 32 years old is certainly not too bad for Danish Peter-Gade Christensen.In fact, he is relishing every moment of it.

And on a good day, Christensen is confident that he can take down either world number one Lee Chong Wei or China’s Lin Dan.

However, he is realistic of his chances in his seventh World Championships outing in Hyderabad here.

Yesterday, he got off to a flying start with a 21-11, 21-16 win over Ukraine’s Valeriy Atrashchenkov in the first round.

“Without doubt, I am here to win a medal. But I have to be realistic as it is going to be quite tough. My first goal is to check into the last eight,” he said.
    Barring any upsets, he is expected to take on Lin Dan of China in the quarter-finals.

“I think I am one of the older ones among the top players here. But I am ranked third in the world and still am at my best.

“On my best day, I can beat Chong Wei or Lin Dan. I have shown that I can do it by winning three Super Series titles. I will give my best shot here,” he said.

Currently, the top six are world number one Chong Wei, followed by Chen Jin of China, Christensen, Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia, Lin Dan and Indonesia’s Sony Dwi Kuncoro.

“I know that these same players have been up there for about five years. But I do not think that they are going to make it easy for anyone trying to break through,” said Christensen.

“Younger players have to work hard to take over the top players’ places in the rankings.”

Having the experience of playing for more than a decade, Gade-Christensen said that the things that happens in the world of badminton never ceases to amaze him.

“I laughed about it (on England’s withdrawal from the competition following reports of possible terrorist attacks during the world meet). There is always a possible risk anywhere in the world,” he said.

“But it is England’s call and I would rather not comment on it. I was worried initially because I too have family back home. But there have been assurances and let us hope that the focus would be on the game from now onwards.”

Contrary to the views of others, Christensen said that the Badminton World Federation’s (BWF) decision to host the world event annually except during the Olympic Games year, would not take away the pride or value of a player winning a world title.

”Aside from the Olympics, I consider it as the second most important event and I for one, will be very happy to have the world title under my belt,” added Gade-Christensen, who came close to nailing one but went down to Hendrawan of Indonesia in the 2001 final in Seville.

Source: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2009/8/11/sports/4493817&sec=sports

15. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Unheralded Ukrainians send Rexy’s fancied pair Razif-Khe Wei packing

NATIONAL doubles chief coach Rexy Mainaky had big dreams for his fancied pair of Mohd Razif Abdul Latif-Woon Khe Wei to make a mark in the mixed doubles.

But yesterday, Razif-Khe Wei shattered his trust in them by falling to unheralded Valeriy Atrashchenkov-Elena Prus of Ukraine 17-21, 21-9, 17-21 in the first round of the World Championships.

Rexy was visibly disappointed over the pair that once was rated as the best mixed pair in the back-up squad since playing together at this year’s Malaysian Open.

“It was not their best performances. They did not show the same fire and motivation as the Ukrainians. They played as though it was just another ordinary tournament,” said Rexy.

“They were leading 6-1 in the opening game but Razif was playing too safe. This is an opportunity for them to show off but they failed to make use of it.
    “Maybe, they have taken their opponents lightly. They have been quite stagnant and I will have to review what had gone wrong.”

With Razif-Khe Wei out, Malaysia’s hopes will be on three other mixed doubles pairs – Koo Kien Keat-Ng Hui Lin, Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu Ying and Ong Jien Guo-Sabrina Chong.

Meanwhile, women’s pair Lim Yin Loo-Marylen Ng Poau Leng also bowed out in the first round yesterday, losing to Japan’s Shizuka Matsuo-Mami Naito 8-21, 16-21.

Today, Malaysia’s top women’s doubles pair – world number one and top seeds Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty – will be in action when they take on Sweden’s Emelie Lennartsson-Emma Wengberg.

Source: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2009/8/11/sports/4495532&sec=sports

16. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Badminton: Chong Wei clears first hurdle, Bao bows out

MALAYSIA’s world number one men singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei buried the ghost of the past at the Gachibowli Stadium to advance to the second round but China suffered a major setback when one of their title contenders Bao Chunlai fell in the first round at the World Championships yesterday.

Top seed Chong Wei took his time to beat Germany Dieter Domke 21-14, 21-10 in 25 minutes in the opening match.

The win was ironically achieved at the same court where he was shocked by Chen Long of China in the opening round of the Indian Open in April.

“It was at this same court that I lost in the first round the last time I was here. The defeat was playing in the back of my mind. But I am happy, I made it through this time,” said Chong Wei.

“I did make some easy mistakes in the first game. But overall, I am happy with my performance.”

He will have a break today while the second group of the men’s singles will be in action.

“This is the first time that there will be a day’s break between the matches and I have no problem with that.”

While Chong Wei settled in well to strengthen his bid to become the country’s first world champion, there was a major panic in the China’s camp with a sluggish Bao, who was reduced to tears after losing 18-21, 14-21 to Dicky Palyama of Holland.

It was one of Bao’s worst defeat in recent times and it could see him even being dropped from the national team.

The lanky shuttler had been bugged with a knee injury and only got back to full training about two weeks ago.

China’s Lin Dan, who breezed into the second round with a convincing 21-9, 21-11 win over Misha Zilberman of Israel, came to the defence of Bao yesterday.

“I do not think Bao was at his best in this tournament. He was not in the good mood as he used to be,” said Lin Dan. “But if he is in his best, even Chong Wei and I are not assured of a win against him. It is unfortunate that he has to lose in this manner.”

On his approach for the world meet, Lin Dan tried his best to deflect the pressure that comes with being a two-time champion and the hot favourite to win again.

“I think, the standard of play in the men’s singles is almost on par. The title can go to anyone who plays their best on that day,” he said.

“I am hailed as the favourite but I think, Chong Wei and Peter-Gade (Christensen) are the favourites here. I have come prepared and I will give my best,” he added.

Malaysia’s challenge however, has been reduced to only two so far in the men’s singles after a tame defeat of Lee Tsuen Seng yesterday.

Seasoned campaigner Wong Choong Hann will begin his quest for honours when he takes on Ville Lang of France today.

In the women’s singles, Malaysia’s Wong Mew Choo also advanced to the second round with a effortless 21-4, 21-6 win over Shannol Pohl of United States.

“This is a good start although I have not been tested to the limit yet. I will be playing against Ai Goto of Japan next (on Wednesday) and I am bracing myself for a tough time,” said Mew Choo.

Source: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2009/8/11/sports/4495528&sec=sports

17. siralop

siralop Regular Member

Bum
    Swine flu scare hits World Badminton tournament in Hyderabad

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...urnament-in-Hyderabad/articleshow/4880095.cms

18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

LYB is a joke . How can LD be superior to LCW?
    Don't he remember the SC 09 match? That was a revealing, watershed match clearly outlined by LD's 'LCW is superior' body language.

In that match (although LD won), LD was behaving like a challenger. LD required 3 types of insurance to help him take out LCW.

1) LD had to pump himself up constantly with just about every winning point. (This suggests LD views LCW as an uphill battle.)

2) LD had to constantly use delay tactics to disrupt LCW's serve. The variety included his housekeeping like changing his grip tape! The camera was often on LCW waiting because the TV knew not to show LD time wasting.
    The umpire did nothing until LCW got fed up and dumped the shuttle on the floor.
    CHN's the place where LD knows he can treat umpires like scarecrows because they have either been charmed earlier or have no guts to do their job properly.

3) LD was constantly getting coaching from his two coaches during the whole match.

Why would an Olympic and World champion have to go down so low to defeat an opponent?
    Because his coaches think LD's opponent is superior to him, that's why?
    Does LD use any of these elements throughout a match against other opponents except LCW?

Actually, it 's not that difficult to beat a CHN player. The strategy is to instigate a mental collapse. As long as the non-CHN opponent has the skills to deliver, they should always take the risk of dictating play; unpredictably mix up their game (even if it means playing an A- game, rather than the A game) to cause mental uncertainty. Once mental duress sets in the CHN player's mind, collapse follows naturally.

19. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
  20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think Ville Lang is from Finland. :cool: