Li-Ning N9II 3U

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Morgan.koens, Feb 25, 2017.

1. ganandoor56

ganandoor56 Regular Member

You are ma man :)
    How it is with drives? With the JS10 4U LDF 4U I didn't have problems with drives. Did you have problems with the N9II?
    Last week I had the chance to play with a N55 Flame. Specs: Stiff... But it was damn flexible compared to my LDF 4U. I had a hard time with playing drives ^^

2. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

Thanks. I play both singles and doubles that's why I'm looking for something versatile. It seems that I've found it ;)

3. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

Drives are pretty solid with the n9ii. I had some timing issue at the beginning; but after I had that more under control, drives were smooth. The n9ii does feel more flexible than my 3u js10 and 4u ldf, like a 3.5/5 stiff compare to 4/5 stiff of my js10. I definitely felt the difference. If you are having a hard time with drives using a flexible racquet, then you could be a fast swing hitter like me, we need something stiff but not too stiff. The n9ii stiffness is just a little bit over the lowest point of acceptance for me, so it works for me.

4. Konquerian

If you're planning to get the n9ii, I would suggest visiting your local badminton store to have a hold and swing first. For me, when choosing a racquet, first impression of how it feels in my hand and how natural it works as an extension of my arm are very important, and play major deciding factors. I wouldn't just take one man's opinion (i.e. me :)), and then drop $150+ on a racquet. Not that I'm not confident enough to back my own comments and opinions on the racquet, I definitely believed in what I wrote here. However, everybody is different, and a racquet that works for one might not work for another.

Like I said, I strongly suggest visiting a store that carries the n9ii, and hold it in your hand and take a swing or two; your arm will give you the answer. And if you're married, your mrs will give you the other answer you need :D.

#44 Konquerian, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Saru, justinloong and JackCheah like this.
  5. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

Li-ning is not popular here so the n9ii is nowhere to be seen. But I'm following news and reviews on the n9ii since it came out and I think I can now pinpoint well where it belongs. I play with bs12 but it's lacking power for me and i've tried js12, bs lyd, d10, dzs. Thanks for your advice and I'm looking forward to your inputs.

6. Konquerian

Oh, bummer! It's too bad you can't feel the racquet first before jumping onboard, that's certainly an inconvenience. I heard really great things about the bs12, but I heard comments about the lack of power as well. I never had the chance to try it out, since I never liked flexible racquets with my play style. I'm planning to drop 8+ hours on my n9ii this week, so I'll do my best to write my experience here. Hopefully, my inputs can help you out a little. I will mostly be comparing the n9ii with my current go-to racquet, my 3u js10, and my back-up racquet, my 4u ldf. Since I think you mentioned that you have tried the ldf, I hope my comparison will give you more idea about the n9ii.

pierreyj and Orangbiasa like this.
  7. Konquerian

I just had a 4 hours session with my 3u n9ii. Played a lot of net shots and smashes, both simply amazing. I've learned more about my n9ii's personality. Like my 3u js10, due to the fast speed and power, it required me to have a lot more control than my other 3u racquets. If you play the n9ii like other 3u racquets, you will encounter some timing issues, and also a lot of time you might use too much wrist power.

Although it is a 3u racquet, but it plays like a 4u in terms of speed, it's nothing like playing with my 3u victor meteor jjs. It's definitely a racquet that has speed of a fast 4u, but retains the power of a heavy 3u. Defense was amazing. I was able to return most of the power smashes from my cousin and his partner. I did have a few moments where I swing much faster than the shuttle can fall.

I guess my 3 hours session from last week not only felt like it was too long ago, but also felt not enough. With this 4 hours session, I definitely felt that my muscle memory is still young with the racquet. I will have another session tomorrow. I'm determined to tame this beast of a racquet, and get the timing and power under control. I will share more thoughts with you guys after my session.

Hopefully, I can help pierreyj to have better understanding of how the racquet plays, since you can't feel one for yourself yet.

8. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

You are selling it well ;)

9. Konquerian

Just had another 4 hours session with my n9ii, its performance is leaving me speechless. Although my muscle memory still left me with a couple of timing incidents here and there, but I had way fewer timing issue than in my last session, I'm starting to truly understand its personality, and slowly sinking it into my muscle's memory.

My smashes are getting more powerful and precise with the racquet. Comparing to my ldf, the n9ii definitely offers more power. I also did plenty of breath taking net shots, which contributed many game changing points. It handles net shots like cutting tofu. Although, my ldf can handle net shots with ease, but I felt that my n9ii and js10 still do the job a tad better, especially the n9ii. The n9ii is definitely a beast of a racquet, and power control is the key to taming it. When doing clear shots, I had to occasionally remind myself before hitting, that I need to use less wrist power than before to not over do my shots.

I also did 2 games of singles, and I felt that the n9ii can definitely take on other 3u racquets or even out match some of them in singles. There will never be a single racquet that can do it all, but the n9ii's versatility comes very close. However, I feel the same way with my 3u js10, as I still feel that they play very similar regardless of their different specs.

But like I said before, that is just how I feel about the racquet, my own 2 cents, and many people may find it different. I can't tell people that this is the one for them or not. But if you followed my posts on the n9ii, and felt like it is your kind of racquet, I won't hesitate to recommend to you to give a shot. I will have another session on Saturday with my n9ii to end this week, and I'm confident that I will tame this beast to be completely under my control this time.

Sunray7, dvanio, ganandoor56 and 4 others like this.
  10. jmok222

jmok222 New Member

Really like the photos. I am thinking about purchasing an n9ii for my doubles racket.
    What color string would look the best? Black? Pink? Purple?

11. Konquerian

I strung mine with violet bg80, and it looks great with the racquet's colors. But I think pink and royal blue would look great too, the racquet does have black and pink decal that will match it well.

#51 Konquerian, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
  12. Konquerian

I had a 2 hours session with my n9ii on Saturday to end my week. With 13 hours on the racquet so far, I must say that I'm very impressed with the n9ii. If I had to pick one from my bag, between my n9ii, js10, and ldf, I will not hesitate to pick the n9ii as my main weapon of choice. I'm an attack oriented player, and the n9ii is the perfect weapon. Not only did the n9ii help me produce greater attacking power, but when forced to defend after a weak attack or forced lift, I was able to quickly recover and regain control to turn my defensive position back to offensive with a fast and accurate angled drive or a sharp and controlled net shot, turning the tide around in a blink of an eye.

I had done numerous jump smashes with the n9ii, and my shots were just so accurate. My favorite smash points are the two corners of court, and I was able to land the shuttle dead on 95% of the time, with the other 5% being my fault of timing issues :(. I was even able to achieve some backcourt jump smash winners. That tells you how powerful the smashes can be with the n9ii.

Let me summarize what I learned about the n9ii's personality:

Smashing:

Fast, powerful, and accurate shot, with more power than ldf, and slightly more power than js10. Its smash even has more power than my 3u meteor jjs. The n9ii just packs a bigger punch. This racquet is really made for power smashers.

Speed:

Fastest racquet I've used so far, it swings like a 4u, faster than my 4u ldf, and similar to my 3u js10. You can't believe it's a 3u.

Drive:

It does really solid straight and angled drives, not much to say here :cool:.

Net shot:

N9ii is not only made for smashing, but it shines at net shot also. With the right power control, it can turn net shots into net kills in an instant. When opponents threaten with net shots, thinking to get an easy point, they will learn to think twice about playing that again, but not before learning their lesson with points lost first :D. IMO, it plays net shots better than my js10 and ldf. My js10 does it really well, but I feel my n9ii does it a tad better :confused:.

Clears:

It does effortless clears to backcourt, with little wrist power needed. I also feel it does clears a tad better than my js10 :rolleyes:. My 4u ldf requires to use a bit more power for backcourt clears, but still effortless IMO. But a lot more power control is needed when using n9ii for clear shots, it can definitely send the shuttle flying to a galaxy far far away, or at least out of the court :D. At first, I was using my n9ii like my other 3u racquets, and that was a no no. I found that I need to play it like a 4u when doing clears, so I won't use too much wrist power.

Accuracy:

It sends the shuttle dead on spot. Due to its superior speed, with the right timing, it lands the shuttle to wherever you were aiming at. It made me more like a sharpshooter :cool:.

Defense:

With its fast speed, I was able to return almost all my opponents' attacks. However, timing issue is something to practice more on to get it more under control. I found that the timing issue is the major cause that left me defenseless at times :oops:.

Stiffness and Head Weight:

My meteor jjs and js10 are more stiff than the n9ii. I feel the stiffness is similar to my 4u ldf. And although it is suppose to be a little head heavy, I don't feel it at all. With most of the weight at the 3 and 9 o'clock area of the head frame, it might be the contributing factor to my feeling of it not being head heavy. But then again, everyone feels different on that.

To sum it up, the 3u n9ii is a beast of a racquet. It's my first li ning racquet. And with the incredible performance of the n9ii, I feel that it won't be my last li ning ;). It swings like a fast 4u, but retains the power of a 3u, and with smashes more powerful than my other 3u. I thought my js10 was going to be my favorite for a long while, but the n9ii proved me wrong, and I now have a new favorite :).

If you are looking for a new racquet or an upgrade to your current one, the n9ii should definitely be on your list to consider looking into. Li ning designed this racquet for attack oriented players and doubles game, and I can definitely feel that in my n9ii. It won't turn a bad player into a good player, but it will surely help a good player to become a better player o_O. It sure helped me get my game up another level ;).

That concludes my thoughts on the n9ii after 13 hours of playtime. They are just my opinions and thoughts, my own 2 cents ;). Everyone is different, and will surely have different thoughts on the racquet :). I will continue to use this racquet, because I just love it so much. Although this beast is still not completely under control, but I have it tamed for the most part, I will definitely have it done in no time :D.

#52 Konquerian, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    insanity, Saru, Herrscher and 7 others like this.
  13. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

Thanks a lot for these complete reviews. It helps me a lot and I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

Saru, jriblaze and Konquerian like this.
  14. JackCheah

JackCheah New Member

Now you have really convinced me to sell off my 4u ldf and concentrate on my n9ii bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jriblaze likes this.
  15. Konquerian

I would suggest to you to keep your ldf around while you start concentrating on your n9ii. I had a forum member telling me that he didn't like his n9ii, and he went back to his ldf. I'm glad my post convinced you to have a second look at the impressive n9ii, but that beast might not be liked by everyone o_O. I would definitely like to hear your thoughts on it after your concentration sessions :D. I'll also share more thoughts as I drop more hours on it.

16. Sunray7

Sunray7 Regular Member

Thanks for sharing your feel on the N9ii
    I m so into it oredi

How about the N7ii
    Has anyone compare the N9ii vs the N7ii for playability
    I prefer an easier racket, not too stiff
    Lol

17. Konquerian

From the specs on li ning's site, the only difference I can find between the two is that the n7ii is 3mm lower in balance point, which makes it less head heavy than the n9ii. But I don't know how the weight is distributed in the frame, it could feel very different from the n9ii. From experience, with the lighter head weight, it might not be as punchy as the n9ii, but that's just my 2 cents.

One really has to play with it to find out :D. However, when I was deciding on which li ning racquet to get, since I have never used one before, I was down to the n9ii and n7ii. With the so similar specs of the two, it took me a while to decide which one to get, but I finally settled on the n9ii, mainly because of that little more head weight, and I liked the color better ;). I'm so glad I picked the n9ii.

In terms of stiffness, both racquets are listed as medium stiff. From playing with my n9ii, I can say that its stiffness is similar to my ldf. Assuming the n7ii has the same stiffness as the n9ii, if you have played with a ldf before and you're fine with that stiffness, you should be fine with the n9ii and n7ii with their stiffness.

If you're looking for an easier racquet to use, with my hours on my n9ii, I would say that it is definitely not an easy racquet to use. It's a beast that requires you to put in a lot of time to tame ;), as with many other racquets.

#57 Konquerian, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Sunray7 likes this.
  18. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

From the reviews I read, it is even balanced and stiffer than n9ii. A perfect weapon for front court, very fast but not easy to generate power so it's a no for back court or singles players.

Saru, eric213 and Sunray7 like this.
  19. Sunray7

Sunray7 Regular Member

Thanks @Konquerian and @pierreyj
    Appreciate your sharing✌
    Currently I m using the N90iii S-type and its head-heavy feel works well with it's flexi shaft
    I find it easier to play compared to my JS12

I m now looking at the N9ii for better handling and speed, to replace my JS12
    Lol

20. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

It's going to be stiffer too but not as much as the JS12 i guess.