Is grunting, yelling and screaming during play considered not good for Badminton?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by chris-ccc, Jan 4, 2010.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I dont care if someone celebrates points they've actually won, but when somebody screams their head off on my unforced errors or misjudgements that pisses me off.

Cheung likes this.
  2. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Which ironically means they should do it more :p

LenaicM and Cheung like this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How about if they forced you to make that simple error but you didn’t realise....;)

phihag likes this.
  4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Depends on the kind of opponent. For me, its usually a kind of bad idea to piss me off - at least in doubles. I tend to play with more intensity when I'm pissed off, and there may have been instances where I finished a point with a harder shot (to the body) than necessary... :D

5. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

Watching this compilation was quite an exercise in becoming Buddha-like; I am certain, the compiler had more tolerance and patience to bring it about. Bravo!

Aside from that, your frustration is quite understandable.

It is also a matter of perspective, we the spectators, and forum posters, label it as screaming; the player apparently, not.

However, punishing by issuing yellow and red card sanctions must have basis in law.
    The way these [laws] are written, a distraction - by shouting or gestures - during a rally would be a fault, and if stretched further, it could be a sanctionable offence. Intimidating an opponent otherwise would be too.

This screaming does not fulfil either of these considerations.

Players playing in a federation sanctioned tournament are bound to conduct themselves in an honourable and sportsmanslike manner, or clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport.

Could the law pertaining behaviour be invoked?
    Most likely. The law permits administering breaches of player behaviour if offensive or inappropriate.

However, precedent is a major consideration. If no one else, from when time began has penalised the screaming behaviour, it is almost a given, someone in the high chair with enough courage and conviction will be the first. And once the flood gates open, well, we can all hope for, cant we?