Indonesia team for WC2005

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by Melmel, Jul 26, 2005.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

The latest news is that PBSI is rejecting their request to fund their own expenses to compete in the WC. This is really becoming ridiculous and no doubt, it will affect the morale of the players and coaches. PBSI has set the tone of becoming TARGET-ORIENTED for future tournaments and this has been highlighted by Rudi Hartono in today's Kompas. One reason of not sending those players is that they have been in the Pelatnas (national team) for 3 years or more and yet, the only best showing is a final placing in the Denmark Open 2005. That is why they were not sent to Aneheim. I am terribly disappointed with PBSI and especially with Rudi Hartono supporting this kind of short-sighted decisions!

2. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Great players not necessary imples that they are great coaches. Here is another example - Rudi Hartono.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yeah.. its true that this young pair will not be going to WC. They are surely dissapointed the the decision. Well it means one thing.. even if you have money to go. When you are part of the Association.. you are still being controlled.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

On this idea by Rudi Hartono, i was able to meet and speak with Halim Haryanto(coach at OCBC, USA) today and get his opinon.
    He said he understood the decision being made by PBSI/Rudy Hartono-which is basically they've been using the excuse of "lacking funds" ever since he played and maybe before. According to Halim, basically PBSI is going back to the previous system when he was still playing in the mid 90s to early 2000s, where PBSI, even with limited funds, will send ONLY QUALIFIED players that they *believe* have the "best" chance to finish better. So when PBSI send certain players, if they perform good, then they will keep sending those same players even if the funds are limited.
    However, Halim also questioned whether PBSI is doing the wise thing or not, by not sending out the younger players to gain experience, as to have an effect on a re-generation period.

5. smash

smash Regular Member

accountant
    I think the result of 7 tournaments for Markis/Hendra it's just "not that bad", I would like to say it's outstanding for new young entries MD, they only beat by no.1 ranked, and other senior pairs and none of them is young entries like's MArkis/Hendra, and when all senior pair retired then the glory will be for Markis/Hendra, so they should be send to WC instead of Flandy/Eng which probably this is the last WC for them. If they send Markis/Hendra it would be good for their experience, like Cai/Fu who got to SF in WC2003 even though their is new young entries, what they have gain right now, they is the most powerfull pair and have bigger change to won WC2005 meaning 2 years from new bie become probably no2 seeded WC2005.

6. Melmel

Melmel Regular Member

Arrggghhh, i'm going crazy with PBSI actions! PBSI forbid the players who are qualified to go for WC2005 but didnt get selected by PBSI to go to WC even if the players going there with their own money...
    So Markis / Hendra wont be compete at WC although they want to pay with their own money, the reason : PBSI wants to be results oriented, so only those players who have the chance to go to semifinal will be sent, what a nonsense! Pardon my language fellow BFers....
    For those who can understand Indonesian language , please click the below link to read more about the news, it is taken from kompas (indonesian newspaper)
    http://www.kompas.com/olahraga/news/0507/27/211136.htm

#26 Melmel, Aug 5, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  7. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

I understand not sponsoring perceived less hopeful players to international tournaments, but if the players can afford to pay their own way at no cost to the association, why shouldn't they go?

I think there's something more going on behind the scene that we're not privy to. One wild conspiracy theory: Didn't someone mention that one of those guys pissed off some PBSI big-wig at a breakfast some time back? Could this be payback time?

8. badMania

badMania Regular Member

There is the quote by Rudi Hartono which has attracted some attention from the local press. Quoted from Kompas: "Dia menegaskan, mulai saat ini ia tak ingin lagi melihat pemain pelatnas Cipayung hadir sebagai ”pelengkap penderita”".

Translated into English, it simply means that Rudi does not want to see any Indonesian players to compete in tournaments and came home being defeated by players from less-known countries, which eventually brings humiliation to the nation (Indonesia). So, the players that are sent to compete will be set a target (minimum semi-final) and failure to meet the target will bring about punishments, in terms of not being sent to the future tournaments, extra practice sessions, and so on. So, taking the example of Taufik, if the target for him is to reach semi-finals in EVERY tournaments, whenever he reaches the quarter-final and lost (eg: the upcoming WC) he will get a penalty in terms of not being sent to the next tournament, which is the China Masters (even though he gets the invitation).

I think this kind of system sucks and will deter the development of young players!

9. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Ah, the negative reinforcement management style, I see. :rolleyes: I think the concept of "loss of face" is fairly universal. But, honestly, do people really think less of Indonesia as a country or even just its badminton program if some of its players don't make it to the semifinal of tournaments or lost to players from countries with lesser known programs? I think this is more of an imagined problem than a real one. Just MHO.

My confusion remains. I understand if PBSI don't want to sponsor some players whatever their reasons are. It is their money after all. But, if the said players can find another way of funding their trip, especially to tournaments they're qualified for, where's the problem?

I still think there's more going on behind the scene and other politics at play regarding these two guys that we're not privy to and PBSI's not revealing.

10. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

PBSI justifies decision to send only 10 players to worlds [font=Arial, Helvetica]

The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Badminton Association of Indonesia (PBSI) secretary-general MF Siregar defended on Wednesday the decision to keep at home half of the players who qualified for the upcoming World Badminton Championships.

Siregar said it was not worthwhile sending the low-ranked women's singles and doubles players to the worlds simply for international experience, which he believed could be gained from competing in other overseas events.

"There can be no bargaining about performance when it comes to the Olympics and the world championship," Siregar told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday before a meeting to discuss standardization of national coaching.

"We are only sending those players with a strong certainty of making the semifinals."

Ten of the 20 players who qualified under the International Badminton Federation's rankings system are being sent to Anaheim, California, for the Aug. 15-Aug 21 worlds. The players, plus eight coaches and officials, will leave on Thursday morning.

PBSI chairman Sutiyoso also justified the selection of the team during a ceremony at City Hall on Tuesday.

"We have to be target oriented, so if a player is already certain on paper of being thrashed in the first round, why send them? ..." he was quoted as saying by Antara news service.

Siregar did not expect any major problems in adjustment for the players, saying the warm fall weather would be to their liking. There is also a large Indonesian expatriate community in southern California, including 2001 world men's doubles champions Tony Gunawan and Halim Haryanto.

Siregar, whose children live near the venue for the worlds, praised the arena as an excellent facility but he would not speculate on whether the country could win its first titles since 2001 in Seville, where Tony/Halim and men's singles player Hendrawan took top honors.

"We cannot make any predictions yet about who may be champion, there are too many variables involved. We will have to see when we get there how the players are performing on court."

The players have been undergoing stepped-up training in recent weeks, focused on building up their stamina and physical fitness, honing their shot accuracy and providing mental preparation, the latter overseen by a team from the Indonesian Army.

Athens Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat may be able to break the world title drought if he can keep his emotions under control and repeat the form that led him to defeating Denmark's Peter Gade, China's world number one Lin Dan and Hong Chen for the Singapore Open in July.

Talented Taufik is known for his mercurial temperament, and Siregar said his desire to win was the key factor.

"If he really wants it, there is no question he can do it. That was why he won in Athens. It's just a question of whether he wants it that much."

Now 23, Taufik believes his time may be running out to win the world crown.

"Hopefully, I can succeed, because this may be my last opportunity. There is no guarantee for the future that I could do it," he said on Tuesday.

Seeded sixth for this worlds, Taufik lost in the last 16 at the 1999 worlds, semis in 2001 and quarterfinal in 2003. He is likely to face second seeded Dane Kevin Jonassen in the quarterfinals.

At Tuesday's gathering, Sutiyoso also said there would be "reward and punishment" system for players and coaches who failed to reach targets. The coaches should know who their players will meet, and have a program so they can discuss strategy before the encounter. Coaches must also closely monitor the condition of their athletes." ---------------------------- Team: Taufik Hidayat and Sony Dwi Kuncoro (men's singles); Candra Wijaya/Sigit Budiarto, Luluk Hadiyanto/Alvent Yulianto, Flandy Limpele/Eng Hian (men's doubles); Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir (mixed doubles).
    [/font]

11. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If every country thinks like Indonesia Badminton Federation, then the WC will be a disaster. There may only be about 20 players in the MS and less in other events.

Another thing I can't understand is why they accepted the offers in the first place. Pulling out after all the entries are finalised may take away a place that someone else may want even if he thinks he will lose in the first round.

If it is not a matter of lacking in funds, everyone who qualified should be sent. It is the world championships and it won't do if players get pulled out just because no one thinks they can make the semifinals.

12. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Exactly that's the worst part of it all.But i think funding is also the problem here.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Boy, here's something more to share with you guys..

(sigh)Well, just a few more things to share with you guys, which i don't think i should "open up"..

But tonight, after meeting and helping the Indonesian team check-in at the hotel, i realized it's basically all about money.

Here's what happened. Nearing the end of our check-in process, Lius Pongoh, who is a nice and friendly person, who is also acting as the Team Manager asked me to ask/translate to the travel agent, if it is possible if they can get a refund/get the money back if they cancel a room halfway through the week. What he meant was, say if one of the player or players are eliminated early in the first 2-3 days, they would then actually send that player(s) back to Indonesia, just like that. No waiting around, wasting time, no compromise or anything. And the rooms already being booked, will be cancelled and they will get the money back.

?!?!?! WOW, WOW, WOW:eek: ...Now, i understand that they are thinking economics here. But after i heard that, my mind and facial expression just went befuddled. "WOW, unbelievable", that's what i said in my heart. "How can they do or think such a thing?", IMO, it is very incompassionate. Imagine the long flight from Indonesia(which they took the non-stop SQ flight) and then a few days later, bam, just like that he/she is sent back.........wow, don't they know how long the flight took??.... :confused: :(

I'm just afraid, if their mindset is like this, I don't think it will be beneficial to all the younger players still training in PBSI. In a way, they are only thinking about "now" and "present". Not thinking about the "future" and "regeneration" and what will happen in the future, which is what PBSI needs. I could be wrong on this, but down the line, they could regret doing what they are doing now...

#33 ctjcad, Aug 11, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  14. yuichiru_cloudy

yuichiru_cloudy Regular Member

#34 yuichiru_cloudy, Aug 12, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  15. nugroho

nugroho Regular Member

what a crab...

huh.... :confused: i feltsorry when i red that article about the economics things... common... they are human being... they are not robot... they are not slave... they are our hero...
    (it's all bout the money .. it's all bout the dam..dam... dam, dam ,dam dam,....
    i dont hink it's funny... ) lyrics of a song...
    oh my ...
    should we open donation for those people ? ? ?
    PBSI need more money to go vacation... do they need to cut the expenses of a tournament ? common...
    well... i can say no more... heard a thing like this.. i'm thinking about take another nationality ...

shame indonesia

16. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

For one thing i guess they have to spend a lot since the WC is in a far of place and also since it is in the US.Though i am not in favour of the decision either,the only thing that can be done now is to put the money saved to good use in domestic tournaments etc.

17. yuichiru_cloudy

18. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

If they do allow them then everyone will think all that funding IS the problem.

19. nugroho

nugroho Regular Member

i think so.. it's might be also about prestige...since i red here that PBSI doesn't want to send player if they might be "just a looser".

well everything has their own advantage and disadvantage. so... i think PBSI thought already about this things which might be their risk if they used this method...

20. yuichiru_cloudy

now i understand it, u r right!
    what a complicated world, huh?
    well, when i see that candra-sigit will sent to WC, i was really astonish, uknow?indonesia team always sent the old player for the winning,why dont they sent one who talented and young?like susi susanti, i think she had play for indonesia over ten years.....
    but im quite happy can see they (i mean candra-sigit) fight again...