Glasses vs Contact Lenses

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by May, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

....although I don't believe players should worry about eye protection. A bit of common sense on court should keep your eyes safe.

Of course, if you are worried, get some protection :)

2. morewood

morewood Regular Member

I would say so, 10 years on and I am still able to see without optical aid, although my vision in the left eye is gradually deteriorating but far less than when I was wearing glasses/contact lenses. Money well spent (especially now its a 1/4 of the price it was 10 years ago) as I used to have galsses for ordinary wear (replace every other year), contacts (replaced every year) for sport use and an optical diving mask (only had one made up) for scuba diving.

3. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Most glasses lenses are made out of polycarbonates (for lightness, cost savings and for safety reasons) and therefore dont generally shatter even when struck really hard.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Really?

Well, if you say so. It's not a subject I'm knowledgable about.

But if I were to wear glasses for badminton, I'd want to make damn sure they wouldn't shatter. I wouldn't just assume that it will be okay. I know of people who've had eye injuries from shattered glasses.

5. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    wish I can get my vision back, if only i could turn back time...
    i regret being a computer games geek

6. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i use spectacles. bottom of the lens chipped by my racket while defending from a drive to my face. but my specs have saved me once when i was still a beginner......i might've become blind already if it wasn't for it lol

7. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Actually no, some lenses are made out of pollycarb others are made out of glass, orthers out of alternative plastic. If your playing sport and wearing glasses folks choose polycarb lenses as they dont usually shatter. OK they may cost you a few $ extra but its money well spent as there lighter too.

8. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

My specs saved me a number of occassions. A few times from fast smashes. Once, from being wacked by a racket. The contact with with the racket made me flinch and save both my specs and eyes.

Other people have not been so fortunate. A contact lense wearer was shot in the eye and had to go to hospital. A woman was shot in the eye and cried. Another guy got wacked by his partner's racket. It looked horrible, but he didn't go to the hospital.

9. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
    Must be glass. Plastic do not shatter. Be sure. It can be cracked although but with no small particles. I once tried to shtter my old glasses (moved to stronger lences) with a hammer and the power I needed to crack them could easily shatter the scull as well. 8) Never after that I was worried about wearing plastic glasses during play... :D

10. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    a racket to your specs could be.......more deadly lol

11. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

There was this Oakley ad some time back that showed their blade lenses staying intact after being shot by a shotgun. So we tried the same thing at the gun range with an old pair of scratched up blade lenses and #8 birdshot at 15 yards. The lenses where cracked up where the pellets got imbedded in the lens, but no pellets got thru and the lenses stayed intact. This is one reason Oakleys are very popular in the shooting sports.

12. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

Player with Short Sight

what will do if a player have the short sight??? they wear contact lens?? or just doing laser operation to make it become normal sight??

myself have short sight and i need to wear spec during games....and i found it's very trouble...does contact lens help in this matter?

13. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

it should. some of my friends actually used contacts after their first season started, for ease, because their glasses would shatter if they fell too many times.

my glasses never fall:cool: :D

#153 jymbalaya, Oct 8, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

i believe the owner of this forum, kwun..
    wears glasses when playing baddy too.;)

15. chongkiatz

won't the contact lens drop out easier??? since we need to jump smash, need to run around the court...

16. Resistor

Resistor Regular Member

I have seen a lady lost her contacts on the court while playing. So I say there is a chance that the contact will fall out.

17. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

I use contacts and have never lost one. They are superior for me compared to glasses as each eye have different prescriptions. With glasses I tend to mishit more and my peripheral vision isn't as good as when using contact lenses.
    The only downside to contacts is that sometimes they are not 100% comfortable depending if my eyes are tired or a bit dry from work during the day.

18. chongkiatz

oh...thx anyway for the infor....never use contact lens...just scare will drop out and may cause alot of bad problem there...

19. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    I may sound like a salesperson.

Lindberg Spirit Titanium rimless with high-index thin lenses. So light and comfortable they are barely noticeable. Makes me feel invincible to high speed shuttles at the net.

20. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I wear contacts. Sometimes when you forget to blink my eyes become extremely red. Wearing the for 12+ hours is hard on your eyes too. Other than that, it is the best alternative to glasses.