New Scoring System from September 2016

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Toastie, Apr 20, 2016.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    As a spectator, I guess that the games will get a bit boring. Everything will lead to safety and perfection for the first few points, because you will know you can't catch up at 4:8. Especially in doubles the serve, serve return and 3rd shot will become more important. The game don't have a tension which will be set up slowly. I think watching badminton will loose some attraction to me.

As a player, who tried the new scoring once during club night and once on a fun tournament I can tell you, that it's really mental **** up. If you play against unknown players you don't have time for variations and try-out of weak spots. At the end the one wins, who do less errors. If you have a good start you are motivated to do the few points till 11 to win the set. If you lay back you give up pretty early. The difference in points become too fast too important and set up the pressure pretty early. For singles against opponent I know, I like it. It fits me, but for doubles it was pretty annoying and for tournaments it didn't fit me, too.

2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Indeed, in the German Bundesliga players tend to play with a little more safety margin. But I'm not sure how that would be to the detriment of the audience; the result is longer and more spectacular rallies, and fewer outright winners or losers. Especially in Men's doubles, where rallies are often over after less than six shots, this should be a boon for the game, shouldn't it?

Additionally, since there's a good chance one of the two concurrent matches in the league is close to the end of a game, there is always tension, whereas previously, audiences were often more relaxed and only started to really focus on games when they were coming to an end - say 18+ points.

3. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

i think all the speculation about who it favors does not lead to anything

you always have too keep in mind that you need to win 3 sets instead of 2, so slowstarters will lose the first set, but who cares if the opponent needs to win 3?! it could actually be an advantage for slow starters because they only lose one of 3 sets instead of one of 2

the same goes for the variance thing, it is of course easier now to win a set off a better player, but you need to win THREE of them now...so in my opinion that evens out

now that they came to sense to settle the set at 15-14 instead of 11-10 (which would have been absolutly desastrous, settle it even higher like 21 oder 25 would have been even more to my taste), i am actually fairly open to try it
    especially since im over the big 3-0 in years so i wont be the fitter guy on the court forever :D

however i love to fight in a set..like yesterday when i won a match because i came back from very very bad starts, 10-15 in sets 1 and 3 which i ended up winning...so to take that away (fighting, trailing, biting to keep in the game, and eventually overtaking) will hurt my experience of playing badminton

I dont think it will make any difference for the numbers of spectators tho....

4. visor

visor Regular Member

With this format, I don't think BWF is interested in increasing the number of spectators as much as increasing the number of commercial breaks... likely to help the broadcaster generate more $$...

5. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    The BWF is a troop of cucumbers. I need fancy stunts to watch the hosted events in their channel here. To watch a strange type of NC-17 or X-rated stuff is much easier. lol

I think the shorter games make the rent for the stadium and hire of employees much cheaper. I notice since years on the YGO that the time table is delayed by an hour or more in the evening.

A real tight game like 21:19, 21:23, 22:20 means over 120 rallies. An 11:9, 9:11, 11:9, 8:11, 11:9 game are less than 100 rallies. I think it saves easily 20 minutes per game.

6. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    The BWF is a troop of cucumbers. I need fancy stunts to watch the hosted events in their channel here. To watch a strange type of NC-17 or X-rated stuff is much easier. lol

I think the shorter games make the rent for the stadium and hire of employees much cheaper. I notice since years on the YGO that the time table is delayed by an hour or more in the evening.

A real tight game like 21:19, 21:23, 22:20 means over 120 rallies. An 11:9, 9:11, 11:9, 8:11, 11:9 game are less than 100 rallies. I think it saves easily 20 minutes per game.

7. ucantseeme

Z-Force II

8. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Disclaimer: I am a player ;)

The flagship badminton game - men's singles is essentially boring and ponderous as a spectator game except when LD vs LCW in last 8 years. It is great to play but a torture to watch.

So, it is not surprising for BWF to come up with crazy ideas to inject some elements of surprise, shock and unpredictability i.e. excitment into the game for spectators. Now, in the sports world today, spectators = $$$. Men's doubles is already pulsating but they cannot have 2 different scoring system for singles and doubles. Personally, although I am nearing 50, I love playing singles than watching it exception for LD/LCW Olympic matches.

9. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Most boring to me is WS and WD. Much respect to athlethes regardless which gender, but WS/WD is for a male not the game which he watch on regular base as a player because he can't identify with the players.

I normally play MD and XD as a player and mostly watch this disciplines. I rarely play singles and watch it rarely.

In the end it is really personal what bores and facinates and the reason for beeing a spectator are different. I met this year a woman at YGO. We came in touch, because she sat beside me and she was annoyed that I support Fuchs/Schöttler while she supported Lee/Yoo. I asked her, because she looked asian, where she plays badminton (club and league). She told me"No, I don't play. I'm here because I was curious what's going on here and I support LYD, because he is beautiful". facepalm level 9000.

10. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Hahaha ... many LD supporters esp girls are like that ... comment: he looks HOT !!! :p:D

11. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    That's because you don't watch it close enough. Once you watch from the sidelines. You can really see those tricks, positioning, how fast they move on so on. But I agree it is boring on TV. Real match and live conquers!!!

ucantseeme likes this.
  12. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Good point noted ! Top level live badminton is still something I have not seen except on TV.

13. R4yZ0r

R4yZ0r Regular Member

Student
    Capture.PNG
    In use at the 2016 Chinese Taipei Masters

pcll99 and visor like this.
  14. May Lee

May Lee New Member

I hope they don't change it to 11x5. Or os it official?

15. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Can you elaborate why you oppose the change?

In any case, it's currently a BWF experiment, so some official tournaments (see the post above yours) are using 5x11. In 2017, BWF will evaluate the results. Possible outcomes include:
    • BWF keeps 3x21
    • BWF switches to 5x11_15 (or 5x11/3, the option 2)
    • BWF keeps 3x21, but tests another scoring system (e.g. longer/shorter intervals, 3x15, 5x11_17, etc.)
    We'll know more after the AGM (May 20th, 2017). National, regional and private associations are likely to lag behind, so even if BWF switches to 5x11_15 entirely, national-/regional- level events may keep 3x21 for the next season as well.

16. May Lee

May Lee New Member

As a spectator, short matches are not very much fun to watch. It's fun seeing the players falling far behind but getting back up dramatically, and vice versa. It builds excitement.

As a player, for me, I take 3-4 rallies to get into the game. Maybe that's something I need to work on but I'd still prefer the 3x21.

17. maxout

maxout Regular Member

I expect it to be made official.

18. phihag

phihag Regular Member

But comebacks are more likely with 5x11! Most games where some party fell behind in 3x21 will be close in 5x11. For instance, if you lead 16-6, the game is almost certainly going to you, even if your opponent wins 60% of the rallies (which, if you calculate it, is a massive advantage). A corresponding game at 11-3 5-3 is naturally quite close. Yes, you won't see very large deficits anymore, the matches previously deemed uninteresting will be much more suspenseful if one player suddenly is able to compete at an even level.

19. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

So far I am still in the "prefer 21 point games" camp, however you make really compelling argument, phihag! :)

I will still miss the excitement of the extension to 30, if the official score would change...

20. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

you do get the excitement to 15 much more often though

It might be an advantage for players who are able to change gears, lay back one set and then come back very strong. Like older players saving energy or lazy players.
    Sometimes you get sleeped by your bad opponent and suddenly they play strong again but you are not able to get out of the sleep yourself