News/Articles on World Championships 2009

Discussion in 'World Championships 2009' started by robin7, May 15, 2009.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Thursday, Jul 30, 2009

BWF finalises schedule for World badminton

HYDERABAD: The organising committee chairman and joint-secretary of Badminton Association of K. Ch. Punnaiah Choudhary, said here on Wednesday that all the matches of the BWF Yonex-Sunrise world badminton championship scheduled to be held at Gachibowli Stadium here from August 10 to 16 will commence only in the afternoon session at 1.20 p.m.

The championship will witness 60 matches each on the first three days on six courts, 40 matches on August 13, the quarter-finals on August 14 on four courts, semi-finals on August 15 on two courts and the final on August 16 at 2.30 pm, according to a BWF communication here on Wednesday.

In all, the organising committee has to take care of 255 matches in five events — men’s and women’s singles, doubles for both categories besides the mixed doubles, according to the BAI official. — Principal Correspondent

source : The Hindu Online -- http://www.hindu.com/2009/07/30/stories/2009073056422000.htm

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

it looks like it:cool:;)
    anyway, dont worry uncle. i'm sure u will catch the match between ntm and lcw in front of your eyes by then.:)

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You can't compare NTM with LCW. :rolleyes:

NTM has no coach, no government support, and no good facilities! LCW has almost a personal coach and recently, even managed to get his rival's coach to tip him on how to beat LD.

Conversely, NTM has very much to rely on himself, his family, perhaps his close friends too and his own resources, until lately when he managed to get some sponsorship because of his determination, discipline and good showing at tournaments. But he never really complained despite his lack of assistance, that's why when he beat the world number 1, he was shocked but very happy that he can do it. You can be sure he will try even harder when they next meet again!

Not only me, but the badminton world will be watching very closely his match with LCW at R3, assuming both succeeded in R2. I will have very good company watching the TV. :D

#84 Loh, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  5. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

:D..looks like Abedeng have failed to influence you to join his trip to India...:D:D

6. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    No thanks to someone who spooked Loh out with stories of hot weather .....:mad::mad::mad:

7. george@chongwei

Looks like the website not ready yet..:(

8. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Oh...:eek:..pardon me, Abedeng.......dun be angrylah !.........:eek::eek:

9. event

event Regular Member

10. budibadibu

budibadibu Regular Member

Student
    i've seen that magazine..it's great..wondering when indonesia have something like that..haha..

11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Fit-again Saina returns to practice

Shivani Naik
    Posted : Tuesday, Aug 04, 2009 at 0859hrs

Mumbai :
    For all the challenges that Saina Nehwal has managed to brave on a badminton court, returning from a bout of mild chicken pox with a world championship only a week away is an altogether different proposition.

As Nehwal returned to practice on Monday at coach P Gopichand’s academy after having given the irritation a week to subside, she spoke of the mental fortitude that sets her apart. “I know sportspersons who, in a similar situation, would have given up, lost hope.

But I’m mentally very strong and was always prepared to go back on court and give my best. I never gave not playing a thought,” she said after training for an hour on Monday and sounding unperturbed about the lost time.

“It felt good to come back, in fact I really enjoyed it out there. It’ll take two-three days to get my rhythm back, but I’m feeling alright now, and there’s no problem. Today I didn’t feel exhausted,” she said.

Father Harvir Singh said Nehwal was offered the option of taking another couple of days to rest by coach Gopichand and return on Wednesday, but she preferred to start right away. Her mentor suggested an easy pace of return, saying that he’d step up training gradually and only if he was convinced the 19-year-old could take the load.

“We’ll take it as it comes. She might not be 100 per cent, but we’ll work on it,” he said. Adding that the setback in preparations for her home world championships as No 6 in the world would’ve hurt her mightily, Gopi said: “She had been training really hard before she was forced to stop because of the infection. But she’s a very strong girl, and she won’t give anything less than 100 per cent of what is expected of her.”

While Nehwal was restricted from travelling and was mostly confined to the house, she admitted that she’d been desperate to get going. The rash marks have now dried up and the doctor has permitted her to take a shower, which means that the illness is past its infectious stage.

taken from : The Indian Express -- http://www.indianexpress.com/news/fitagain-saina-returns-to-practice/497701/0

12. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Courtesy of ANTARA NEWS:
    Kido/Hendra Absen di Kejuaraan Dunia

Selasa, 4 Agustus 2009 23:47 WIB

(Prasetyo Utomo)
    Jakarta (ANTARA News) - Ganda putra peringkat satu dunia Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan dipastikan tidak akan mempertahankan gelarnya pada Kejuaraan Dunia yang akan berlangsung di Hyderabad, India, 10-16 Agustus.

Kepastian tersebut disampaikan Media & Communications Manager Federasi Bulutangkis Dunia (BWF) Selvaamresh Supramaniam melalui pesan singkat, Selasa malam.

Ia memastikan hal itu setelah panitia menerima surat dari Pengurus Besar Persatuan Bulutangkis Seluruh Indonesia (PBSI) mengenai tidak akan berpastisipasinya pasangan juara Olimpiade tersebut.

Kabar mengenai kemungkinan pasangan Kido/Hendra absen di Kejuaraan Dunia sudah merebak pada pekan-pekan terakhir menjelang kejuaraan tersebut berlangsung, namun hingga saat ini PB PBSI belum memberi keterangan resmi.

Absennya Kido/Hendra, lanjut Selvaam, akan memberi kemenangan WO (walkover) bagi lawan mereka pada putaran kedua, Hu Chung Shien/Tsai Chia Hsin dari Taiwan karena kedua pasangan mendapat bye pada putaran pertama.

"Tidak akan ada pengganti posisi (mereka) WO," ujar Selvaam.

Dengan demikian, Indonesia akan mengandalkan pasangan unggulan ketujuh Bona Septano/Mohammad Ahsan dan unggulan 11 Rian Sukmawan/Yonatan Suryatama pada nomor ganda putra.

Selain mereka, Indonesia rencananya juga mengirim juara bertahan ganda campuran Nova Widianto/Liliyana Natsir, runner-up tunggal putra Sony Dwi Kuncoro, juara 2005 Taufik Hidayat, serta Simon Santoso, Maria Kristin, Adriyanti Firdasari, Greysia Polii/Nitya Krishinda, Shendy Puspa Irawati/Meiliana Jauhari dan Devin Lahadri/Lita Nurlita. (*)

And now, the translation:-

KIDO/HENDRA ABSENT FROM THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

(Reported By: Prasetyo Utomo)

Tuesday, 4 August 2009

Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The Men's Doubles World No 1 Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan are now certain of not defending their title at the World Championships in Hyderabad, India, from 10-16 August.

This confirmation was provided by the Media & Communications Manager of the Badminton World Federation (BWF) Selvaamresh Supramaniam through short messaging service, on Tuesday night.

It confirmed the matter after the organizers received a letter from the General Manager of the All-Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI) regarding the withdrawal of the Olympic champions.

Rumours of the possibility of the pair of Kido/Hendra being out of the World Championships had already circulated in these last few days before the tournament, however until now the GM of PBSI had not provided official confirmation.

The absence of Kido/Hendra, according to Selvaam, will provide a WO (walkover) victory to their opponents in the 2nd round, Hu Chung Shien/Tsai Chia Hsin from Taiwan since both pairts have received byes in the 1st round.

"There will be no replacement (for them) WO" said Selvam.

With that, Indonesia will be banking on their seventh ranked pair of Bona Septano/Mohammad Ahsan and the 11th ranked Rian Sukmawan/Yanatan Suryatama in the men's doubles event.

Other than them, Indonesia is sending the mixed doubles defending champions Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir, men's singles runnerup Sony Dwi Kuncoro, champion of 2005 Taufik Hidayat, together with Simon Santoso, Maria Kristin, Adriyanti Firdasari, Greysia Polii/Nitya Krishinda, Shendy Puspa Irawati/Meiliana Jauhari and Devin Lahadri/Lita Nurlita. (*)

13. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Good to know SN is back.........but sad for MK/HS.............

14. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

maybe they will back at last minute ;)

15. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Could that happen ? BWF have issued notice about their withdrawal.......anyway lets hope they will....................:D:D

16. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

05 August 2009

Ami Afriatni

Seafood Sends Shuttler Spinning Out of the World Championship

Indonesian badminton has a new enemy, and its name is seafood.

Some dodgy shellfish knocked Markis Kido and men’s doubles partner Hendra Setiawan out of the upcoming World Championship, denying them a chance to defend their world title in Hyderabad, India, on Aug. 10-16.

Markis was hospitalized at Jakarta’s Mitra Hospital from July 22-26 after passing out during training due to high blood pressure. The 25-year-old said it happened because he ate too much seafood during a long weekend in mid-July.

“I’ve never been like that before. I’ve been hit by high blood pressure several times before, but each time I only felt dizzy and have never been hospitalized because of that,” Markis said on Wednesday. “I know it’s my mistake and I really regret that. Now I’m so upset I can’t compete. I have to keep reporting my condition to the doctor.”

After spending four days in the hospital, he went back home and started training again early this week, but the Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI) did not want to take a risk by sending him and Hendra to the world championship.

PBSI sent the withdrawal letter to the Badminton World Federation on Tuesday.

“It is a preventive measure because we don’t want Markis’s condition to get worse,” said Lius Pongoh, the PBSI head of athletes’ development. “But the rest of the players will still participate.”

However, PBSI secretary general Jacob Rusdianto said he would still consult with doctors before deciding today whether the pair could go to Hyderabad.

News of Markis and Hendra’s withdrawal delivered a blow to Indonesia’s hopes of ending a long dry spell of championship. One of the sport’s most successful nations has one Super Series title this year and has won none in the last five events, most glaringly at its home tournament.

Indonesia’s only top-tier championship this year came in the season-opening Malaysia Open Super Series in January, where Nova Widianto and Liliyana Natsir won the mixed doubles crown.

With Markis and Hendra out of the mix, Indonesia has two pairs in men’s doubles — seventh-seeded Bona Septano and Mohammad Ahsan, and No. 11 seeds Rian Sukmawan and Yonatan Suryatama Dasuki.

Defending mixed doubles champions Nova and Liliyana travel to Hyderabad in search of a third overall world championship before putting an end to their partnership. Devin Lahadri Fitriawan and Lita Nurlita will also compete in mixed doubles.

The men’s singles contingent includes 2007 runner-up Sony Dwi Kuncoro, 2005 world champion Taufik Hidayat and Simon Santoso. Maria Kristin Yulianti and Adriyanti Firdasari make up the country’s women’s singles hopes . Greysia Polii and Nitya Krishinda will compete in women’s doubles, as will Shendy Puspa Irawati and Meiliana Jauhari.

source : the Jakarta Globe -- http://thejakartaglobe.com/sports/s...spinning-out-of-the-world-championship/322368

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Geeezzz...^^

..how many bucket loads of shellfish did Markis devour??...:eek:

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    poor Hendra Setiawan, he's ready to go but has to sit out too

19. george@chongwei

yup, not just Hendra Setiawan but Petr Koukal of CZECH republic too..
    Poor him. Nguyen tien minh can be consider as quite lucky too since his case are quite similar to this too in my humble opinion.

PETR KOUKAL: No Funding, No Worlds [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Czech Republic's Petr Koukal will not be going to Hyderabad. Not because of an ongoing injury, as some other players who have qualified. But because the tall shuttler has no money to travel and his national association's help isn't enough.

Raphael Sachetat. Photo: Badmintonphoto (archives)

Petr Koukal is one of the many shuttlers on the tour who struggle to make a living. Not only that. He struggles to just be able to take part in competitions, all year long. And when it came to the World Championships, he had expected that his federation could give him a hand. He was offered 500 euros. Not enough to pay for the flight.

"Here are the facts. The Association only supports us - Vondra and Ludikova and myself - with 500EUR. For the other 1500EUR, we have to pay ourselves. I pay for my own tournaments all year long - about 15,000 to 20,000 euros every year. This is the World Championships and I think they should fund us as they get money from our government. I had some arguments with my Association about it," said the friendly Czech, who also admitted honestly that his draw was tough and that he had also considered this when deciding not to spend so much of his own money for the trip.

[​IMG]"Besides, it is not about the money, it is about the principles. At least the biggest events they should pay for it. So many young players stop playing because there is absolutely no support when they are turning to seniors. If they don't get money from a club abroad, it is impossible to play tournaments," added Koukal.

"I even have to pay for my own shuttles. I don't think people imagine this," added the shuttler.

Calling for sparring

The Czech has even called the international community for help, in order to get better training conditions. He currently seeks an Asian player, ready to spar with him for 3 months, whom is he ready to pay and help make extra money with private coaching camps.

"I have found this solution only as I have to rely on myself. I am willing to pay someone to come and train with me in Czech Republic. Someone from Asia, willing to work 4 to 6 hours everyday with good spirits," said the willing shuttler.

In the meantime, only Vondra and Ludikova will be heading towards Hyderabad, hoping to perform well as they have put up the money themselves, like many other shuttlers who will compete in India.

http://www.badzine.info/index.php/news/international/1982-petr-koukal-no-funding-no-worlds.html

20. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Very disappointing for Koukal .....

Maybe BC should start a fund for "underprivileged" WC qualifiers. I am willing to contribute.