New scoring format

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by harimau, Sep 17, 2005.

1. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

So the IBF delegates voting on this matter will all have played lots of matches under the new system, won't they? They wouldn't want to be accused of being full of hot air.

2. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Well I am more serious and focussed when playing team matches than individual matches.
    And I am rarely serious and focussed when playing training matches.
    What does this prove? (except that there are many factors which have strictly nothing to do with the scoring)
    Being serious and focussed is essentially a question of motivation I find.

Obviously the sorter the match is, the less room for mistakes there is.
    But this has nothing to do with serve scoring or rally scoring as 5x7 serve scoring matches were also shorter and left less room for mistakes.

3. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Good remark ! :p

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    No, but they will represent their countries' federations, who would have gathered enough feedback from their respective players and officials by May 2006. That is how it is supposed to work. You may want to find out who your country's delegate is. He is your man. Who knows, sports can sometimes be dirty. Scandals like those of Olympic Committee members being bribed abound.

5. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    you mean this one seven?
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20334&page=12&pp=18

enjoy everybody - that was quite a long winded and well balanced thread.. with quite a hefty dose of maths and science used to prove points :)

Coops

6. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
  7. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hehe - i only rememebr it because i spent soooo long trying to argue against you :)

plus i've still got the code i wrote to simulate the maths :D

how could i forget :)

8. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think many here knows lots that Larsent doens't (even those of us with lesser skills on the badminton court :) ).. I don't think just being a former world class palyer makes you much of an "authority" on the game/players today and the scoring.. Also he doens't really propose 3x21 does he, but 5x21.. Which we all know (who tried it) would be far to outdragged, long and boring for uneven matches..

Isn't this just the "old" players wish to be competetive with the younger stronger, more fit players :confused: :D

#308 twobeer, Jan 6, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  9. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    If Hoyer-Larsen defending a rally-scoring system (it's not so clear he's defending it BTW :p) means that rally-scoring system is better, why don't you take into account all the top players or coaches (Li Yongbo, danish team etc...) who have spoken against the rally scoring system.
    This argument proves strictly nothing, sorry to say so... :rolleyes:

#309 seven, Jan 6, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    ROFL!! good one!

11. Cruiser008

Cruiser008 Regular Member

Wow if it becomes permanent this would be one of the worst changes to ever happen to the sport. :mad:

12. Cruiser008

Cruiser008 Regular Member

I also agree that this is one of the biggest drawbacks.

13. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

they should throw badminton out of the olympics if it goes 21x3 ..that will show the IBF whats what

The sport already lacks the nessesary competition between nations to support an olympic tournament this will only make the top 3 or 4 nations even more dominant.

Your also kinda crapping all over badminton history by making the game much shorter....what about the classic matches that went over 2 hours long? ... usually the best matches are also the longest ........

Right now badminton is a complete sport ... fitness, endurance isn't always the biggest part but it is an important factor, take that away and you open the door for players who neglect thier physical training .. I've seen many matches where the less fit player lost and deserved to loose ...but under the new system surely would have won.... thats just wrong.

#313 wedgewenis, Jan 9, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  14. Dandirom

Dandirom Regular Member

Computer Related
    Right on

yeah, i've never heard anyone complain about the length of a match - EVER. i didn't know badminton's rules depended on some TV networks time slots. i personally play 4-5 games every night and none of 'em are too long!

15. Dandirom

Dandirom Regular Member

Computer Related
    I totally agree. If a player loses a match because of his/her lack of endurance, too bad. That's what makes badminton so much fun, it's not just quickness or strategy -endurance and fitness are also really important. this new scoring thing is gonna destroy badminton.

16. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

A lot against the new scoring system have been said. A lot of us agreed that it is bad. But Majority more often than not do not have a say. The one in power has it (in this case the IBF). What can the Majority do if IBF steamroll over them?

Here are some suggestions:
    Only do what we enjoy. If we don't like it, don't do it.
    Do not go to watch games with 21 points rally system.
    Do not participate in any games with 21 points rally system.
    Do not support any clubs using or promoting 21 points rally system.
    Do not support any players promoting 21 ponts rally system.

Eventually the Majority will win. Because this is where the money is coming from. All baddy fans ask yourselves this question:

In the past 6 months how much money you have spent on the game? If you add it all up, the figure will amaze you. The amount is not Peanuts.

17. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

This is taken from an article on the IBF website:

"At the International Badminton Federation Council Meeting held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in December 2005, the council approved the decision to experiment with the 3x21 rally point scoring system. This will apply to all IBF sanctioned events, carrying world ranking points, with effect from 1 February 2006. In addition to IBF sanctioned events, the upcoming multi-sport event, the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games has also decided to adopt the new scoring system.

IBF welcomes the Commonwealth Games transition to the new era of badminton. Melbourne 2006's far sighted decision to go with the new scoring system is positive for the sport. IBF is confident that the new scoring system will create a more exciting game for spectators and be more appealing to the media especially television.

In accepting the new direction of the sport, Melbourne 2006 and the Commonwealth Games have shown that they are a multi-sport event for the modern era. IBF congratulates Melbourne 2006 on their decision. Punch Gunalan, Deputy President said, "The M2006 decision follows on the success of the Chinese Masters event that was held in the new format in December 2005. The IBF Council is confident this would be the scoring system to be used for the next Olympics."

This does not sound like the competent, open-minded IBF that Taneepak would have us believe the IBF is, does it?:rolleyes: The grammatical errors are the IBF's, by the way.

I wonder what analysis has been carried out (and, of course, what the success criteria were) on the Chinese Masters to enable Punch Drunk, er Gunalan to claim it was a success. I think I know the answer to that question, actually.:)

No, of course the decision for permanent change is going to be an open and honest one and has not been pre-judged at all. Not.:mad:

It is all a :crying: shame.

#317 CWB001, Jan 17, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  18. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Yes, as I said several times this will not be a democratic decision based on whether the rally scoring system is better or not.

IBF has already taken its decision and the only question for them now is to calculate how to manipulate and corrupt the votes (if needed) so that it is not refused.

I hope many of us will stand against it, and that some of the dominating federations will stand against it. (or rather enough of them)

If not, I think our favourite sport is in a very bad situation.

19. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

For a little insight into internal IBF politics, you may want to read this article by Neil Cameron who was the IBF Chief Executive from 1998 to 2003.

http://www.badders.com/news/item/740/A-change-of-scoring-system?

Especially refer to the last 3 sections titled: Testing and implementation; Political factors; and, Summary.

20. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Very interesting article.
    Obviously agree about the political part as it is a known issue.

I don't agree that serve scoring is "complicated" however, and it is in fact what makes badminton so much more exciting than table tennis or other rally scoring sports where come-backs or almost impossible.

I think if a change is considered needed, the 5x9 scoring system was the best suited one, but was abandonned for political reasons... :rolleyes: (as usual!)

We shouldn't forget that badminton has to start by touching badminton enthusiasts before touching anyone else.
    If IBF even fails pleasing badminton fans, they are in a very bad position... :(