Golden Gate Badminton Club, Menlo Park, CA

Discussion in 'Golden Gate Badminton Club ( GGBC ) (CLOSED)' started by mayst982, Mar 25, 2005.

1. B3nny H4nn4

B3nny H4nn4 Regular Member

lala

can't wait til their first tournament!

2. harrycoomer

harrycoomer Regular Member

I wish all badminton gyms had:

Great queing systems
    Water fountains
    Waiting areas
    Responsiveness to customers

like UBC. I was really impressed when they changed their lights. But I guess these are the things that will differentiate the gyms.

3. jen1088

jen1088 Regular Member

Timer

That idea crossed my mind too:)

How about something like a giant score board. Instead of keeping score, it keeps track of the time for each court. Everybody will be able to see it and know which court is going to be available. It will be nice if there is some kind of sound/light signal.

4. julie

julie Regular Member

What about starting games on all courts at the same time, and end all
    games at the same time?

E.g. using a simple large wall-mount clock, all games start/end every
    15 minutes (or 20, or some convenient divisible by 60). This is simple
    and effective.

Players can use their time to do however long a warm up they want.
    Or they can start their games right away.

5. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I think this would be the simpliest and most efficient way. Some pople don't like to play games, and just want to practice. Some games are short and some are long. But everyone will get the same amount of time.

6. jen1088

jen1088 Regular Member

Timer

I don’t think it will work for various reasons. For example, what if people are playing a game? You’re going to stop them when the time is up (you’ll get a lot mad faces:mad: ). This will call for a side for game and a side for warming up. As far as starting games on all courts at the same time-- What if only one team (2 players) or two teams (4 players) is waiting. The time is up with several courts—which court is willing to leave?

7. julie

julie Regular Member

Given these're not tournament games, is it important to finish a game?
    A reasonably long enough change-over time can be used (based on average
    time to finish 1 game, or maybe 2).

In addition to previously mentioned advantage, you also won't run into the
    case when you wonder why people in some courts seem to take forever to
    finish their games, or how long have they spent warming up etc. Beginners,
    e.g. who tend to hit the bird up a lot, will typically have lots of service change-over, and take a long time to get one point. So you go figure how
    long it'd take to free up their courts. Is it fair for the rest to wait?

Regarding your last scenario, it'd be up to the 2 (or 4) players to pick any
    court out of the 8 available ones. They've priority. The court that gets
    picked will have to end the game. The rest plays on.

Just my 2 cents.

8. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Regular Member

Kwun,
    Can you please contact me at my email address? Thanks.
    Ben

9. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

The Queing game

Thank you for everyones suggestions and we will surely take them into consideration but something of a miracle happened today!:eek: . For the first time since we have opened I didn't police the queing system cos I went to play for a few hours at the challenge court so even I didn't line up for the que. (If you play at the challenge court there is a board for challengers so you don't line up at the que rack if you play at the challenge court). The whole time I was so worried about the queing rack so I kept glancing at the rack during the games. Much to my relief the rack manned itself! Everyone just honored it and there were alot of new faces as well as a full line up on the rack. The regulars just informed the new faces and it was pure bliss. There are pros and cons to this que system, but today I just thought of how great people can be and I really thank them for being so kind as to follow the rules and understand the system so everyone can be happy playing! We will still try to implement some better alternatives to assess the 15 minute rallying but for games, personally, I think it's better not to put a time on a game. Just one game is fair as long as people will honor the ONE game. Anyways, it was just wonderful to see it run itself smoothly. Everyone was tickled!

Sally

10. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Nice to know that things are settling into a rhythm at GGBC. I think it's stressful to try and keep an eye on things and concentrate on badminton at the same time. Keep up the good work! :D

-dave

11. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Regular Member

I would like to thank all those who participated in our Elite Team trials today. I would also like to congratulate the ones who qualified for the teams. I am very proud of our new teams and look forward to all the great training coming up in the near future.
    We have a great foundation of players on our Elite Team, Training Team and Junior Team so far. (remember all you players on the teams, picture day for the teams will be the day of the first practice) I will also be incorporating a High School training team. For those of you interested, contact me at ben@ggbadminton.com. I will keep you posted on that team.
    Again, congratulations to all the players and get ready for a fun and challenging year.
    Ben

12. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

I need at least 8 eyes, arms and legs.. I saw an excerpt from Smash City say they are constantly re-amazed at the detail involved and they couldn't have said it better. Oh GOODness me. This is my first venture into any business and to get into a membership business is just UNbelieveable. :confused: Ha ha.. I can tell you even working 72 hours straight with no sleep shooting a movie isn't as tiring. My concerts are piece of cake compared to running a Club. I really give credit to all the administrators of the Clubs opened now cos there is more work than a small army can handle. But at the end of the day they are all doing this for the sake of giving the Ultimate badminton experience to EVERYone and doesn't that just put a BIG TOOTHY SMILE on ALL our faces!! :D:D:D Sigh............:eek:

Sally:p

13. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

Hi Sally,

Talking about movies ... have you thought about making a movie called "KongFu
    Badminton" with Jackey Chen and Jet Li in it? Maybe that'd give badminton some
    good publicity in north America.

:)

newplayer

14. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

I've put a bit more thought on this movie idea :p , we can have Jackey Chen and
    Jet Li as 2 rival badminton super heros competing for the love of their dream
    girl --- you -- the thrid badminton super hero!! The "bad guys" ;) in the movie can be
    some good looking Danish/European professional players (guest starting Peter
    Gade? ) to make the movie more acceptable in western cinemas. The majority
    of the movie can be shot in your badminton club - GGBC!!

Or you can laugh at my feeble ideas ... :eek:

newplayer

#174 newplayer, Jun 29, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  15. jen1088

jen1088 Regular Member

It seems like you’re enjoying this new venture! Your active participation in answering questions on this forum to monitoring courts and the players shows your dedication to badminton and to the club. This is a new learning experience but you’ll learn in a matter of time as long as you’re committed. Later!

16. Chrispywu

Chrispywu Regular Member

Wow.. i didnt play at all for a whole week because i was in Oregon!!
    I need to play!!! But I have to go to Tijuana, Mexico tomorrow-- I'll play at GGBC once i get back!! for sure ^_^
    -chrispyyyy

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    holiday hours?

what are the opening hours for the holiday weekend?

18. dummyvariable

dummyvariable Regular Member

student during the day, badminton pro wannabe by n
    veryyy impressed

i came back from the GGBC 2 hours ago, and lemme tell you, you all gotta have the chance to try playing there! (although, it was pretty stuffy in there :( ) the floors and facilities are great....i've never played on hardwood before, but it felt really great playing on the floor today and i can't wait to go back there. *phew* two thumbs up!

19. GGrebecca

GGrebecca Regular Member

Friday, Saturday, Sunday: 10am to 11pm
    Monday July 4th holiday: closed

Do come by to enjoy a competitive or a relaxing game of badminton - take your pick.

20. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Hey Crispy, I've been wondering where you've been!! By the way, you need to reprimand Kyrk cos he's not showing up for the summercamp cos he's joining the training for the Elite team now! He's been looking for you too. I'll have to give him a good whacking on the butt when I see him. You gotta try out for the Elite team too. Can't wait to see you when you get back! Bet you miss us dontcha????:D

Sally