Grip size. What's yours?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Cheung, May 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    That's why i say, it's more "personal preference"...

Since i am just the exactly opposite. If I don't put at least 1 layer of overgrip on my rackets (most are like yonex g4 size), I just can't play well.

Or, maybe just me like that??? :confused:

2. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I personally like a medium sized grip / slightly large one. I love the damping of the large grips, especially replacement grip, specifically Karakal Kushy grip. Of course I don't like it too big. Someone mentioned a huge grip will lock your wrist at times. On my main BK racquet, I have 2 Yonex Super Grap, and Karakal Kushy grip (Replacement). I did take off the stock grip since it had those bumps/ridges which I dislike which would affect all of the other layers.

Feels just right.

Yodums

3. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    i'd say i have a medium sized grip compared to my hand.... my doubles partner has roughly the same size hand and he has a larger grip than me...while his mixed partner has a slightly smaller hand, but her grip is about as thick as a pencil...

as for how i put on my grip, i fold it over so it's got 2 layers.... and then i overlap just the TINIEST bit so i have some ridges.... i usually end up using the entire grip (sometimes a little short too... depending on racquet) but hey, i paid for it, might as well use it all

4. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

With replacement grip on the top, I only fold it over to the maximum where it doesn't produce any ridges. Thick grip overlapping = very big ridges!

The cut off about enough to fold around my grip twice.

5. tarepanda

tarepanda Regular Member

Automotive Service Technician Apprentice and Colle
    I used to like huge grips before too but since I got my Gosen racket, I went down a size or two. I think my Gosen is a 3U and I replaced the original grip and put on a Gamma replacement grip and a Gosen Ripple Overwrap. My Wilson (back up racket) used to have TWO replacement grips on it. Now it's one replacement and one overwrap but it's still too big. Maybe i'll try the Karakal Kushy grip that Yodums mentioned.

But choosing a grip is like some said in this thread. It's personal preference. If you have a kinda big hand like me, then go for one replacement and one or two overwraps. Or you can do what I used to do, two replacements and maybe an overwrap. Experiment and you'll find what you like.

Tare Panda

6. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

Grip - Thick Vs Thin

hello..

can anyone tell my the pros and cons of griping my racquet really thick... and really thin?

currently,

i feel that griping very thick help me to generate power better... but control wise.....i mean manuver wise.. the racquet declined....

but with thinner grips...... tend to use more wrist and manuever wise has increased...

pardon me for my bad english

7. Kennyb

Kennyb Regular Member

I don't think there are any pros or cons to this. It more depends on how big your hand is really and if it's comfortable for you to hold on to.

8. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

like kennyb mentioned..IMHO, i think it has something to do with the size of the hand..however, i do see people with medium size hands using thick grips while i see some people with large hands using smaller grips....it could all do with preference.

For me, I find that I get the opposite of what you mentioned fhchiang.

With a thick grip, I don't get as much power. I use the finger technique and usually with a thicker grip, i can't fling the racket in the palm of my hands very well (and my hand is between medium and big sized). However, I find that the control of my shots seem to be similar to when i use a thinner grip.

With the thinner grip, i definitely get more power but because I'm used to the grip size, my control is just as good as it is when i use a thicker grip (like i already mentioned). However, I find that when i use a thinner grip, i tend to get more blisters ..and that's probably from a result of gripping my racket too tight at times when i shouldn't..just a bad habit.

Like mentioned, I think that it has to do with some preference as well as hand size..but if one person is used to the size grip they use (big or small hands - thick or thin grip)..they usually stick with it because it provides them with what they think will give them max power/control.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    grip size is a fascinating topic. and there has been quite a lot of discussions on it already. i have done the work of searching for old threads and merged them all into one single thread so we can see all the comments made.

after Cheung's influence, now my personal preference is thin. i have normal sized hands, and i use grip size G4, with the original grip removed and one layer on top.

the advantage is much more maneuverable. esp when you are into doing delicate movements with fingers and also generating power with fingers. i also find that the thin grip give much better feel as there is little damping.

the disadvantage is that there is less cushy material and pressing against the wood with only one thin layer of grip can be uncomfortable.

i have used thick grips before and once in a while i will try on a racket with thick grip. i find that i can no longer control the racket with fingers like i can with others.

again, YMMV....

10. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

sry, just curious, what's YMMV?

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Your Mileage May Vary. meaning, it may or may not apply to you... :)

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I remember Kwun's grip:)

Before, it felt very big, I used to have a grip that big previously. It inhibits a lot of finger movement. Badminton is a highly technical game involving a lot of fine finger movement. Not noticable much if the majority of your game is overheads. Difficult to use once the user starts to try and learn more advanced techniques, especially net shots.

According the Kwun's description, his grip is now even smaller diameter than mine. I have G4, original leather grip removed, one thin grip as an underlay for cushioning and then another thin grip.

Kennyb, disagree with you;) What may feel comfortable at the beginning may not be optimal for the user for longer term improvement. The user should be prepared to keep an open mind and perhaps learn to be comfortable with a different grip size. Factors that may come into play are - change in technique, injury, finger mobility, finger/forearm muscle strength.

13. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I've no idea what grip size my racquets are in G5 G4 G3 terms.
    The circumferance of the grips range from 9.8 to 10.1 cm, averaging 9.944
    At 9.8 my ring finger just touches the base of my thumb, at 10.1 there is a small gap.

These are mostly standard Carlton grips with electrical insulation tape over them, and then towelling grip over that. I used to play with them at the size they came, but got tennis elbow symptoms. Since making them larger (and gripping less tightly) I have had no tennis elbow.

Anyone know what circumferance the G5 etc grips sizes are supposed to be?

14. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I'm using g4 with no overgrip right now. I can fit about 3 pens or pencils between my palm and the racquet and still be able to touch my palm-edge with my third finger. I wripped the under-foam off grip and rewrapped it, so it might be a little smaller than g4.

So far i've discovered that having a smaller handle has so many advantages:
    - allows you to hold the racquet more loosely, thereby allowing your hand and the racquet to breath and thus develop less sweat.

- more control, due to less sweat and the possibility to "swing" or wiggle the racquet from within a closed palm. And also because it's very easy to switch gripping style with a smaller handle

- more power, due to the ability to create a "whip" by having the racquet "wiggle" in the palm, making the racquet swing faster than your arm/wrist movement. (Especially with the pinky-smash, though I've come to use the thumb-leg upward push as well.)

- allows you to wrap the overgrip higher up the cone... which is good for me cuz I'm all over the cone like white on rice.

- allows you to have crazy swings that still generate power. I.e. a stroke with the arm and hand pointing down but the racquet head pointing up along the arm. By flicking the hand, you can get the racquet swing 360' very very fast. It's amazingly powerful given the lack of arm movement, and great for deception because they have no idea where you're aiming. (The bad side is that I have no idea where i'm aiming most of the time either, as it's not very consistent.)

Actually come to think of it i've never seen this stroke used by anybody except ONE person I know. (I learnt it by watching him :)) I think I'll create a new thread for this since I never hear it get mentioned.

I've tried bigger grips before and was very dissapointed in their performance. Big grips are very very comfortable to me, but absolutely useless for anything else imho. Maybe that's just because I use light racquets almost exclusively, and power is made by the speed, which is quite limited with a racquet with a big grip. If I used a Ti-10 or something perhaps i'd be more willing to use g2 or the like. There's lots of good players in my club who do use big grips, so i'm sure it's not that bad. I just prefer smaller grips. Not too small though. I think g5 would be too small for me without overgrip.

15. fwvagabond

fwvagabond Regular Member

Programmer
    Size of grip

One of the guys I play badminton with said the larger the grip of the racquet (including overgrip), the less you can "snap" your wrist when smashing. Given the size of one's hand, is this generally the case?

16. ptang777

ptang777 Regular Member

Re: Size of grip

I think larger grips does make it harder to snap your wrist. I don't really remember why but I play golf and the same is true: the smaller the grip, the more hand/wrist rotation through impact causing more of a draw; the larger the grip, the less hand/wrist rotation causing more of a fade.

But I think just find a grip that fits nicely and comfortably in your hand (especially when smashing) is best and not worry too much on how easy it is to snap your wrist.

17. Cruxradio

Cruxradio Regular Member

Guess they never recovered from jet-lag
    My hand and wrist are more relaxed when I use a large grip, feels like I don't need to holdon as hard. This results in more snap. This is my personal observation, it may or may not apply to you.

In golf if you changed to a Jumbo/"seniors" grip do you really believe you would lose a significant amount of power/distance? Why would it be any different in badminton

18. fwvagabond

fwvagabond Regular Member

Programmer
    Cruxradio,

actually my experiece is close to yours. Recently I changed my racquet to the one I've always used (which I tore off the original grip and put on a cushioned tennis grip. This made it much thicker) to the "backup" one, which has a G2 grip. The much thinner grip made me quite uncomfortable, as I felt I needed to attempt to hold it tighter. So I put a layer of overgrip on it and it felt much better now.

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I'm Outdated.. G4 , 5 stock grip. Some i remove the original grip. And put on a thin masking tape and then towel grip on it

20. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I'm now G4 with one grap, a layer of tape and a layer of towel grip.

I used to be G4, two karakal cushy grips and one wilson cusion air

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.