LCW and an Olympic gold in Rio

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by latecomer, Jun 23, 2016.

1. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    You know what, I would love to see atleast one of the Big3 thrashed before SF! It'll be really great to see how the youngsters cope with the pressure of THE OG medal matches :) but if that doesn't happen, the fourth player in the SF would be in great advantage, being the "underdog" can prove to be the crook for the final birth. I really hope to see new n refreshing faces on the podium

Raajneesht likes this.
  2. bdmtfreak

bdmtfreak Regular Member

3. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

he did not get the datukship only for just the 2 silver of an international event.
    he won many other championships as well, which brought some measure of recognisance to his country

from that long post i gather that the average indonesian along the streets of jakarta or wherever for example, does not care about the indonesian ssp or who wins it. thats sad, cos i wish they do.

a silver medal is given to just to show that you are a loser.
    that saddens me also
    what a waste of a second and third podiums and all those flags

it was an honorary degree i think. you dont have to get past standard 1 to get an ordinary degree for anything.

ok ok fine maybe he won the gold medal for being the most overrated player ever. but he is probably the greatest malaysian player ever to us malaysians and that makes us happy. you cant destroy that since you already destroyed everything else

those friends that you have in those malaysian cities that you mentioned? those are probably your only malaysian friends left now. hold on to them, they are nice people like you.

#63 pajrul, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

By right, in the normal course of things, the old make way for the new. After all, the two illustrious veterans, Lin Dan and LCW, have been around for so long, been there and done that so many times and, what's more, age-wise, they are not only past their prime but should be on the decline for such a physically demanding sport. Surprisingly, that didn't seem to be happening to a considerable extent, their occasional hiccups notwithstanding. To me, that's testament to the Golden Age of Lin Dan's era where not only these two maestros are despite in their 'advanced age' still among the very top few in the world today,remarkably even a few other veterans from their era, are continuing to make themselves count, viz.,Lee Huun Il (most notably), Hu Yun, Sho Sasaki, Boonsak Ponsana, Wei Nan, Sony Dwi Kuncoro, just to name a few.

Apparently, what the younger generation has in their favour are youth and, obviously, time on their side, particularly for those in their early twenties, such as Viktor Axelsen, Kento Momota,Xue Song, Ng Kah Long, Kidambi Srikanth, Jeon Hyuk Jin, Huang Yuxiang, Qiao Bin,just to name some. We'd expect most of those famous veterans aforementioned to retire after the Rio Olympics and new blood to take their place.

By then,I'd expect a few of them from mid- to late-twenties to take up the mantle as well, namely, Chen Long ,clearly the most outstanding one at the moment, and perhaps, J O Jorgensen, Tian Houwei, Chou Tien Chen,Son Wan Ho, Tommy Sugiarto, Iskandar Zainuddin, Tanongsak S, etc. Goes to show how many really good, potentially great players we have nowadays.

Come to think of it, it may not be a bad thing, or should I say a good thing, to have someone other than the two usual suspects, Lin Dan and LCW, to mount the winner's podium for gold in Rio. I know everyone has their favourite picks, mine is still Chen Long,the two-time World Champion and holder of a host of Superseries titles.

nilesh123 likes this.
  5. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

dead wrong ... haha (i borrowed your laughter) check further back genius,
    am not rescuing anybody..... just responding to your post ....seems to me you are obsessed with somebody else in this forum.

6. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

the changing of the guards is always painful and inevitable. its the swan song for LCW. and soon LD. As you said, the younger set of players are just as exciting will probably go on to beat the records set by the seniors. it would be nice that LCW win his elusive gold and we could finally put him up there with the other older greats in a more equal level so to speak. it makes this edition of olympic badminton just that much different and exciting

7. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I don't think they are going to break LD's and LCW's record anytime soon. High standards set here.

Justin L likes this.
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yup, taking over from the old guards is one thing, breaking their records is another matter altogether. Lin Dan's era is the greatest, hard to beat for a long time, I think.

9. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

Tomorrow chenlong gets to rest...LCW will b meeting a singaporean (whole country is on a high...wonder if that will spur him too) Lin Dan seems to hv to work the hardest...meeting the hard working nguyen tm. I hope he wears him out...a lot

10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Have you seen their (LD and TMN) encounter at the WC13? Not much of wearing LD out. LD patiently playing the rally and scoring winners whenever he pleases. :D

11. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

I hv forgotten about that. Vietnam too is on high with their 1st gold. So mybe he will work xtra hard too

12. vinaries

vinaries Regular Member

LCW game will be more like a warm up for the quarter final

13. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    If you look at the scores, both LD and Tien played the same two opponents already. And it seems Tien struggled a bit more to beat these 2 than LD. It seems LD may be in better shape.