LCW and an Olympic gold in Rio

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by latecomer, Jun 23, 2016.

1. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Facts: Malaysia has 6 medals in summer Olympics, all from badminton except 1and no gold. As we all know LCW won 2 consecutive silvers. He has the whole country's expectation on his shoulders. To Malaysians, it is not only a badminton gold, it is the country first every gold. Anyone with a logical mind can understand the significance of LCW winning gold In Rio.
    Controversy: Some people would suggest that it won't has negative impact on LCW's greatness if he would never win an Olympic gold. His time being #1 and the number of titles he had won would forever cement his place in badminton. For some, he is better than Lin Dan. Forgive me if I mentioned LD here. LCW and LD will be forever linked.
    What would happen if LCW win the gold? Malaysia's flag will be raised and the National anthem will be broadcasted for the whole world to see and hear. The whole country will bath in the sea of joy. Not to mention how LCW would benefit from winning this gold.
    I can't think of winning any other tournament has the same impact or anywhere close to it.
    Another way of looking at it. Would LCW and LD agree trading Titles?

2. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Achievement wise, how many people here see it:

If LCW win one gold, many fans would consider him surpass Chen Long but still not Taufik Hidayat, and still too far from Lin Dan.

If he then win WC 2017, then many fans will consider him better than our Taufik Hidayat but still too far from Lin Dan.

If he wins nothing, the nickname "The Silver Collector" will stick with him forever and no happy ending to his career.

3. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I doubt many badminton fans will view LCW the way you and your buddies like to. How LCW is viewed reflects the fan s capacity to appreciate his talent and contributions to badminton. The simple mind will perceive LCW as a silver collector. If that gives you great satisfaction, I m happy for you that you discover a way to do so.

4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

You got to be kidding me...

I for one think that LCW is already much better than Taufik, regardless if he wins the Olympics/WC or not and I don't think I'm the only one with this opinion.

5. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    How would fans not see him living under shadow of Lin Dan or dominated almost his entire career in the big titles?

How wouldn't the fans still haven't address him as a World Champion or Juara Dunia as many even GC has already addressed the Dragon Chen Long?

How would us as neighboring rivaling country deny the fact we've already there first in OG and WC with Taufik?

We aren't trying to be mean to Lee Chong Wei, but that's just how things work in reality. We also want him to work on his mental and mind in big titles.
    We weren't the one who came up with the nickname "Silver Collector".

But for the neutral fans out there, why they have to settle for second best? Even our great legend Tan Joe Hok admired Lin Dan's mental in big titles saying when LD played big titles it's not just his body but his soul was playing with him.

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

See, once again you bring Lin Dan and Chen Long into the picture while I'm just comparing LCW and Taufik. You seem to be biased, I have to say. Just tell me why you think Taufik is much better than LCW.

7. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    I for one think Taufik is better than LCW in terms of achievement. Taufik in his prime is considered one of the greatest player that's why many place him number 2 in all time greats under LD.

8. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    That one I was answering to pjswift :cool:

Taufik in his prime has denied LD a WC and AG title. He's got one OG gold, one WC gold, 3 Asian Games gold. Do I need to mention " The Silver Collector"'s silver too?

If only Taufik were more discipline with training, he could be on top of the competition for a longer run with his MASSIVE gifted talent.

#8 badlove, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  9. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I don't wanna go into much detail once again. But it has been discussed time and time again.

The short version:
    - Taufik has never beaten a prime/peak Lin Dan
    - check how Taufik was playing the last few years before retiring, Marc Zwiebler has beaten him at the Canada Open. Is he better than Taufik now? I don't think so.
    - LCW's consistency is way beyond Taufiks

Also, I personally think it's much harder to win 5-6 titles a year than just winning one, which happens to be a major. But that's just my train of thought.

One question for you: How many titles has Taufik won overall? Couldn't find it by doing a quick search on Google.

10. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    So Silver is now better than Gold?

Achievement wise, I've said is Taufik. Consistency in top competition LCW's better. Talent and skill wise is Taufik.

Peak Taufik vs Peak LCW, my money is definitely on Taufik.

Taufik denied LD a WC and AG, LD dominated everything from LCW. :)

11. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    I wasn't even the one who made that list of top greatest badminton players of all time but they placed Taufik Hidayat over Lee Chong Wei you know?:rolleyes:

12. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

No, but 5 gold medals are better than just one. :D

And please address the other points I made. :)

13. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

That list is complete bs, for example Zhao Yunlei isn't even on the list? Tells you how accurate it actually is.

14. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Point 1
    Taufik is going downhill when Lin Dan is coming uphill, but Taufik denied him one WC and AG unlike LCW who were dominated forever one could remember.

Point 2
    On his way out to retirement? Check how LCW play in a few more years when he's on his way out too to make a comparison.

Point 3
    I absolutely agree.

15. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    I didn't make the list :cool:

16. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    What kind of 5 gold medals does the "Silver Collector" have? :eek:

17. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Gold is for the winner of a tournament and silver for the second place. We're not only talking about majors. :D

Airos likes this.
  18. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    But why everyone's calling LCW The Silver Collector then? You think fans not talking about big titles with that? o_O

19. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I agree with Rob3rt on this one.

Taufik doesn't have any All England,the most Prestigious SS. Whereas LCW defeated Prime Lin Dan and Chen Long to win his 3 All England titles.

Chong Wei has 63 titles compare to Taufik's 15 or so. While there is no doubt that Taufik was a better big match player than Lee CW.
    Lee Chong Wei IMO has a better overall career. His 200+ weeks as World Number 1 compared to Taufik's 10 days is difficult to digest for me even If I don't appreciate LCW much.

I think Taufik denied LCW a certain World Championship title in 2010 when Taufik was fading away and LCW in his absolute peak shows how great Taufik was in big matches.

But Chong Wei is too much consistent for him plus a lopsided H2H in his favour makes me think that history books will claim Chong Wei greater than Taufik.

20. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I've never heard anyone say that before. You're the first. What I read numerous times is "always plays second fiddle" but that's because people always - and wrongly in my opinion - only seem to focus on major titles instead of overall titles and performance. If you only count majors then yes, Taufik is better than LCW. But so is Chen Jin then, who also has a world championship gold medal; you get my point. ;)