Indonesia team for WC2005

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by Melmel, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Melmel

Melmel Regular Member

Just read from online Indonesian newspaper (Kompas) that out of 20 players who are qualified for WC 2005, only 10 of them will be sent to represent INA.

They are :
    MS : Taufik Hidayat, Sony Dwi Kuncoro
    MS : Chandra/Sigit, Flandy/Eng Hian, Luluk/Alven
    MX : Nova/Lilyana

The reason is because these players have more chance to reach at least semifinal rather than the other 10 players who are qualified but wont be sent to WC 2005, seems PBSI does not want to waste their money...but i just feel it will create big dissapointment to those who are qualified but wont be sent to WC...
    Especially for Markhis Kido/Hendra, although they are the weakest MD player compared with those seniors but they are still young and thir result quite promising for new comer...dissapointed...hope PBSI will change their decision.

#1 Melmel, Jul 26, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  2. JumpingSmash

JumpingSmash Regular Member

I think it's ridiculous not to send the player because money thing although we are on economic crisis (that never end) now

3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    These PSBI offical are really short sighted. This is a good chance for the younger players to gain expenice. No wonder Indonesia no long dominate MS and MD like 10 years ago.

4. Melmel

Melmel Regular Member

Markis Kidho/Hendra decide to pay their own airline ticket if PBSI wont send them to the WC2005, even thir coach, Christian Hadinata dissapointed with PBSI decision not to send them to the WC 05...

5. uluh dayak

uluh dayak Regular Member

they shouldn't have made Sutiyoso a chairman. he barely knows badminton. It's like asking tarzan how to fix a spaceship. This boils me:mad: :mad: :mad: . A lot of disapointment here, especially from those who skipped SO and MO so that they can be at WC.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Classic issue with PBSI is rearing it's ugly head..again

Yes, confirmed about the news, just read also on Jawapos online..

Boy, what a big disappointment and embarrassment this has to be. Disappointments esp. to the players who have been eagerly anticipating and waiting for this chance as they've qualified. But, what else is new, PBSI is rearing it's ugly head again, and the culprit is none other than MONEY issue.
    Just because PBSI is not wise and did not kept their words on this, many people will look back at PBSI and question "has anything really change??"..

According to the article, PBSI will not send any of its up-and-coming young players. Actually PBSI is using the criteria of "can the players being sent to the WC capable of reaching the SF round?" as a selection mode. And after overseeing and making judgment done by the coaches and Rudy Hartono, they've decided to send only 10 players instead of the proposed 20 players. None of the Women's field will be sent(WS nor WD). But behind all this they're actually using an excuse that PBSI is not ready financially as the main reason. Further some if not most people have questioned the wisdom and decision being made from the head of PBSI, Sutiyoso. Esp. after the recent events(ie. Badminton on Streets, Asian Junior Championship, ABC General meeting and last the Legend Duel) held in Jakarta which the cost ran to close to $1,000,000 they've estimated, they've actually could send all 20 players with a budget of around $50,000(airline ticket/person is around $1300, accommodation/per person is around $1200). Cost that is much less than than $100,000..
    Even some of the WS players who have been training and being prepared by Hendrawan the past 2-3 months will not come along as well, as they've already promised and been training for. They even skipped the Singapore Open and Malaysian Open just to have an extra time for this WC preparation.
    One of the PBSI member even wonder, why at least the younger players, even if they don't have any chance, at least they can gain valuable experience playing in a big and important event. He compared China and Korea who are able to send quite a few of their young players.

IMO, after looking at the list of players, realistically I don't think Sony will have a chance to reach the SF. If PBSI thinks otherwise, then they are putting much pressure on Sony. Maybe not even Flandy/Eng Hian. What if in the MD, those 3 pairs will play against each other before the QF??If the news is true about Hendra and Markis willing to pay for their own airline tickets, just so they can go the WC, it will be really embarrassing for PBSI. What happened to their commitment and promises??Where is Rudy Hartono, the new head honcho of the National Development and Achievement, when you need him??I though he was "calling the shots" and Sutiyoso will follow??.. Yes, i agree with another poster here, hopefully PBSI will think back and change their decision..

I think PBSI is gambling a bit here, because they are thinking "short-term". But in "longer-term", this gamble could backfire in the future as their trust to the players, as well as to the coaches, is at stake. Unbelievable... :confused:

7. Tornado

Tornado Regular Member

If they are the fourth MD from INA and not among the top 8 in the world, I don't think they are qualified. The only event there will be four representitives from a single country would be China in WD, where their top four pairs are all in the top FIVE in the ranking.

8. Melmel

Melmel Regular Member

They are indeed qualified for WC 2005, it is true that at the beginning only China can send 4 pairs of WD, but at the end IBF decided to enter some additional players to be qualified for WC2005 and some of them are Markis/Hendra.

Please click the link below to see the final entries for WC 2005
    http://www.worldbadminton.net/Portal/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=10&ItemID=1831

9. peace

peace Regular Member

I think it's a foolish mistake PBSI did. The young players should be sent in order to get experience, especially the pressure in the big tournaments.
    It is really ridiculuous.
    In the badminton era nowadays, we cannot even guarantee that our best player will reach semifinal, final etc. I mean, it's not a guarantee that players like Taufik will reach the target. So many good players now. It will be a hard and tough competition.

For Markis/Hendra, I hope you will not be down due to this stupid decision.
    PBSI, you should think carefully before you decided, remember Markis/Hendra will be Indonesian assets in the future.

If PBSI always do like this, don't ever dream that Thomas, Uber and Sudirman Cup will go back to Indonesia. Remember, the regeneration takes time and a moment like WC 2005 is the time to gain more experience for players.

I don't know what exactly the problem, but I don't believe that the problem is money.

10. badMania

badMania Regular Member

YUP, has read the news on Kompas online yesterday and today. Today, there is an article about comments made by Rudi Hartono. It seems that PBSI is now more target-oriented vs future-oriented. There was this comment abt "Indonesians will be disappointed if the players sent lost to Hong-Kong or Thai players", etc etc, which I think is simply rubbish!

Markhis Kidho/Hendra Setiawan should be sent because they are the assets of the future as one of u mentioned here. Let them have the experience of playing top teams...so what if they lost ? Look at Cai/Fu. They were sent to WC2003 and surprisingly went all the way to semi-final, before losing to Candra/Sigit. This is the tournament all players are dying to play in....and forget abt targets! Flandy/Eng Hian are instead sent even though they are ranked lower than Markhis/Hendra...and we know that they are going to retire in the near future....its really an unwise decision!

When can the women team improve if they are not sent to tournaments? They have already beeen excluded most tournamnets this year, including the recent Singapore and Malaysian Open so that they can be better prepared for the WC. Now, they are not sent there....u can imagine the frustration and disappointment of Hendrawan and his girls. Forget about the Uber Cup for the time being....focus on improving the ranking of the players...and the only way to do this is to send them to higher ranked tournaments!

11. BuezaWebDev

BuezaWebDev Regular Member

when are the WC 2005?

Will someone be recording it? I'd be willing to pay for the DVD's like I did for WC2003. :p

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    A thousand ideas, a thousand thoughts contend. This is life, it's diversity a blessing to most but a curse to some. To be fair to the Indon officials, our opinions may be based on much less information than the officials have. This is how it works best-leave it to the responsible officials to decide, because they are so chosen to do precisely that. They are the chosen ones, with the authority and responsibilty for success or failure. If they fail, they get kicked out, and new ones are chosen. To let the public be the sole selector is irresponsible. Some of the Indon officials were great badminton players of their time, are very dedicated officials, serving their country and Indon badminton selflessly. I am sure Rudy Hartono is part of the team that made the decision.

13. uluh dayak

uluh dayak Regular Member

i don't agree. i think it is so obvious that the official are really the one to blame. i really think that sending young players to as many competition as possible should be the main agenda for all the time beside training improvement in cipayung. it benefits to their experience, their morale, their nationality and some more benefit.
    it became so unacceptable because pbsi has run so many insignificant agenda like the recent record breaking in sudirman street and legends duel(its not that great, they let sutiyoso played together with rudy hartono "horrid:eek: "). I think setting the priority correctly should be put above leadership, facility improvement, and good sponsorship.
    and imo Rudys judgement and decision could easily be bent toward certain direction by the charismatic sutiyoso.

14. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

"The big name" behind this decision, Rudy Hartono who ever coach 6 junior players to be top players (Alan Budi Kusuma, Ardy Wiranata, Hermawan Susanto, Joko Suprianto, Bambang Suprianto & Fung Permadi) plus one Haryanto Arbi.
    I thaught the main reason is player's performance in Singapore Open & Malaysia Open not "Semi Final Target".

Markis/Hendra off course were most dissappointed with this decision but the have been sent in much Open Tournament in this year (maybe most than others Indonesian players) and they didn't play well in Singapore & Malaysia.
    The experiences could be found in many tournament not only World Championships.

Ladies Doubles, Novita/Nurlita & Poluakan/Mundiatsi aren't paired again. Novita/Nurlita didn't play well in Malaysia, lost to Lee Kyung Won/Lee Hyo Jung easily in 1st round. In Singapore Novita/Polii beat this KOR Double and through Semi Final. If Novita/Polii qualify to WC, I'm sure they will be sent.

Ladies Singles, Fransisca & Firdasari aren't sent in SIN & MAS but they played in Thailand & Japan. They never win a tournament although small tournament (Satellite tournament), they lost to another Indonesian player (the last tournament is Jakarta Open Satellite).

#14 Sandy, Jul 28, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  15. magical_phoenix

magical_phoenix Regular Member

I agree that maybe Indonesian officials have some information that we don't that force them to make such a decision. But what I don't like is that they are saying this.

It seems that they are viewing the Hong Kong and Thai players in contempt and see them as their inferior, which is simply untrue!! Those countries have some really good players (like Ng Wei from HK or Saralee/Thungthongkam from Thai), and why would it be any more embarrassing losing to them than losing to the other countries.. :confused: :confused: :confused:

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    There are two Indonesian cast-asides in the Hong Kong team. For a great badminton nation like Indonesia, losing to Hong Kong with Indonesian rejects could be humiliating, and could leave a life-long scar that might conceivably affect the morale and psyche of Indonesian badminton for a long time to come.
    In the 1940s and 1950s Malaysia was supreme in badminton, thrashing other countries like Denmark with one-sided scores. When Indonesia challenged Malaysia for the first time in 1957-8, Malaysia under-rated the Indonesians and were shocked when they were beaten. This sent Malaysian badminton into the wilderness which it is still trying to recover.

17. chemile

chemile Regular Member

Hmm...I read it in 'Bola' yesterday. Seem terrible. I mean, if PBSI think that they waste their money, just inform well to all players who are in listing that they have target, and only players who are be estimated to reach semifinal that they will sent from the beginning. So, players such as Markis/Hendra, Ardianti, Fransisca may prepare for another tournaments. They announced in last minutes when players ready to go, it made dissapointed. Especially for Kido/Hendra. We know that their performance recently not as good as their seniors. But, for their experience and probably in WC they can be 'dark horse', topple down seededs, to easier another Indonesian pair to be a winner, why then they are not be sent? PBSI 'lagu lama diputar kembaliii.....'

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Here is Markis/Hendra's record this year:
    Out of 7 tournaments, they managed to reach one semi-final (German Open, lost to the no 1 ranked Eriksen/Hansen) and two quarter-finals (Swiss Open and Japan Open, to Flandy/Eng Hian and Cai/Fu respectively). They lost in the first round of Korea Open (to Robertson/Blair) and All England (Tony Gunawan/Howard Bach). Two other two recent tournaments resulted in second round defeats to Paaske/Rasmussen and Sang/Xie.

I think their record is not that bad. They have also shown that they can defeat Flandy/Eng Hian and Chan/Koo. Demanding at least a semi-final place in WC is ridiculous from them, but, a quarter-final showing should be within reach if they are sent there. I don't think Flandy/Eng Hian could reach semi-final also, so, its really not logical that they are sent there even though they have a lower rank. If PBSI were to be fair, then only send Candra/Sigit and Luluk/Alven to the WC.

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Concur with this post...About Markis/Kidho being a "dark horse" and topple down other seeds, it could be a double-edge sword. If they DON'T meet the other 3 Indonesian pairs before QF, it should be good. However, if they DO meet the other 3 Indo pairs before QF, it wouldn't be a good idea...

It's OK though, as U.S. will put out their "Ace card" in Tony Gunawan(along with Howard B.), just say they are the "4th Indo pair" and hope they don't meet any of the 3 Indo pairs before the QF and can topple some seeded pair(s)...My feeling is the U.S. pair will at least reach the QF stage..

20. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    PBSI is not sending the mens pair of Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan to Anaheim. This really frustrated their coach Christian Hadinata. However the young pair will be going to US to compete for the WC but this time with their own funds.
    It is a waste not sending this young pair to the WC since it will definitely provide them with good experience and part of grooming them for the future senior Indo doubles player.