Li-Ning Singapore Open 2011

Discussion in 'Thailand / Singapore / Indonesia Open 2011' started by Loh, Apr 27, 2011.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

More errors from the AFP news article:
    This is the first time the Chinese ace missed on a Final.

Definitely not Lin Dan's first Final no-show. In fact, I lost count of the number....

2. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    well I am guessing the reason is he was told to give it up, to give Chen Jin some ranking points, or restm or some reason that CBA wanted...BWF should ban Chinese players for a year, they are always giving the sport a bad reputation with making their players throw matches etc. never happens in tennis due to each player is independent professional!

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yes,thats why i posted that link
    because
    before this,the chinese media is saying lin dan will takeover lcw in ss ranking if he qualify to quater final(bwf didnt update india open rp by then)
    but bwf updated the data but most main stream media didnt notice about it yet
    read this
    http://www.bam.org.my/index.php?opt...into-a-frenzy&catid=46:latest-news&Itemid=181

4. sen

sen Regular Member

Yes, after checking their points, you are right. I was under the wrong impression because of the news article that stated Lin Dan would be no 1. He will still be no 2 ranking.

But Chen Jin moving up the rank would mean much more than Lin Dan rank or points. If Chen Jin in top 8, he will get easier draw rather than if his rank is outside top 10. So more chances to reach top 4 rank.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    BWF must do something about the latest walkover in the finals

I'm sorry I was also confused by the different messages, especially the latest one from AFP.

We have actually more or less confirmed some time ago that ranking points for London start with the M'sian Open GP, as pointed out by badMania and limsy double confirmed with the BWF link.

The latest "manipulation" by the Chinese is the worse since ranking points count for London Olympics 2012 and Chen Jin stands to benefit from LD's generous offer of a walkover. "Match-fixing" and corruption in sports are now hotly pursued by the world's sports bodies, including recently FIFA.

Indeed, while China is supreme in badminton, they have given a bad name to the sport with "dirty" tactics just so that many more of their badminton players can qualify for London. BWF must now really do something about it before badminton's popularity dips further.

On the latest episode, it unfortunately plays tricks on people's minds with such questions as:

1. Is LD's complaint of illness really true or did he make it up to help his countryman?
    2. Has the doctor checked him thoroughly and is there a second opinion?
    3. He must have consumed similar "cold" drinks after his tiring match with Simon Santoso in the QF, why was he fit to play against PG in the SF and did not complain of a similar stomach disorder and give PG a walkover? Of course PG is not his teammate and why should LD give him valuable points free of charge.
    4. Did he and CJ collude beforehand with the approval of CHN's authority?
    5. Did he and CJ decide to share the prizes?
    6. If so, this is not only match-fixing but also corruption in another form.

What is BWF going to do about it?

Will such a similar event in another disguised form occur in the forthcoming Indonesia Open? :rolleyes:

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Taiwanese badminton duo loses in Singapore final after strong run

FOCUS TAIWAN
    News Channel

2011/06/19 20:38:13

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Singapore, June 19 (CNA) An unseeded Taiwanese duo that became the lost Sunday in the mixed doubles finals of the US$200,000 Singapore Open Super Series badminton championships Sunday but still managed to make history.

Chen Hung-ling and Cheng Wen-hsing fell to fourth-seeded Indonesians Tantowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir 21-14, 27-25, but still became the first Taiwanese pair to ever reach the finals of a Super Series mixed doubles event.

Though they trailed throughout the first set, Chen and Cheng created an opening by jumping out to a 12-6 lead in the second.

But the Indonesians pulled back with the help of some timely errors by their opponents and eventually took the set and the match.

Cheng, the more experienced player of the pairing and one of the world's top-rated women's doubles players, told CNA that she felt the duo was improving and did a better job than in the past at picking up the Indonesians' shots.

She said, however, that she was also angry with herself for consistently misfiring on her serve.

Chen and Cheng began their improbable run by upsetting third seeds Joachim Fischer Nielsen and Christinna Pedersen of Denmark in straight sets in the first round, and then defeating two Japanese teams and an English team to reach the final.

(By Tang Pei-chun and Alex Jiang) enditem/ls

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Lin Dan booed after badminton final walkover

Jun 20, 2011

Lin Dan jeered by fans after he gives walkover because of abdominal pain

[​IMG]

Lin Dan withdrew from the men's singles final match of the Singapore Badminton Open Tournament due to illness. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

LIN Dan's Li-Ning Singapore Open campaign ended yesterday just like it started - with stomach problems and an anti-climax.

Close to 7,400 fans turned up at the Singapore Indoor Stadium yesterday to see if the tournament's star attraction could win his first title in the Republic.

But the men's singles final between the reigning Olympic champion and teammate Chen Jin did not take place after the former conceded a walkover owing to stomach flu.

When the crowd heard the news from an announcer, a chorus of boos rang from all four sides of the stadium.

The world No. 2, who had never withdrawn from any final before, then made another unprecedented move: He took to the court with Chen and apologised to fans. In his address in Mandarin - which was interrupted by jeers - Lin said he was sorry that he was unable to contest the final and hoped to be back next year.

He then threw three autographed souvenirs into the stands, but it did little to appease the fans who had paid between $25 and $50 for adult tickets for yesterday's final. Cries of 'Lin Dan, shameful' and 'Don't bother coming back' could be heard as he collected his runner-up prize at the podium.

Read the full story in Monday's edition of The Straits Times.

8. streetrod

streetrod Regular Member

waste my money to go see finals. WTF!

9. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    Agreed with you.. And BWF must invetigate soon. If BWF do not that, no wonder that "team order" will happen again and again. Do not know will end "team order" that.

#289 luvina, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Li Ning SOSS has ended and the most talked about issue is not the badminton play in the courts but the withdrawal of LD in the final. A great way to "promote" the sport. Haha. BWF must be happy.

11. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

I think Lin Dan should produce his Medical certificate and make it public.

The public/fee paying customers has the right to demand/know the truth!

12. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Courtesy of The Star :

Tourney’s historic achievement makes up for loss of lustre

PETALING JAYA: The withdrawal of Lin Dan from China may have taken some of the shine from the Singapore Open which ended yesterday but the hosts can still be proud of one historic achievement.
    The Singapore Open was the first tournament under the Badminton World Federation (BWF)’s calendar to be streamed live through the world body’s new online channel at this link – http://badmintonworld.tv, which was hosted on Youtube.
    And the good news was that the fans watched all the action online for free. The BWF’s president Dr Kang Young-joong was proud over the soft-launch of their official badminton live streaming and Video-on-Demand (VOD) channel, which was a product from a collaboration between the world body and Google.
    “This is another initiative from the BWF to reach out to more fans across all continents. This is also in line with the BWF’s aim to use different media platforms to raise the profile of the sport and the players,” said Young-joong in a statement on the governing body’s website.
    “The BWF are excited with what the future holds for the sport and will continue to look into ways and means to enhance the visibility of the sport.”
    All the other Super Series events will also be streamed live in future through this official online channel.
    Online streaming for the five Premier Superseries will begin from the round of 16 matches, while the remaining seven legs of the Super Series will showcase TV-court matches from the quarter-finals to the finals. At least five matches will be streamed each day.
    The world body also assured that the online channel will eventually offer badminton fans a greater variety of content and matches from tournaments across the globe.
    Yesterday, worldwide fans were able to view the final day matches online except for the all-China men’s singles final between Lin Dan and Chen Jin. Lin Dan conceded walkover due to illness but vowed to return next year to win his first ever Singapore Open title.

Probably they were not paid, hence the no show.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Lin Dan riles fans at Li-Ning

China's badminton star stirs talk of 'team orders' as he concedes final to team-mate claiming illness

[​IMG]
    by Low Lin Fhoong
    04:47 AM Jun 20, 2011

SINGAPORE - It was touted as one of the most exciting badminton tournaments here in years. The US$200,000 (S$246,700) Li-Ning Singapore Open 2011 was the first big tournament that offered Olympic ranking points for next year's London Games, and many of the big names were in town.

But it ended yesterday just like it started, with controversy dominating talk, rather than badminton.

Many among the 7,400-strong crowd at the Singapore Indoor Stadium had come to see if Lin Dan, one of the greatest players in the history of the game, could break his duck here when he faced his Chinese compatriot Chen Jin in the men's singles final but they were left angry and frustrated when news filtered through in the afternoon that the reigning Olympic champion had conceded a walkover as he was feeling unwell. Boos and taunts rained down from the stands as soon as the announcement was made at 2.50pm.

When the 27-year-old superstar took the microphone to apologise on court after he collected his runner-up prize, there were shouts of "Lin Dan, you are a disgrace to China," and "Don't come back".

Fans then took out their frustration on the Chinese women's doubles pair of Tian Qing and Zhao Yunlei, and men's duo Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng, who took to the court for their respective final matches later.

Addressing the media, Lin Dan said: "Yesterday's match against Peter Gade was a tough one so maybe I was more tired. Maybe it was because I drank too much iced water too quickly and too soon after the match. At midnight I felt a stomach ache and called for a team doctor and he gave me medicine but I felt unwell when I woke up this morning. I'm leaving tonight to compete in the Indonesia Open so I also had to consider that."

Much of the anger would have stemmed from suspicion that the Chinese had employed "team orders" once again.

Suspicions were raised that coach Li Yongbo had ordered former China shuttler Zhou Mi to throw her semi-final match against team-mate Zhang Ning at the 2004 Athens Olympic Games to give the latter the chance to win gold.

There were also questions after Lin Dan's losses to Chen Jin at the 2008 All England Open final and the Asian Championships semi-final.

Lin Dan bristled at the suggestion, when he said: "I don't agree with what you are saying. I feel team interest and national interest are more important than the individual. (But) I have never heard of this arrangement."

It was the worst possible end to a tournament that started with Lin Dan and a number of other big names failing to appear at pre-tournament media sessions on Monday to promote the event.

The Chinese team that did appear stunned reporters with their surly attitude.

Lin Dan apologised later, claiming he was hit by a flu bug. He turned on scintillating displays against Indonesia's defending champion Simon Santoso and Denmark's Peter Gade in the quarter-finals and semi-finals, respectively, but in the end, it was simply too good to be true.

In a press statement issued by the event organisers yesterday, tournament referee Ernest Robinson said: "The China team manager had informed me that Lin Dan was ill and unable to play in the men's final. Lin Dan has seen the tournament doctor, who has confirmed that Lin Dan is suffering from gastroenteritis (gastric flu)."

Retiree Patricia Lee, a badminton fan who paid S$26 for two tickets, fumed: "We came here specially to see Lin Dan play and it's such a disappointment. It would be good if we could get a refund ... if they had announced it earlier there might not be so many fans here."

Added manager Fred Chan: "Of course we feel the ticket money was wasted. I came here to watch this game and I don't believe Lin Dan's reason."

Tournament organising chairman Ng Yoke Weng insisted they could not have made an announcement earlier than they did.

"We have to receive the official confirmation from the tournament referee so we cannot make any official announcement until the referee has made a decision," he said.

"Therefore we could not release any statement too early."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lin Dan (red) apologising to fans for withdrawing from the Men's Singles Final where he was supposed to compete against team member Chen Jin (yellow). Photo by WEE TECK HIAN

14. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    How could they annouce earlier? Organizer losing money. For future matches involving CHN players in general and LD in particular, please check with the tournament doctor before parting with your hard earned money.

15. madbad

madbad Regular Member

That must be the understatement of the year. Even a 12 year old serves better :cool:

16. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Ha!!! Good choice for me to leave for home after semifinals day, then .......

17. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yes indeed ....... wakakakaka.

Thing is, you just know it that she would serve to the net, by the way of her racquet handling.

18. streetrod

streetrod Regular Member

ya... she is practically a joke... at least her serves are...

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I was glad I decided not to attend as well.
    I saw all the action live on TV, relaxing in comfort with drinks and tidbits within easy reach.
    Hope your trip to watch the IO will not be spoilt.

20. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Another thread asks, "what is Tennis doing right?". I don't EVER recall this happening in a major Tennis competition. Stomach Flu? Sure, I always feel like prancing around and making public addresses to thousands of people when I come down with the bug.