Is grunting, yelling and screaming during play considered not good for Badminton?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by chris-ccc, Jan 4, 2010.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Greetings,

Is grunting, yelling and screaming during play considered not good for Badminton?

Before you answer, have a read of;
    this link
    and
    also this link

Cheers... chris-ccc
    :):):)

2. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

Copy pasted my answer from the other post to here as it seems to be more appropriate here - yet it covers mostly my views on yelling as I think grunting is fine whilst screaming and yelling is not.

I seriously don't get people who yell. I think the last guy I played who yelled was back when I just started playing competetivly in the lowest rank (D) here in Denmark. Since then I've moved up quite a bit, playing in the second best/best rank I haven't encountered anyone who yelled. Sure there have been some grunters but there is a huge difference between grunting and yelling. And most of the pros are actually grunting rather than yelling and they aren't doing so on EVERY smash.

But what I REALLY don't get about it is where you get the energy to play these mental games - there is enough to think about on the court without the "should I yell or not" thoughts as well. I would recommend you focus more on figuring out how to play your opponent and actually WIN the game straight up rather than trying to win it by annoying your opponent - at least I find this more satisfying, since I know that whoever I beat it is because I am actually better than them.

Fairplay is one of the cornerstones in this sport, and frankly, yelling for no reason (like when trying to do it deceptivly) isn't really fairplay. It might not be directly forbidden, but neither is being an arrogant prick and both results in people disliking you, and why make enemies on the court?

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Personally, I am not affected by those grunters, yellers or screamers

Thank you for your input Trmun. :):):)

Personally, I am not affected by those grunters, yellers or screamers.
    But I know some players are.

4. hellopanda3

hellopanda3 Regular Member

TRAIN!
    I agree with the first paragraph (quoted) completely and everything else before it (not quoted).
    The second one I agree with mostly.

In your second paragraph, you spoke about yelling to deceive; how about grunting to deceive?
    I've seen pros who have used grunts deceptively to fool opponents into thinking they are going to smash only to hit a drop. I think it's part of the game. And as far as I know, most people are ok with this deceptive use. It adds depth to the game.

5. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

Difference between a yell and a grunt is that I'm still able to hear the sound the shuttle makes with the strings - aka, I'm not losing out on anything when he grunts, but I am when he yells as I don't get the sound information.

Hence I also don't really think it is the grunt that throws the other player off, but rather the body language :p

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Using grunting to deceive can be hilariously funny

Talking about using grunting to deceive, this is true and understandable. But sometimes, it can be hilariously funny. For example, we see players doing the Service with a grunt like how players do in Tennis.

Doing the Service for Tennis, many players grunt because power is required. But for a low/short Service in Doubles for Badminton, where little power is required, grunting to deceive an opponent is just too much. :D:D:D

7. druss

druss Regular Member

Personally, I couldn't give a rats ass on what my opponent does on the other side of the court. As long as he does not distract me when I play MY shot, I don't care what he does when he's hitting his own. Yell, scream, grunt, spit... etc.

8. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

I don't have much of a problem with it probably because I don't face it at every training session. The one thing I really disagree with is using grunts to disguise a drop shot as a powerful smash or clear, I dislike how they are using their voice to disguise it rather than their arm or racket movement, which is really, in my opinion how it should be done.

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Just distract them back. Get a microphone wired to ya. Put some speakers on the opponents side of the court then do your famous grunt/yell! ha ha ha!

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

That's how they want to deceive

:D:D:D Hahaha... But that's how they want to deceive.

To deceive: Grunt when doing a gentle shot; quiet when doing a powerful shot. :p:p:p

11. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Silent, but deadly!!!

12. hellopanda3

TRAIN!
    Ha. I might be a little worried if the opponents spit. I might have to play on that side of the court later.

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The health services regulators could come in to take some action as well

Hahaha...

Not only the umpiring service would take some action, but the health service regulators could come in to take some action as well. :p:p:p

14. Random-person1

Random-person1 New Member

Student
    I like to "ha" or grunt of you will when i smash.. or "fake a smash" (drop) LOL
    But I tend to yell and fist pump if i win a good long rally then high-five my partner or something.
    I think a lot of people grunt or make some sort of sound when preforming a strong attack or use sounds to fake a strong smash. Also, I hear pros go like "hocha!" when they win any rally, duno if that means something in their language. I really think it's just part of the game, because drama/emotion always makes sports even more exciting!!

15. hellopanda3

TRAIN!
    I hear it more as HAZZAH.
    Fu Haifeng yells that a lot so maybe Chinese?

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

"Jia You" = "Add more power"

Quite often, Fu Haifeng would yell at his partner "Jia You" - "Add more power". ;););)

17. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    The Time Release Grunt !

I seriously can't remember which match but it was the WD category in World Champs 2009.

A WD pair from Japan was againts a 'new' Malaysian WD pair. The Japs had a really nasty Grunt. And it wasn't just the decible! :D

I can't exactly remember what it sounded like but I seriously remember how much it annoyed me. It was one of those 'snort' kind of sounds perhaps.

There was a 'delay' in the grunt after the hit is made! It was so frusterating to listen / watch the match (It did not occur to me that I could have muted the volume, but then I'd miss out on the lovely commentary ;) )

The DELAY of the grunt was so long it basically came out when it was the opponents turn to reply!!! Watching the whole thing made me go crazy. LOL

The MAS pair lost without any complaints tho.

#17 jug8man, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Used as tactics to distract their opponents

That's for sure. It sure can be used as tactics to distract their opponents.

Many receiving opponents do not wish to complain. If they do, it could be said that they are mentally weak.

It is all part of the game.

But how far should this noisy type of play is to be tolerated, BWF has to decide on it (the same applies to the Tennis Federation).

19. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    But if they do not 'positively' react to it, they might be too 'timid' or too nervous to even 'control the athmosphere' of the match.

This is worse imho. I've seen plenty of champions from Europe or Asia made protest (regarding delaying, grunting, & etc) and not beconsidered mentally weak.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The grunting has to stop

That's correct.

That's why BCers were asked to read the 2 links given in the opening post of this thread.
    And also, read this link (even though it's Tennis related): The grunting has to stop