Is grunting, yelling and screaming during play considered not good for Badminton?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by chris-ccc, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

So OK what if the opponent shout everytime you hit the bird? its strange but it happend to me last tuesday. Everytime im about smash or hit the bird my opponent shout "woooooww!!". Its really ackward. BTW, i dont know this guy and end up beating him. But im still wondering what was he doing and how should i react to it because i did feel a bit annoyed about it. Can anyone suggest?

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Let's enjoy our Badminton without additional distractions

:D:D:D Just tell him/her - Let's enjoy our Badminton without additional distractions.

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I think its okay to make some noise when he hits the shuttle, though I dont like it when my opponent really yells. That cant be unintentionally and no one can tell me that its necessary for them to play their best. Watching Nova Widianto irritates me - hes played for so long he probably cant stop it anymore, but it really annoys me. I myself grunt when I have to move very fast/jump far or when I hit a smash. But I dont know if my opponent can even hear it, its not loud at all.
    Although I'm all for trickery and deception, I think yelling to throw off your opponent is not fair. Its just to irritate them and has nothing to do with skill or mental strength, it just serves to break your opponents concentration. Yelling when the opponent hits the shuttle is just totally unnecessary, just like shouting in their face when you win a point. I yell when I win a good point or win it with a really good shot, but never at my opponent (like Andrew Smith likes to do).
    And I would like to know if the champions scream anything that makes sense (after winning a rally) or if its just nonsense - I noticed the chinese often seem to scream the same, but maybe thats just their form of 'Ha!' or something like that.

4. smax5001

smax5001 Regular Member

Student
    During competition, its okay to be annoying as much as you want to. Like any sport. Doesn't mean you will be liked or hated or ect. Competition is also part of the mentality game. You can be all dramatic all you want and I'm sure you get penalize for worse awful behaviors. However for friendly matches, just say something. No one regulates anything other than yourself. Its like social standards, either go with the flow or make it your way good or bad.

5. alexh

alexh Regular Member

No, it's not OK to be annoying. If you behave badly, you will be disliked, and it isn't good for the sport as a whole. Same for any sport (except maybe WWF wrestling :) Just try to annoy people by using your badminton skills to win. Keep the personal stuff out of it.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

"Gamesmanship": One of the dubious tactics ???

So far, most Badminton players are still well-mannered and considerate, with proper court behaviuor.

But in competition Badminton, we are starting to see players going all out to distract their opponents. I think they call it "Gamesmanship", one of the dubious tactics, such as psychological intimidation or disruption of concentration, to gain an advantage over opponents.

7. smax5001

smax5001 Regular Member

Student
    I agree with chris. Besides those players can complain to the ref. But the ref allows it anyways so thats why its okay to taunt players to certain extent. If you taunt in way that makes the ref want to give you a penalty, then thats when you know its wrong. Take basketball for instance, I'm a Lakers fan and hate KG and the celtics for their cheating playstyle. And because Lakers played "soft" in 2008, they started to play more like Boston til now to win. And you know what, sports allow it. Sponsorship made even more money. And it was a good thing for sports. Like it or not more people like the drama.
    Sorry but its true. If you happen to be a competitor, complain to the ref. If you can't do anything, what else are you going to do??? Simple, play harder and ignore... Or create drama and back it up with your skills (that actually draw even a bigger name for yourself).
    And yes this happens many times before. A good example is Brock Lesnar and Fedor Emelianko. Apparently more people heard about Brock Lesnar... I wonder why...

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

One thing good about Badminton is that it is not a body-contact sport

One thing good about Badminton is that it is not a body-contact sport. Therefore, no physical, but only psychological playstyle can be used. :):):)

9. Baddyl0ver

Baddyl0ver Regular Member

I love grunting to deceive a drop shot! But of courseeee to perfect this deception...you need the proper body movement too! long live deception shots lol =D

10. Baddyl0ver

Psychological intimidation is actually a skill you may want to master if you wanna get far in badminton competition. I don't find it bad or anything. In fact, i think those players well deserve the win!

11. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Okay for intimidation, but empire has to draw a limit-line when it becomes too arrogant or distracting for the opponents..

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I think only those who are insecure about themselves and their game, need to resort to these silly tactics. And I think the coaches and other team members who allow or encourage them, are equally responsible and culpable. It is the duty and responsibility of the coach to notice and correct any incorrect action of the player, and by not doing so, he is encouraging this nonsense.

13. mamapoko

mamapoko Regular Member

Student
    i think that yelling after a long high speed rally is appropriate.
    It'll keep you motivated especially when you're trailing your opponent on a large gap.
    Furthermore, i find a groan after you lost a rally which you are supposed to win appropriate as well.
    For me, it clears my mind and fustration on why i lost the point and allows me to continue the game...

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    The thread is to focus on yelling during a rally, not after. There is a huge difference. Yelling screaming and grunting at odd and unusual times during a rally is designed to upset the concentration and rhythm of the opponent by means other than your skills and equipment.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Intimidation is actually a skill you may want to master if you want to win

So...... If your opponents can intimidate you more than you can intimidate them, then your opponents deserve to win over you, than you over them?

I don't think that it's what you meant, or is it?

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Nice one!!! :) :)

17. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

Updated: October 1, 2010, 6:23 PM ET
    Research shows grunt advantage

Associated Press
    VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Rafael Nadal, Maria Sharapova and other tennis players might gain something by grunting.

That's according to researchers at the University of British Columbia and University of Hawaii, who say that tennis players who grunt during points might be getting an advantage over their opponents.

Their study, posted online Friday by the Public Library of Science, looks at the effects of noise on how people perceive where shots are going and says: "The presence of an extraneous sound interfered with a participant's performance, making their responses both slower and less accurate."

One of the study's authors, Scott Sinnett, says he plans further research on the subject.

Occasionally, professional players complain about opponents' grunting during rallies.

18. Baddyl0ver

It could be the case =)...but what im saying is not that it all depends on psychological intimidation. Immensely it depends on your skills and attitude towards the game. Psychological intimidation would be an asset. And if you read my post, i said "IT is not a bad thing. In fact, those players well deserve the win" I was making a statement based on people thinking that psychological intimidation is bad. Im not saying that psychological intimidation will get you the win for sure, just that IF they do....they deserve it =)

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    You know what sort of psychological tactics work best? When you move your opponent so much and at will, and wear him down in just one rally, so he knows he's completely owned. And then you just look at him without emotion. You don't need to shout or stomp or grunt or fart or anything to win. Your PLAY is intimidation enough.

Attitude is all about projecting your confidence and capability; it's not about doing the same things that children do when they are refused a toy! :D

They deserve what? To shout if they win? So who cares if they shout after they win?
    They deserve to win if they shout? Are they playing badminton or are they on a podium?
    Either way, that quote above makes zero sense.

20. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    It is a fault to use the voice to deceive any shot.