New scoring format

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by harimau, Sep 17, 2005.

1. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Probably.. But I think TV audience numbers and ticket-buyers is likely to be linked.. So It is likely to assume Less TV-audience as well if ticket-sales are poor...

/Twobeer

2. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    But if We use say 3x31.. I think an uneven matches will be prolonged uneccesary.. Even with 3x21 a totally dominant player would ned 42 rallies to win agains a "bad" player..And with 3X31 it would be 62!! Prolonging an uneven game does certainly not make it more interesting.. On the other end of the spectrum it is the even games.. That gets shortend by rally scoring... I don't see any logic behinf making uneven games longer and even games shorter.. Therefore I think Rally Scoring is "pure evil" :D

/Twobeer

3. kanive

kanive Regular Member

No kidding. Reports coming out now say that the Sawx thought he had a 5 year deal with somebody else, and were completely surprised it was a 4 year deal with the Yankees. If he had even said one word that the Yankees were offering $52M for 4 years, I bet they would have matched the offer in a jiffy.

Amen to that!

But getting back on topic, I found this link to an old USA Today list that estimates the revenues for all major league baseball teams.. don't know how to make a link here, but here is the URL:
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/stories/2001-12-05-focus-expenses.htm

The point being, TV deals look good in newspaper reports, but the lifeline of the sport is in putting butts into seats.

I am curious .. how much did the IBF earn from the World Championships at Anaheim? How much from ticket sales, and how much from TV deals?

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It may not strike you as strange to learn that the old badminton scoring system is actually 4 different scoring systems? The new scoring system uses the same scoring system for MS, MD, MX, WS, and WD. One standard is better than 4 standards, especially for newcomers to badminton.
    Now doesn't this make more sense? :D

5. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

Four different systems? If you are going to nit-pick that the number of points played constitutes a significant change to the system then I can see 3 systems here. But then I'd nit-pick that singles is always different from doubles because two players are sharing the serving and the court is different, so its 2 (trial) vs 3 (existing) systems really.

And playing to 11 is not actually a significant difference in terms of complexity and ease of understanding, is it?

That is also true in tennis, of course. Except that tennis has different numbers of sets according to the tournament, and different tie-break systems - so maybe changing the scoring system is not the golden bullet after all.

How do the scoring methods for MD, MX and WD differ from one another?

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

You are right in that the old system has 3 distinct scoring systems vs the one unified new scoring system.
    The old scoring system for MS has no second serve after the loss of the first serve, best of 3x15, and the server always serving on the side of the court of his or her score (odd no. on the left and even no. on the right).
    In MD/MX/WD, you have a second serve, you always serve from the right side on a change of service side, irrespective of your score, which is at odds with the singles game which allows serving from either the left or the right in acordance with your score.
    In WS, the same comments on MS apply here but with another change from 3x15 to 3x11.
    The new system has the same 3x21, the same no second serve, the same serving side. It is one grand unifying scoring system that is simple to understand, especially for people new to the game.
    I was brought up with the imperial system of weights and measures but I found switching to the metric system makes life so much simpler. It is the same story with numbers. The Indian 0 decimal system replaced all the old Roman and other numbering systems a long time ago, but only after a great fight. :D

7. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

As usual you have taught me all about something I know, but you didn't answer my question. What is the 4th system? How do MD, WD & Mx differ from one another? Why do you exagerate your case by making out that the trial singles is identical to the trial doubles? It is 3 vs 2. And irrelevant.

8. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Anyway the question is about switching from serve scoring to rally scoring.
    This has NOTHING to do with having differences in MS, WS and doubles.

You can keep serve scoring and decide there is only one service per doubles pair, this has nothing to do with rally scoring.

Personnally, I am not against any change to scoring system, I am simply against rally scoring and shortening overall match durations.

9. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Are you seriously comparing a Singles game with a Doubles game? Are you drunk??

AFAIK, women are less endurant than men. Analogy: Tennis.

Not simpler to understand. More confusing.

10. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

I completely agree on both points.

11. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    i'm just against shortened match durations and the lessened chance of a comeback...

Coops

12. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    We agree :)
    Lessened chance of a comeback is the direct consequence of rally scoring.

13. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    after watching some newbies play yesterday, I couldn't help but think how much quicker they would have been off the court if it was rally points. i watched this group playing doubles, and them going around each player at least 3 times each of them losing their services, i would say it must have been a few minutes at least that the score stayed static.

using the rally point counting (regardless if 3x15 or 3x21), there would have been 12 or 16 points chewed up right there! they would have been off the court so much quicker!

14. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

And then so would you!

15. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    well... yes... and your point would be?

16. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

:confused: That you would spend less time on court per game.:rolleyes: :)

17. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    no... that idiots and newbies would spend less time on court... messing up serves and watching the service go from player to player without a single point being made. it's often excrutiating watching and waiting for some groups to get off the court.
    and yes, the downside would be shorter time for us as well.

#257 badrad, Jan 3, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes.
    the rallypoint system would expedite game duration especially for newbies.
    Under 15x3 system, the score can remain static for a very long time as it's hard to get a point when serving. They just keep switching serves between sides.

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I did say you were correct that there are 3 systems in the old scoring system. They are :
    1. 3x15 + only server can win point + 1st & 2nd serves in doubles + always serving from the right side on a service-over. This applies for MD, MD, WD.
    2. 3x15 + only server can win point + server to serve from the left or right dependent on his/her score even for service change-over +no 2nd serve. Applies to MS.
    3. 3x11 + as in 2 above.
    The new system has the following common to MD,WD, MX, MS, WS :
    1. 3x21 + no second serve + point won or lost regardless of who serves + to serve from the left or right side dependent on the score.

Therefore, it is 3 systems vs 1 unifying system. :D

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, the old system can be and is sometimes being abused. In the old system you can make your lousy playing boss look good to earn a promotion. The new system quickly stops this form of currying favour or abuse of the system. :D