Copenhagen Masters 2006

Discussion in '2006 Tournaments' started by yannie, Nov 6, 2006.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

On the contrary, AG/Joko nearly beat Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen in the first round of the Denmark Open :cool: Technically speaking, AG/Joko are PBSI's third pair right now and Ko Herry IP himself had mentioned to me that this pair will see a lot of actions in the coming year. PBSI needs to do so because of Sudirman Cup and of course the Thomas Cup and Olympics 2008.

So, AG/Joko are NOT punching bags. They just lack the experience of playing and beating the top pairs.

Oh...Rian/Eng Hian and Tony/Candra are not even in Pelatnas right now.

2. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    What was just mentioned are not new news for me... Yes, I know Joko-AG fought 3 games against Lars-Jonas and that they reached the finals of Bitburger Open. They are not a hopeless pair. Don't get me wrong. :)

I also know that Rian-Eng Hian are more highly ranked than Joko-AG and that they beat them quite decisively in the lopsided Dutch Open finals. :D And Tony-Chandra can surely take care of Joko-AG, if the situation presents itself. Thus even though they are surely Pelatnas' #3 pair right now, they are the de-facto number 4 or number 5 team of Indonesia...:)

If Copenhagen organizers do not want punching bags, then they could insist on inviting the other FOUR pairs [of Indonesian descent] that are better than Joko-AG. :p As of now, I stay uncorrected. :cool: The organizers just want to look for a relatively easy prey for Jens-Martin!

Joko-AG can prove the organizers wrong in a few weeks... [and I hope they do!]... by beating Jens-Martin and the English pair... If so, then Indonesian Men's Doubles are really strong in 2007...

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I think PBSI gets to say who they want to send. Each country being invited is probably alloted a slot in MS and MD. In a way, PBSI do not want the top 2 pairs to be exhausted after just coming back from the Asian Games. They have the first Super Series in Malaysian coming up in mid January to aim for. Therefore, PBSI sends AG/Joko who will not compete in any event whatsoever during December.

Similary, for MS, Simon definitely can use the two matches in his group to prove himself that he's already to take on the best.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm, i'm on the same boat..

..my thinking as well..;) The last couple of yrs, for MD event, if i'm not mistaken PBSI had sent at *most* their 3rd tier pair-ie. 2004-Eng Hian/Flandy, 2005-Flandy/Alvent(scratch pair)..
    Also, re how the CM's organizer decide on who to/not to invite, i don't know what is/are their criteria(s), but personally i don't think they "intently" look for "easy meat" or "punching bags"...My feeling is the event is presented more for the enjoyment of the Danish badminton fans than anything else..Who knows, maybe a Tony G. sighting is on the menu?!?!..:rolleyes:;):cool:

#44 ctjcad, Nov 29, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i just hope that someone records the matches for us. the quality of the vids for the 2005 edition was outstanding, and even though i didn't understand the commentary (it was in danish, and by jonas no less!), i really enjoyed watching all the games. would be great if TG/CW were invited as well, i know they'll give everyone a run for their money ...

6. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management

Yes, if PBSI gets to say whom they want to send, then this makes a lot of sense... Good for Joko-AG and Simon... We need all the firepower we can have in order to compete strongly in the 2008 Thomas Cup... [in Jakarta]... :) Whatever the result, we shall put up a good fight!

7. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Not sure BAM will send LCW as he has stress fracture on foot reported ... I hope at least China stick to its promise sending Lin Dan, will be nice to replace LCW with Lee Hyun Il but unlikely to happen. I think BAM will send either Wong Choon Hann or Kuan Beng Hong to replace LCW.
    Yannie, any insdie info about this?

8. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    Obviously not likely :eek: Lee Hyun Il is a Korean. Faint.

9. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Really? No info about it yet, but I will try to dig from my sources although I still think they will send LCW. Hmm, will be interesting if KBH comes.. KBH vs Simon ;) I don't think it's WCH again, the Danish audience needs to see some new faces.

10. Morten

Morten Regular Member

Then Lee huyin ill needs to play better than last time he entered Copenhagen Masters:) . He was clearly unmotivated even if he was rank 5 that year (2003). Gade wiped the floor with him and won 15-0 15-3, very big dissapointment for the danish crowd.

To answer the question who they invite, they try to inv the best players from each country to get the most exciting matches and the most quality. But some countries decide to send 2nd ranked players since this tournament has no world ranking points and is placed at a time where lots of players are preparing for bigger tournaments. So its not the hosts fault that you will se the worlds number 1 against number 26, however I cant remember when the matches in Copenhagen Masters havent been exciting, except that one with Lee hying ill. WCH once told in an interwiev that he enjoyed the tournament a lot since it had a friendly and relaxed atmospheres. I see this tournament as a tournament where players can actually "enjoy" playing badminton without no pressure and without thinking on money, ranking points and etc.

11. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Of course BAM can't send Lee Hyun Il, I know he's Korean but the organiser certainly can invite Lee Hyun Il to replace LCW, that was what I meant.

12. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    No doubt this event is one of the most entertaining and interesting especially with those fantastic cameras positions. I think if Lin Dan show up then is good enough for me and it would be nice to see Peter goes against Lin Dan under friendly atmosphere(will be the first time). Now that Lin dan and Taufik are in peace at each other, won't that be awesome to have Taufik, Lin Dan, Peter Gade and Lee Chong Wei, Kenneth and Simon? Wow, my dream casts.
    Han

13. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Faint!!!!!!!!!

Lee Chong Wei (injured) and Roslin will NOT come to Copenhagen Masters..

Malaysia will send Wong Choong Hann and Muhammad Hafiz Hashim instead.

14. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanks Yannie. Make no sense to send LCW if he's injured. Is Lin Dan coming? Still quite an attractive event regardless. No more suprise else I will be fainted too!

15. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Lin Dan, I think so, yes. Anyway, I am super happy that MAS sends WCH again!!! Hahaha! :D :D :D But wonder why they didn't send KBH instead of WCH or Hafiz as they took part of CPH Masters last year also.

Copenhagen Masters in 1½ week!!!!!!!!

16. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i was hoping they would send KKK/TBH as well. a repeat of the match in doha against FHF/CY would be very interesting indeed!!

17. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Angry at CBA, BAM and PBSI!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

China decides to send Chen Yu instead of Lin Dan, who's currently injured, and Xia Xuanze/Zhao Tingting instead of Zhang Jun/Gao Ling...

18. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

I was sure .. the dream was too good to be true .. i'm so disapointed ..
    I was so sure this will happen ... :(

19. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Tarek :( :mad: Let's make it a happy and memorable tournament anyway. ;)

20. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

well ! FHF and CY at least will be there ... and of course our dear yanyan ( plz don't tell me you won't come .. i'll faint ! O_O ! )