Cheaters & Their Tactics

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Break-My-String, Mar 12, 2004.

1. RealMad

RealMad Regular Member

Well if you were so far ahead of him in skill that he couldn't score on you and had to keep your score pegged to keep you from winning, you shouldn't let it bother you.

He was probably really frustrated at playing against someone so much higher than his own level.

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

i ahd a weird case on a tournament.
    pre-round, no challenge, no umpire.

mens double, we were clearly winning. i lobbed, thought it was in..he called 'out' i let him have it, never mind..

second point, he was clearly in, so i disputed. he yells "well, last time you called it you got it wrong as well (meaning the incident above), so now you must be wrong as well" and demanded it was out. did a re-serve. smashed him out.

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Huh?? If HE was clearly in, why would you dispute it? :confused:
    Also, wasn't your opponent the one that called it out the first time? Why was he saying YOU got the call wrong? Hmmm.. very confusing :confused: :confused:

4. sac_man

sac_man Regular Member

Engineer
    I run into this problem from time to time, onething always tick me off is that when playing doubles, an ( even) guy will stand in odd position calling the even number.( no common sense !!! )

If you are an even guy (first server ) and you stand in left side (odd position), the score would be odd number( score ) 1,3,5,7,9 etc....

To minimize potential conflict:
    1. Remember who is first server.
    2. Call out the scores.

hope this helps!

5. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    uh for doubles it doesnt matter if your even or odd you can serve odd from the even side or even from the odd side...it kinda doesnt exist in doubles. player on the right always servers 1st his partner (2nd serve) always serves on the other court (which ever his partner didnt server from) so say we started and the scores 2 all i get serve and then we win a point so i change to the other service court so now its 3-2 1st serve but we lose that my partner now has his serve but hes on the right (even side) but the score is still 3-2.

The most common form i have seen is just bad calls they will call it out when its in or when it touches the line there like out, at time it kills me to watch that happen im like that was in yet they just proceed with serving im like wtf!? oh well i let it go and pound the next shot right back at them. as for adding points i have seen this a few times usually i just overrule it and its fine as for other stuff one guy always serves illegal yet it hardly goes over the net so usually im like meh whatever.

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

yeah, imagine how i fellt. i'm sorry for phrasing it wrong.

1e point: i lobbed inside, he said it was out. little argument, i let him have his way.
    2e point: i lobbed at teh same spot, inside again, he said it was out. more argument, and he said:'the first time you were wrong as well, so now you must be wrong too' ..weird, weird boy..

7. ron scicluna

ron scicluna New Member

Anthony and myself play Ray and Dave every monday and they constantly call out all of our line calls.I've never known such bad losers in my life.Mind you the fact that we slaughter them most weeks makes them second rate players .The only consilation is that look of defeat on there face at the end of every game.Bring it on boys

8. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    Some forms of cheating I've seen:

1) Ppl sitting near our lines so that we'll be wary of hitting them when going for shots near the sidelines.

2) The shot that went in but they called it out 'cause they didn't see it clearly thingy.

3) Messing up the score so that they get extra points.

4) There was this game in league finals (JV) where we were playing this mixed team from an upper division, and it was TOUGH. We won the first 15-12, I think. Second game, though, I know it was the girl who served first on their side. Yet, when they had 14, it was the guy who was serving from their right (our left). They won that rally. I talked to their coach about it right after, but they said that it "doesn't matter." So what happened during the third rally was that we kicked their butts.:D

5) Serving above waist. To make it even more difficult at this particular open gym, the nets were low! Talk about having dangerous drive serves...I had to duck much lower than usual in case they drove it.

So far, haven't met a cheater that won an overall match by cheating. The only ones I've met that cheat have lost, and those that are better than me...don't need to cheat. :p

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Unless the ppl sitting there are ur opponent's friends, otherwise, I don't think that's cheating. But if a friend willing do put him/herself in such dangerous condition to help me to win, I don't mind to have such friends. :D

2. If ppl made a wrong call because s/he did not see it clearly (light, angle, etc), then, I don't think that's cheating, as it's very much un-intentional.

5. To counter attack the drive serves, drive it back. ;)

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Ohh very dangerous. I would definitely still go for the shot;) They are engaging in risky practices:D

11. Wurmer

Wurmer Regular Member

I think that when you play in a club you get to know the players and you know who's cheating. That's what happened in my club, there was player that really needeed to take care of his ego so it's important to him that he wins most of his game. Eventually, the word got around and one of the people responsible for the club warned him. He still does it but much less or at least it's a lot least obvious.

12. BlaZe

BlaZe Regular Member

There was a guy I played in a tournament who would shout and look at me like he's gonna kill me every time he would score a point. Although I felt I was better than him, he eventually won which left me with a huge frustration after the match ended. I am a rather reserved person on court, and his show did affect me. Especially when he would shout and behave like there is no doubt on line calls. This made me lose my focus and i played in a style i wasn't used to. I remember i offered him a lot of easy kills.

Actually it was the first time i met a guy like him (i mean so aggressive) and when i rethink of this match, the frustration is still there.. I had won the first game rather easily before i collapsed mentally. The guy didn't play better in the following games, but i became angry about both myself for losing focus and about him for being unsportsmanlike.

I don't think we're allowed to shout so much on a court are we?

Anyway, i guess those experiences help you improve your mental strength. BTW does anybody have any tricks to get one's focus back and improve the mental?

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    all cheaters i know are lousy players (but not vice versa tho:D)

14. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    There are couple top ranked Canadian players that are known to call bad lines.

15. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    1) Well, it provides for less than ideal playing conditions: What if you're in a rush and have to step slightly out of the court? Or perhaps dive for a desperate shot? You'd have to run them over.

2) Well, the thing is, if it's a close call, and they didn't see it go out, they just saw that the birdie ended up out, I don't think that they should be allowed to call it out. They don't have any proof that it ever hit the ground outside of the boundaries, they only see that it ended up out.

6) Problem is, these are reaaaaly low nets. Kinda hard. Still possible, but the problem is only aggravated by the ppl with illegally high serves. It's only a casual open gym, but it makes it more difficult to retain the court.

It's possible that I'd get hurt too...and they'd get pissed. So I think it'd be best to make a rule that they can't sit in-between courts...so little room as there is anyways.

I think so too. I try to avoid those characters if possible. No fun playing with them. I typically play with people that come with me or that I know.

I guess you have to train harder and improve. However, treat any game the same way. Don't just tense up because it's a big game or the opponent is tough/annoying/mean/aggressive/murderous, etc. or become belittling/insulting/disparaging/arrogant when playing ppl of a lower level or during a less important match.

Always be ready, never let the opponent affect you (unless they make you smile for some reason: Funny? Attractive? Inspiring?) negatively, pay attention to every game, show respect even if you're not playing hard, and try to keep loose and calm.

1) Be ready, because you never know what your opponent will do, whether they were hiding their skills before, become arrogant, trying to pull illegal stuff under your nose, etc.

2) Don't let your opponent negatively affect you, because if they're trying to do that, they obviously want you to be negatively affected. Try to keep positive, have some supportive friends, etc. If they cheat, take some deep breaths, start analyzing their weaknesses, play calmly (DON'T TAKE REVENGE), and beat them. Responding with serene grace may lead to their frustration, and you have thus reversed their strategy. If you can do that, I congratulate you most heartily.

3) Always pay attention: It shows respect, keeps you sharp, prevents your opponents from cheating, and this is the only way to analyze your opponents and perhaps your partner.

4) Respect the opponents. Class is key to winning. If you can triumph without having to cheat, become angry, victory will be even sweeter. ;)
    Furthermore, if they're weaker than you are, and it's just a casual match, you don't want your opponents to think that you are arrogant and condescending, it won't make anyone like you or respect you.

5) Keep loose and calm. This makes it more fun, and you'll be able to perform better, as you can now have a chance to breathe.:p

That was a long one, eh? (Not really, but if feels like it);):D:p:):eek::cool:

16. treilanin

treilanin Regular Member

Here are some common things that really frustrate me in my Badminton Club (we are a social club with a 5 colour ranking system): 1) Friends wanting to play together so they force their way up the ranks by harassing and verbally abusing our captain. So they can call themselves top players and refuse to play with us lesser players. The sad part is most of these so-called good players are actually quite bad. Not being able to clear, not understand standard doubles tactics and not able to move around the court at all. 2) The skipping the line system where there is a group of 5-6 people who only choose amongst themselves. So they always have one guy picking while the rest play and the person picking will skip 12-20 people on the board to get his buddies. So in a night they can play like 7-8 matches where most of us can only play 3-4. 3) Then there is the blatent, I am too slow to get to the bird so I will let it fly over my head.... and the call it out even though the bird is sitting in the court. This is while I am staring at the person who hit so there is absolutely no way for me to know if it is in or out.

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Isn't the ranking are based on their record, rather than pointing by the managers? :eek:

2. This is very easy to deal with. If a player is still playing on the court, his/her name should NOT be used in the waiting queue.

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I am not saying they should do it. All I refer is, if the ppl sitting around (spectators) not intentionally helping either side, you can't claim ur opponent is cheating. All you suppose to do, is to tell the spectators to move and keep a safe distance.

19. treilanin

treilanin Regular Member

Actually we use a captain who will raise players based on their performance so no ranking system for us. I honestly would rather have a ranking system so I know who is better and such. I was at the mid level and there were people who were definitely worse then me at the two levels above. The sad part is there are people who are so focused on their colour that they resorted to verbal harassing our captain and even accused him of being a racist. People like that really blow my mind.

What I am referring to is this :

We have this group Player 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. 1,2,3,4 are playing on court and 5 is waiting to pick.
    1,2,3,4 come off court and are placed back in the queue sometimes 15-20 names down the queue.
    5 has his turn to pick and skips 15-20 other names and selects 1,2,3 for a match.
    1,2,3,5 come of the court.
    4 has his turn to pick and skips 15-20 other names and selects 2,3,5 for a match.

Basically they are able to increase their game time by doing this. If you complain to them, then they basically scream at you and our executive can punish them if they don't see it themselves. Makes you get really frustrated... so much so I have suggested a "No ranking, No selecting system." No one has a colour and the next 4 play regardless of skill. It's a social club and there really is not attempt to improve people's play... so why does rank matter? I can play with lesser skilled people, have fun and coach them a bit to improve them. THese other players who constantly cause the problems are the ones who would hate this system the most :D

20. Glacyus

Glacyus Regular Member

Ok, I do consider this cheating, but found it frustrating enough to post. There is this one jolly Buddha-looking gentleman in his 40s that plays at my gym. He's the loud shouter/laugher that I know you've all experienced. Only difference is this guy takes it to a whole 'nother level, it's like he just finished doing speed before each game. Every shot he makes involves a weird gesturing of the body complete with leaning and loud footsteps, and a deafening shout or laugh. To top it off he laughs after 80% of points as if he just heard the best joke of his life. It's so bad that my game suffers even when playing on adjacent courts. Imagine winding up for a smash only to hear a booming, Luciferian laugh!