Grip size. What's yours?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Cheung, May 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    g3.. :( i guess forza makes thick handles cause europeans have bigger hands
    i have small hands too, but i got a piontfore PU grip on there

2. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    G4 or G5 with HEAD Pro Grip (like Yonex Super Grap except more traction).

4. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    hi ppl,

this topic reminds me of a weird guy who got a brand new G4.5 Yonex racket. The first thing he did to his racket was not 2 get it strung but get rid of the leather grip and modify the wooden "core" within. I think this guy is used to the pinky method because he tried to make this poor wooden core into a sorta "apple core" shape (ie: the middle part is thinner comparing to the top n bottom)

I cant afford 2 try that myself but I suppose it works coz dat crazy person is an old man (like in his 70s and still smash hella fast!)

5. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I believe that my Forza is a G4 (I took off the sticker).

I use a single base layer grip (Some old Prince 'Microzorb') and over it, I use Karakal Kushy Grip which is a very thick, spongey grip since it's a replacement grip. I recently went back to my thick roots. Before, I had only 2 layers of that Prince Microzorb which is a tennis overgrip but it can also be used for badminton or squash. Whenever I have a thick grip, it seems like I added some power in my smashes. Maybe because it's dampening out the vibrations? But anyways, with a knob at the bottom, my hands feels very relaxed and when I smash, I sort of let go of the racquet and I hold it at the very bottom so it does feel good!

I can stand thick grips but I definitely can't stand ultra thin grips. I don't know how you guys manage to play with only one overgrip over your stock grip.

I tend to go back and fourth with grip however, the Karakal ones are very durable so it won't be awhile before I switch grips.

6. carbonex21

carbonex21 Regular Member

Since it's hard to get the rackets I like any in G3, I use a G4, take the original grip off, then add a plastic grip enlarger called 'Tubex' then put a karakal pu super grip on top. The resulting grip is probably smaller than necessary for my optimum power but the feeling is enhanced. When the grip is large there seems to be more leverage which is good for power but the fingers are unable to make minute adjustments necessary for a variety of shots. If you're a player who rarely make adjustments then I guess a larger grip would be an advantage in terms of power.

7. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    g4, with a layer of scotch tape (supposedly to protect the wood from moisture) and yonex titanium engergy transfer technology ti1000 overgrip. just gave it a try recently, used to go with yonex's duraguard overgrips. These overgrips were really durable, took quite a while to wear em out, and they dont smell bad.

8. ptang777

ptang777 Regular Member

What I said was larger grip promotes more of a fade and smaller grip promotes more of a draw in golf; it has nothing to do with power. My next comment was to just find a grip size in badminton that feels comfortable (especially in smashing). What I meant was what feels comfortable while smashing; nothing to do with power. I just noticed that my hands hurt after smashing with a grip that is too large probably because I have to grip harder.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thanks for all the replies:)

I would like to take this thread a little further in a new thread.

This is why:

saying G4..etc is diffiuclt to get any meaning out of the data many people. Especially, when using G doesn't conform to an agreed standard.

So I propose using a little objectivity.

I would like to actually have the measurements of the following:

1) circumference (in cm) of the handle at a point 8cm from the very end of the racquet.

2) the distance (in cm) of your racquet hand from the tip of the 2nd finger (ie. thumb, 1st finger, then 2nd finger) to the 1st crease of the wrist. (this crease will the one closest to the hand)

3) the length of your 2nd finger of the racquet hand from the tip of the finger to the crease it makes with your hand.

please refer to this thread for further information..:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.