New Scoring System from September 2016

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Toastie, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Matted

Matted Regular Member

But why? Why not stick with the. 3x21?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Time constraints due to network coverage, I suppose.

3. Master

Master Regular Member

Several GP, IC/IS and FS (Future Series) tournaments had tried out the 11x5 option earlier in last 4 years (2014-2017).
    e.g.:
    Brasil Open (GP) 2014
    • Indonesia IC 2014
    • Chile IS 2014
    • Eurasia Bulgaria IS 2014
    • Slovak Open (FS) 2014
    • Guatemala IC 2014
    • Kharkiv IC 2014
    • Belgian IC 2014
    • Polish IS 2014
    • Auckland IS 2014
    • Sydney IS 2014
    • Colombia IS 2014
    Dutch Open (GP) 2014
    • Swiss IC 2014
    • Ethiopia IS 2014
    • Hatzor IS 2014
    • Nigeria IS 2014
    • Brazil IC 2014
    • Hungarian IS 2014
    • Morocco IS 2014
    • Uganda IS 2015
    • Romanian IS 2015
    • Slovak Open (FS) 2016
    Chinese Taipei Masters (GP) 2016
    • Hungarian IS 2016
    • India IS 2016
    • Finnish IS 2016
    • Tata Open India IC 2016
    • China IC 2017
    • Iran Fajr IC 2017
    Russian Open (GP) 2017

So, at least 32 tournaments had tried out the 11x5 scoring system.
    My interesting note is Hungarian IS used 11x5 in 2014 & 2016 and used 21x3 in 2015 & 2017.

4. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I think the biggest difference between the two scoring systems would be that currently, there can be big comebacks within a single set, whereas if it's changed to 5x11_15 then the comebacks would be in terms of sets (more like tennis), as in "comeback from 2 sets down to win the match". It's just a different perspective. Although, does this mean there will be a break at 6, or no breaks between sets (apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere in this thread)? Also, because of more breaks, the games will be faster as players are less fatigued (or have more chances to recover).

3x21_30 = minimum 42 rallies to win a match (42 total rallies), maximum 89 (177 total rallies)
    3x11_15 = minimum 33 rallies to win a match (33 total rallies), maximum 73 (145 total rallies)

So the new scoring system would reduce the minimum by 9 whilst reducing the maximum by 32 rallies. The median number of rallies would drop from 110 to 90 rallies, so 20 less rallies per game. On top of the extra number of breaks I don't think there will be a large decrease in match length using the new scoring system, but perhaps it'll provide for better network coverage options (ads, analysis, replays etc), although granted, 3x21_30 skews the matches towards the longer side as once it goes to the third set it's another guaranteed 21 rallies, whereas 5x11_15 there's every chance that it doesn't reach 5 sets, and so the matches will end faster.

Psychologically it may also not be a bad thing, as the increased number of sets will allow players to try to reset. I'm sure people know the feeling of "let's reset for the next game", and more sets provide more opportunities for players to change the momentum of the match which is great for viewers. Blowouts will still be blowouts in the new format, except it'll be even faster, and close games will still be close. It will force players to not make slow starts and be on the money from the first point of the first game. Although I agree that sometimes it takes a while to adjust to an opponent, but if your opponent went 10-1 in the first set then did they simply adjust to you better/faster?

Just my 2 cents.

Fidget and phihag like this.
  5. phihag

phihag Regular Member

There will be no breaks in the first four sets, only in the fifth, to change ends. Since all breaks are now only 60s long and you have to switch ends every time, extended coaching will be a thing of the past.

6. llrr

llrr Regular Member

That doesn't sound too bad at all. Players can figure it out themselves on the court. Although that means it's just 4 total breaks in a match (plus a short one to change ends in the fifth).

7. phihag

phihag Regular Member

As written above, the German Bundesliga (where most of the decision power is by the heads and coaches of the clubs) has decided to go for 90s intervals, which feels much more relaxed to me.

Huh? All the breaks are the same length ;)

8. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Oh right, I just thought the fifth was shorter because it was just for a change of ends.

9. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

Tennis ran much longer though.
    If they changed to 11 per set, i'm not sure it's even watchable anymore, especially in men's doubles.

Sent from my vivo V3Max using Tapatalk

10. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Tennis also has alot of longer breaks in between though. There's alot more revenue there in ads I think?

11. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

You should make the sport great and then comes the revenue. No attractive sport no revenue anyway.

Making any change for TV is such a wrong path from the getgo!

Look at all the different sports which are superpopular. They are SO DIFFERENT for TV.

But oh well i guess my point went around the circle already 25.000 million times

edit: if less coaching was wished, it could just be forbidden. very simple. has nothing to do with scoring system

12. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Coaching between points has indeed been suggested to be forbidden. It's not through the AGM yet.

Coaching in pauses (intervals + between games) depends on the number and lengths of intervals and games. The number of games is an integral part of the scoring system, is it not? I'd also include the lengths and the number of intervals under the umbrella of scoring system.

13. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

i did not know that it depends on lengths of intervals and games (stands in the rules if i unterstand correctly?)
    if you can coach between points, where is the sense of other rules?! between points includes every pause

In any way, i dont think it is under the umbrella of scoring system. You could change whatever rule considering coaching is connected to scoring system...e voila

14. phihag

phihag Regular Member

It's not written as such in the rules, but of course the impact and form of coaching depends on how much time is allotted for pauses!