Glasses vs Contact Lenses

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by May, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Contact Lenses:

1. Do you suffer from dry eyes problem? No, I suffer dry eyes while I play. However I'm the person who puts on contacts only to play but otherwise I wear eyeglasses most of the time. If you wore contacts the whole day before playing, then maybe you would run into the problem.
    2. Are there disadvantage/limitation when wearing contact lenses to play? People have said that having sweat drip into your eyes is painful with contacts on. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be, or maybe it's just me. Contacts will never fall out unless you do something like rub your eyes like crazy. As for sweat, I constantly am wiping with sweat bands/towel so I don't get sweat in my eyes.
    3. Does your contact lenses fall out or you not sure they are still in your eyes?Answered in previous question
    4. What are the pros for contact lenses over glasses? Biggest one is not having sweat drip into your glasses. Once that happens, you can't wipe it up with a shirt because your shirt is sweaty too. In the end it's just not fun playing with glasses when you're trying to be intense. If you're just hitting and fooling around or playing casually, there's no problem with it then. Also if your glasses come off onto the ground, there's a chance you or someone will step on it and break your glasses, which is $100+ down the drain.
    5. Can you see the birdy coming straight down? I can see it perfectly. In fact you might be able to see better because you have good peripheral vision compared to glasses
    6. Do you have special contact lenses for badminton? Nope, just the usual soft ones I would for everyday where.
    7. What problem you have encountered when using contact lenses and how you resolve? In the rare case you somehow lose your contact in your eye, usually in your eye lid, that would be it. However I haven't had it personally happen to me.

2. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    sorry for double post. I realized I made a mistake in #1. I DON'T suffer dry eyes while I play.

3. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Contact Lenses:
    1. Do you suffer from dry eyes problem?
    No, not unless I wear my contacts for more than 1 day.

2. Are there disadvantage/limitation when wearing contact lenses to play?

If you don't them insert them properly, or keep on rubbing on them constantly then it will affect your play dramatically.

3. Does your contact lenses fall out or you not sure they are still in your eyes?

I have never had a situation where they have fallen out while playing a match, but there was a point where the contact lens was on the side of my eye and had to re-adjust in the washroom (I believe it was to that point where I had to change to a fresh pair of contact lenses the next day since it was VERY dry)

4. What are the pros for contact lenses over glasses?

Basically freedom & not worrying about your glasses being clashed by your own racket or your partner's. Also not worrying about the shuttle shattering your glasses :p Plus you don't have to worry about wiping your glasses if you sweat alot.

5. Can you see the birdy coming straight down?

Yes, but also depends on the lighting of the gym. If the lighting gets in the way, then it affects my shot.

6. Do you have special contact lenses for badminton?

No, all contact lenses are the same. Not unless they have super powers & they show where it's going to land :D Someone call me up when this happens :p

7. What problem you have encountered when using contact lenses and how you resolve?

Usually change them with a fresh pair of monthly contact lenses. Problem solved easy. Just remember with contact lenses to take them out when not playing anymore & daily care (as in contact solution in the case when not in use & and not rubbing your eyes) and you should be good to go :)

4. devaaaa

devaaaa Regular Member

I once hit myself into the face with the racket while playing with a shuttlecock alone. One glass broke. But thats due to tremendous clumsiness and it probably wouldnt happen to you.

At another time a club mate killed the birdie in a game of doubles and I happened to be right there to catch it with my glasses. One glass broke and I had a small fragment of glass in my eye. Luckily it was too small to cut me, so I was able to just wash it out.

Other than the danger of damage to your glasses there might be a disadvantage with peripheral vision, also depending on how wide the frame of your glasses and how bad your eyes are. I find playing with glasses generally more uncomfortable, so I prefer contact lenses.

Lenses sometimes make the eyes feel a little dry or some part of your vision looks brighter, but thats solved by blinking usually.

5. abelbenjamin820

abelbenjamin820 New Member

Teacher
    [h=2]UV protection, scratch resistance, hydrophobic and anti-reflective coatings on all prescription lenses is needed[/h]

Basic Prescription lenses are free on all Spectales, our stylish super thin lense..

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I wear glasses. A friend of mine, who normally wear glasses, says that wearing contact lenses whilst playing badminton is far better than wearing glasses.

have anyone tried it? do u find wearing contact lenses far better?

7. yeeah

yeeah Regular Member

Whatever you're used to I guess. Contact lenses would have the advantage of not shifting during play or fogging up if conditions are not ideal. Contact lenses give you a more consistent peripheral vision as you don't have to contend with the edges of your glasses. Glasses give a some protection against a birdie to the eye, but how often does that happen? I prefered contact lenses. Do it right and get laser eye surgery :D

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you have significant astigmatism, contact lenses cannot compensate as well as glasses can.

If you wear glasses, perspiration becomes a problem especially in the tropics without air conditioning.

9. maxout

maxout Regular Member

BTW, Lin Dan wears contacts when playing .... ;) I saw a recent social photo of him and XXF at a function, and he was wearing his glasses (not sun-glasses - normal glasses) ... so if he is myopic or astig, he must be wearing contacts when playing ...

10. Acumen

Acumen Regular Member

Initially i wore contact lens but i have astigmatism, quite frequent unable to see birdie especially cross court play from opponent and birdie fly to left or right base line when I look direct to the light.

Then i ordered contact lens with power +
    astigmatism, but very thick and uncomfortable to wear. Drop off sometime during play.

End up, wearing glasses now and has to get used to the fogging and always need to adjust the position of my glasses due to sweating on my face.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Multiple threads on same topic merged.