New Scoring System from September 2016

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Toastie, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Toastie

Toastie Regular Member

Hi,
    I'm a bit confused, because I can't find anything on this forum. As the "Westfälische Nachrichten" (small German newspaper) reports, there will be a new experimental scoring system. It will be 3 games to 11 points (instead of two to 21) and there will be some form of setting.Belgian International Yuhan Tan is complaining that the players ware not asked beforehand (http://www.wn.de/Sport/Lokalsport/L...d-beschliesst-Drei-Gewinnsaetze-bis-11-Punkte (in German)

Read the official letter by the BWF on the facebook-page of badzine.de https://www.facebook.com/badzine.de/?fref=ts

I'm a bit confused, that this has not been mentioned anywhere...

2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

I'm a little bit puzzled too by the lack of official information. It seems like the issue has been raised by the Athletes' Comission (chaired by Yuhan Tan). This could explain why so far the coverage is limited to Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. It probably is just an internal BWF discussion, and hasn't been released to the public yet. The information may just reflect the current state of discussion, and not necessarily what comes out publicly in a few weeks or months.

For a while, I was considering a hoax/misinformation (probably accidental rather than deliberate), but this letter posted by Mark Phelan (badzine) looks real. In that Facebook post, Lyndon Williams (a member of the BWF Para-Badminton commission) commented "Not sure you have your facts right Mark (...) Decision was made at last year's council meeting in Paris where the Athletes rep was part of that discussion.". My interpretation would be that BWF intends the change, but has not publicly announced it yet. I cannot find any public minutes of the Paris meeting.

This article written 2 days before the Mark Phelan post gives much more detail, but refers to another BWF meeting, again not citing specific sources. Unfortunately, while there is even a public page about that meeting, it does not include a summary of the discussion there.

Once BWF actually decides a change, I am sure we will know. Not only would be quite extraordinary to decide such a change without any public notice long beforehand, but it also requires an update of the regulations/recommendations to technical officials. Currently, neither one of those has been updated.

3. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Ugh now I will not be able to sleep for some time again. I dont want BWF to ruin the sport by changing scoring system to something stupid to make the matches shorter:mad:

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I have a suspicion that if one go trace though the article history we might find one dated April 1st. ;)

5. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Someone just sent me a copy of the internal BWF memorandum. I don't think I'm allowed to post it, but it confirms everything, and is dated April 13th.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

All we need now is a "Power Shuttle", and the BWF has gone right off the deep end...

7. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    It has been tried in some smaller off season tournaments... (purple league, etc..).. 11 in 3 games.. funny.

8. phihag

phihag Regular Member

There's now a public document backing this and potentially further tests: On page 22 of the BWF Strategic Plan 2016-2020,
    Continued testing of different scoring systems from Q4 2016 is listed. By the way, the next line hints at potential changes to the service laws and the introduction of service judging technology.

9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

10. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
  11. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    well if there is a technology where the shuttle won't be affected by the wind, I think outdoor badminton is not just a dream

12. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

There is some pretty decent technology, it is called a roof and walls.:p

It might be cool, but seems a bit of a waste of resources for bwf to thinking about developing and eventually promoting some sudo outdoor badminton game when there is so much to be doing with the real game.

Techno and Winex West Can like this.
  13. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Has anyone tried the NEW SCORING system that was recently announced ? It is not April Fool's joke like some of us thought.

We tried it and it is a bit "fast" when combined with rally point system. You can lose the first game before you get into the groove !!! :eek:

14. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Option 1 (the sane one, setting until 15. I've heard rumors that an option 3 has been announced to TOs internally) is used in the German Bundesliga this season. After 2 match days, the new system seems amazing for the audience - virtually no points that seem irrelevant any more. Players seem to play more cautiously. Lots of games go into setting, we're seeing 15-14 regularly. Curiously, match length seems to be virtually identical - that may be because coaching intervals are always used fully (because you have switch ends every time), but also because the pauses between matches (including warm-up time) have stayed the same, and maybe the players compensating. As expected, one-sided matches are quickly over.

As a player, I haven't tried it yet, but I remain skeptical. For high-level matches with an audience, I think it is very likely that some form of 5x11 will be played in the future.

#14 phihag, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  15. Hagen

Hagen Regular Member

Banker
    Well, the german Bundesliga, meaning first and second division, now plays "best of 5 until 11". Sucks for me, but people wanted changes for the sake of changing.

16. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    They tested it last year (?) during the Dutch Open and it looked terrible. You miss the chance of having a 'shift in momentum' which you can have while playing a set to 21 points. The games looked quite 'staccato' to me, but perhaps I'm biased as I'm a player myself. Maybe for more media coverage (= hopefully more viewers = more $$$) this can be a good thing.

17. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

As a spectator, this sounds interesting. No more boredom waiting for 11-1 to conclude at 21-2.

As a recreational player, it sounds promising. If you are having a bad run of points, you might lose one game, but that is not the end of the road.
    And if you are a dismal recreational player ( like me) you might get to enjoy the thrill of stealing a game from a superior player by their run of bad luck.

But overall , this system would seem to benefit the consistent, superiorly-skilled player. Which is what we want, yes?

18. druss

druss Regular Member

Personally think 11 points is too low... why not go back to 15 points but keep rally point system?

19. visor

visor Regular Member

I think it's a conspiracy by BWF to keep the old guys like LCW and LD in the game for a few more years ...

pcll99 likes this.
  20. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I think it does the opposite. I think it rewards luck too much. When you get that one lucky shot that trickles over the tape, or that one impossible return. Raising the reward from 5% to 10% for those shots isn't rewarding consistency. This new system is way too short in my opinion.