Cocktail talks for Msia Open Super Series

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2011' started by jimbo, Dec 21, 2010.

1. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/1/18/sports/7817032&sec=sports

Questions remain over whether supertstar will go all out

LIN Dan appeared a commanding figure when he turned up at the Putra Stadium for light training ahead of the Proton Malaysia Open, squashing fears that he may snub the opening leg of the BWF Super Series with a late withdrawal.

But now that the star attraction is here, another question remains over whether the three-time world champion will go all out in the tournament.

The Chinese superstar raised eyebrows in his previous two tournaments last month, conceding walkovers to compatriot Chen Long and Vietnamese Nguyen Tien Minh in the quarter-finals of the China and Hong Kong Opens respectively.

As a result, he failed to make the cut for the Super Series Masters Finals, which was held in Taipei in the first week of this month.

China coach Zhong Bo said that injury forced Lin Dan to concede the two walkovers.

It was unfortunate that he suffered a back injury. He has received proper treatment and he is certainly in better condition. But I suspect that he is not at his best yet,” he said.

Lin Dan has yet to win a Malaysia Open title. The closest he came to winning it was in the 2006 edition in Kuching.

He led Lee Chong Wei 20-13 in the rubber game of the final but allowed the Malaysian to snatch victory. The defeat for Lin Dan was a bitter pill to swallow and he left in a huff after the prize ceremony.

In the Malaysia Open this time, Lin Dan and Chong Wei are expected to meet in the semi-finals.

Top seed Chong Wei is in the same quarter as Tien Minh and Japan’s Sho Sasaki and Kazushi Yamada while Lin Dan is in the other quarter with Chen Long and two other Malaysians, Mohd Hafiz Hashim and Wong Choong Hann.

The other half of the draw has second seeded Indonesian Taufik Hidayat, China’s Bao Chunlai and Chen Jin, South Korea’s Park Sung-hwan and Shon Wan-ho and another Indonesian, Simon Santoso.

On China’s full turnout in the men’s singles of the Malaysia Open, Zhong Bo said: “The players will be busy with the China League in February and March.

The tournaments in January are important to keep them on their toes.”

China also have a full cast for the women’s singles with Wang Xin, Lu Lan, Wang Yihan, Liu Xin, Jiang Yanjiao, Li Xuerui and Wang Shixian in the fray.

The Malaysia Open begins today with the qualifying tournament.

First round matches of the tournament proper will be played tomorrow.

2. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/1/18/sports/7818276&sec=sports

Stylish Mew Choo exudes new air of confidence

MALAYSIA’s top women’s singles shuttler Wong Mew Choo is looking more stylish. To top it, there is a new air of confidence around her.

And these are seen as good signs in her bid to haul herself back among the top 16 in the world rankings this year. She is now in 24th spot and the drop is mainly due to her inconsistent form caused by knee problems.

Mew Choo said that she was better prepared, physically and mentally, after going for treatment in November.

“I have taken stem cell injection treatment for my knees. For the last three weeks, I have gone through weight training. I am physically better prepared,” said Mew Choo, who has in the draw for the Malaysia Open an array of Chinese stars in her path.

The 28-year-old Mew Choo said that it was important to gain confidence in her game, especially when in the task to qualify for two major events – the world championships in August and the London Olympics next year.

“The Malaysia Open is a good platform to get my game going again. I want to be more consistent by reaching at least the quarter-finals in Super Series events this year,” she said.

“The Olympic qualifying period starts in May. And I have the next few months to become more stable.

“The world ranking is equally important to me. Without a good standing, I will always have to meet seeded players in the early rounds. A better draw comes with a top 16 ranking.”

On the tough task in the Malaysia Open, Mew Choo said: “I’m so used to meeting top Chinese players in the early rounds.

“China will always be a big challenge but now, we must also watch out for the players from Thailand. I am determined to be in the front pack once again.”

Mew Choo will play against Lu Lan of China in the first round tomorrow. If she advances, she can expect a match against top seed Wang Xin of China.Also in the same half of the draw are third seed Wang Yihan of China, Yip Pui Yin of Hong Kong and Thailand’s rising star Inthanon Ratchanok.

Mew Choo has the credentials of being the finalist of the Malaysia Open in 2007. In the same year, she also did well to upset Xie Xingfang of China to reach the quarter-finals of the world championships at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil and went on to win the China Open.

3. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

HSUAN YI Hsueh beat DAREN Liew (MAS): 21-17 18-21 22-20

Really lousy... still boleh?

4. badMania

badMania Regular Member

So-called elite back-up players' results:
    Chong Wei Feng - out
    Daren Liew - out
    Chan Kwong Beng - through to the next round of qualification but he will be up against Lee Hyun Il and I don't think he can beat the KOR player.

Veteran:
    Krishnan Yogendran - up against Anand Pawar after beating Hsieh Yu-Hsing. I think he has a good chance to qualify.

Players in Main Draw:
    Lee Chong Wei [1]
    Mohd Hafiz Hashim - faces Chen Long [3] tomorrow. Don't think he can progress.
    Wong Choong Hann - faces Lin Dan [5] tomorrow. Again, don't think he can progress, unless Lin Dan plays generously.

If Krishnan Yogendran does progress to the main draw, he will face Boonsak Ponsana [6].

It's very likely MAS is going to have only Lee Chong Wei as the representative in MS by end of tomorrow.

5. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Thanks... very good analysis indeed :) I guess it will be the same old story here again with only LCW left in the battle field against the Great Wall of China and rest of the world...

6. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I was impressed by Chou Tien Chen before but CKB beat him, not bad...
    Disappointed with Liew Daren, for sure I thought that Hsueh Hsuan Yi is a good and has potential after beating Taufik Hidayat but I think that Daren shouldn't lose to this player... especially since Goh Soon Huat has beaten Hsueh too.

7. undeadshot

I think I have a good idea of HHB's quality now... LOL

Mohd Lutfi Zaim ABDUL KHALID
    Vountus Indra MAWAN
    -
    Hanbin HE
    Tao JIAMING
    21-14 19-21 21-17

8. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Mohd Lutfi Zaim ABDUL KHALID / Vountus Indra MAWAN (MAS) beat Hanbin HE/Tao JIAMING (CHN): 21-14 19-21 21-17

I am veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy impressed by this win... can anyone pls tell me who is this MAS pair? age? ranking? junior/elite backup/senior?

9. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

HHB is a very good XD player... not sure about MD though :)

10. undeadshot

http://www.bam.org.my/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2090&itemid=111
    Vountus Indra Mawan is 22 at the end of this year. Never had any good results. Backup.

http://www.bam.org.my/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2082&itemid=111
    Lutfi is ALSO 22 at the end of this year. Backup too. Been paired up for a while.

11. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

So, you think they boleh....? really boleh ka....??

12. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

LOL too early to BOLEH judge them... I'll give my BOLEH verdict if they reach SF... boleh?

13. undeadshot

Smart, because most likely you don't need to judge them! :D

14. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Pak Chuu CHOW / Chieng Hun HONG (MAS) beat Zhao Jiang Terry YEO [4]/ Liu YI (Singapore): 21-17 21-11

Who are these MAS players? junior or elite backup? wow... beat No.4 seeded pair.... boleh?

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    HHE & TJM both are XD players. They probably stayed at the baseline when MAS pair played those net shot, hence the defeat.:D

16. undeadshot

Independent, if I am not mistaken.

17. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Their opponent for the evening session, lufti and his partner had warm up for around 5 minutes and waiting for CPC and chieng but they didnt show up.. so walkover..

18. george@chongwei

Some cocktail talk here.. chow mei kuan if i remember correctly her name, got scold by 1 of the uncle there because keep laughing while playing and not being serious enough:D.. LOL so funny when that uncle scold using chinese words:p...anyway, she ignored him i think and keep smiling till the end of the match..

19. george@chongwei

The stadium's lighting is very bright as usual...so when u watch LIVE badminton in front of your own eyes, u will get the excitement ;)

20. george@chongwei

in the match between lhi and ckb of mas, ckb broke his 2nd racket string and decided to cut off using a scissors so that the racket frame won't bend, but to my surprise, the umpire Yau Li Na of Mas prohibited him from doing so.. i was like WTF... i was wanted to scold the umpire that time but i manage to control myself:D..

actually other pros like sony or lin dan did the same before too.. i didnt see they got prohibited by the match umpire..hmmm