Grip size. What's yours?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Cheung, May 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May

May Guest

Re: "Optimal" grip

u knw, maybe there isn't really a difference.

2. Iwan

Iwan Guest

Keep grips thin or thick?

I just noticed that fingers also play an important part in badminton, in terms of quick change to backhand to forehand grip and vice versa. So, I was wondering which grip, thin or thick, would help to quicken this change.

3. Valentino

Valentino Guest

Re: Keep grips thin or thick?

to me, somewhat thinner is better, cuz with thick grip u can move your fingers not as fast as if u had a smaller grip. but thats for me. u shouldnt get a too thin grip though

4. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

I tend to like thicker grips.... but i play more singles so change of grip is not as important as say in doubles as you have more time to play the shot, but i also have biggish hands so find too thin a grip also makes it awkward to change grips.

Shaz

5. Creative

Creative Guest

Thinner grips for quicker wrist shots.

6. angelus_2012

angelus_2012 Regular Member

a larger or a thinner grip?

is larger grip better than a smaller grip? some people said that larger grip achieve much power than a thinner grip. some people said larger grip achieve more control.
    and some people said otherwise. can you please tell me the truth?

is towel grip such as Wilson's better than a PU/Rubber grip?
    or please suggest the best grip product that gives you comfort plus performance. Thx

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
  8. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

i would also think the size of the hand will determine what size of grip you'd want to use....

9. Ian G.

Ian G. Regular Member

I like a moderately sized grip. Not too fat yet not too thin! ehehe. :) I use Gooseflites towel grips. Its pretty cheap so I can change it once a week!

10. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Wow. Think I'll have to look for it. I use a medium grip. lol.

11. Dark_ryu

Dark_ryu Regular Member

fat Grips!

need help....is it good to have fat grips or thin grips..what would u prefer???:confused: :confused:

12. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

For Doubles:
    I prefer thin grip size.
    Preferably rackets with G4 size grip. I'll remove the original grip and wrap a towel grip directly on the handle to halfway up the shaft (just like Sigit). :D
    Thinner grip size allows me to change grip and move the racket around faster.

For Singles:
    Slightly thicker grip size.
    Prefer G3 grip size.
    Again I'll remove the original grip and wrap a towel grip directly on the handle.
    But this time I'll just wrap up to the cone (just like Taufik). :p
    Thicker grip size (somehow) allows me to hit with more power.

13. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    Grip size is all about preference. There is no "better" grip size to use because it depends on the type of feel that you want with your racquet. Some players prefer thinner grips because they say it gives them more maneuverability with the racquet. Some players prefer thicker grips because they say it gives them more power. Both are completely debatable.

Personally, I prefer a large grip (two replacement grips and an overgrip) because I do not feel like I will lose the racquet from my hand. :)

If you don't feel like throwing out cash to just try out different grip sizes, try to borrow a friend's racquet or if you'd like, contact me at info@pointfore.ca and I will send you a few grip samples from Pointfore Canada.

14. fai

fai Regular Member

How do you grip your racket??

Hi all, Thanks for reading this post....
    I have a question on griping my racket.... I heard people saying that "a bigger (in size) grip gives you more power", does it really provide you more power?
    For me personally, I am using Yonex Muscle Power 100 2U G5 verson, I took off the original grip and replace it with Yonex Super Grap. I can get more feel and control, but not power, by gripping the racket this way.
    Does any of you know the best way to grip the racket, that can give you the most power?
    How do you think I should grip the racket?

Thanks

#57 fai, Apr 24, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2003
  15. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    i think it would be wise to do a search, but this is fairly basic so you won't find a huge amount of threads.

hmm, u pulled off the original and put on a super grap? u're not supposed to replace the original with a supergrap. the super grap is used to go over the original. if u wanted to replace the original, u would get a REPLACEMENT grip. as for the size issue, it is all personal preference. some people like a thin handle some a large one. i believe G5 is the smallest, correct me if i'm wrong.. it totally depends on you. you should try different grips to try and find your perfect size, and compensate on your racquet by adding more grip layers.

cheers

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    This kinda questions been brought up before. Maybe u can also search some other threads for more answers. However, maybe it's kinda hard to find those old threads, since i could not figure out a proper suitable keyword.

Anyway, according to my experience (usage, and heard from others). Seems a lot of ppl think, thick (big) grip can gain more feeling = control, and thin (small) grip will be better for power. On the other hand, I also remember ppl think (and tested) thin grips will help both in control and power.

I think, it's mroe due to a personal preference and many other factors (material, way of hold racket, style of playing, etc). As long as the grip size is in a reasonable range for ur hand size, maybe a little bit experiment (only original grip vs 1 layer extra overgrip, vs 2 layers, etc) can really help u to figure out the answer.

17. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

In my experience thicker grips are more dampening and hence less feel?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.