Cheaters & Their Tactics

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Break-My-String, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

CHEATERS! You hate them! But you've got to play them!

Lots of times during a competitve match or a tournament without judges, you encounter the cheaters!

Besides outright bad calls (ie/ calling OUT when the shuttle CLEARLY is IN), illegal flick or drive serves (ie/ head of the racquet is clearly above the hand or waist), what are some of the tactics you've noticed hard-core cheaters use?

1) When the shuttle is cleared deep & high and will land inches IN from the back line, the player will deliberately place/move one of his foot close to where the shuttle will land but in front of the shuttle blocking your view, and then calling the shot OUT!

2) There was a men's dbls team who always tried to get a "third serve" after losing the second serve in an intense/long rally thinking you might be tired or confused.

2. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Just plain adding points is a firm favourite

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    That is why you must use umpires in tournaments. Without an umpire or at least a third party to referee a match, disputes are bound to arise. In a hotly contested crucial point, our judgement can be less than neutral. If there is no umpire then there must be an element of trust; and if you feel you have been had time and again, then don't ever play with them again and tell them why.

4. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
    Well, you always have you own part of court to cheat in... ;) Let like cure like!

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Sometimes I team up with new partners and some of them do cheat in broad daylight! But I do over-rule their call and tell the opposition that the shot is in, unless I truly believe that it is out.
    There are also players who call good shots out in a tongue-in-the-cheek manner. If you dispute his call, he would say he was only joking; but if you do not challenge him, he gets away with it.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here is another type of cheaters.

on normal shared gyms. everybody takes turns to play, every turn everybody can play one game and then they get out and wait for their next turn.

there are these 4 guys in my local gym who reguarly cheats on their scores. they'd play a whole game, proceed to switch court and play second one, when asked, they'll say they are switch sides at 8. i asked them what score they are at. 12-10. then one side proceed to win 6 rallies in a roll, and then i asked them. 14-10. and then i went off played in another court, 10 mins later, they are still playing.

and once i thought everybody who plays badminton are supposed to be ladies and gentlemen. i guess there are always bad and rotten oranges in the basket.

7. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

yup

yup its true.. but.. sicne its only a social game lets just clsoe 1 eye and enjoy the game.. it can be bearble right?? ive seen illegal serves where the racket head is abve the head while serving.. steppin on line durin my club competition.. but sicne its not of a professional game ppl just clsoe 1 eye...

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I've seen some dodgy tactics in league games. This is probably the worst level of competition for cheating, because we're good enough to be very competitive but NOT good enough to have umpires/line judges.

One match I played in went to about 11-10 in the 3rd game. Our opponents then just added a point to their score, making it 11-11, which we politely contested. We had been calling score for the whole game, and they had not called score at all. They disagreed, so we had to let it go. We reached 14-14 and stayed there for 4 service rounds, before they won 15-14.

Another match player I know likes to invent obscure rules just to irritate his opponents, like "you can't warm up with clubnight players before a match". He used to be an excellent player, but his skills are decreasing and he seems at the same time to become more sneaky and miserable.

Other annoying habits include faulty drive serves, serving before I'm ready and "double motion" on service.

9. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    aye - league games are the worse - highly competitive, and nothing you can do to prevent it happening - apart from rely on mental strength and a tiny bit of belief in karma :eek:)

at the end of the day people who cheat are usually bad enough as it is and need to cheat to win - if you stay focused and play your game they will make mistakes

however - what really pisses me off is when people accuse me of cheating - i was playing the BUSA individuals and had got really psyched up for a hard aggressive mens doubles. In the middle of a rally after a played a slightly dodgy sling (which i might have called) on of the opposite pair simply caught the shuttle - assuming that it was a fault - only the net stopped me from going over their and throttling him - to top it all of his partner was a cheat as well - calling stuff that was miles in out.

in the end we were a better pair, but we lost our heads and made far too many mistakes.. the lesson here is to focus on what your doing and not your opponent.

Neil

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Good point coops, but not many sling shots are illegal;)

Can't remember who does so but some BFer carries a copy of the rule book with them (is it Cooler?). This would be quite useful in England.

11. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    i dont get it, how can people cheat during line calls? arent there anyone else watching? and normally here, small decent tourneys have at least 2 linesmen and an umpire to call the shots and keep score. a competitive game without an umpire and linesmen is bound to be overrun by cheating.

the biggest cheating problem is usually with illegal serves. either racket head was too high or contact point was too high. small tourneys dont usually have service judges and the umpires dont really know the rules on serving. its often left to the player.

12. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Well that's it exactly Quagmire, all league matches have no referee's or umpires at all, most tournaments do not have any until the final match.

More often than not it's not the cheating that wins the game in itself, it's making you loose your focus and eventually the game that bothers most people becasue they can't let the cheating go and still think about it after it occurs and carry it through the game and subsequent matches.

The problem with the serving is that many players don't know what is and what isn't illegal so they just carry their normal syle onto the court in competitions etc.

But Churches league, although good natured and the backbone of the UK badminton league structure is rife with people who are ignorant of the rules!

13. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Sometimes it isn't even the opponent that's cheating!

In the last tournament I played, one of the pool stage matches turned into a very close and long fight. I lost the first game, took second, and we switched sides at 8-7 in the third. I felt I was controlling the game at that point. Then a guy steps in as we change sides and starts coaching my opponent. It's illegal to receive coaching at this point, so I get more than a little annoyed, and finally I call out "hey -- you can't do that in the middle of a game, please leave the court NOW"... But too late. I lost the match, not because of any coaching given to my opponent, but because I was so annoyed I just couldn't get it off my mind -- I lost my concentration. In a close and tiring match like that it doesn't take much...

After the match, I asked the guy who had stepped in what he was thinking, and he just said "sorry, I didn't know it wasn't allowed". Fair enough, if it wasn't for the fact that this guy has a) played internationally and b) is a classified umpire. In other words, he knew exactly what he was doing -- cheating. :mad:

14. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

If you were changing ends between games, it would have been a legal time at which your opponent could receive advice. Maybe the coach mistook the change of ends for an end of game, rather than middle of game 3.

15. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    He was very much aware of the score.

16. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Ok

for interested parties, the relevant law is 16.5

except in the intervals provided in Laws 16.2 and 16.3, no player shall be permitted to receive advice during a match.

16.2 is the breaks between games
    16.3 is when the umpire or referee suspends play

17. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    As Dill mentioned, cheating in the Churches league is rife, but to an extent (I think) unintentional; according to the author(s) of the bumpf the unwilling Captain receives, an umpire should be appointed in these matches, but nobody bothers to appoint one.
    In every league match I have played I can recall at least ten bad line calls of the opposing teams, and countless others in games I have watched. The calls they make are so blatantly false - such as calling out shots that land and remain between the doubles and singles service line, and more often, tight serves which land not much more than a foot past the service line - that they must be subjectively convinced the shots were out.
    Another irritatingly frequent form of probably unintentional cheating is claiming an extra doubles serve or claiming that the opponents' service is over after the first serve is lost. This is invariably resolved by recalling at what point the service changed sides, but sometimes after a long rally won by the receiving team the second-server forgets which side he was serving on and then ensues an argument about the score.

Surprisingly, when I used to play in the Churches league in my early teens, one unwritten rule which would be always observed is that of mis-shots; whenever anyone hit the frame of his racquet, he would immediately call it a mis-shot and forfeit the rally, even if the shuttle went where the player intended.

#17 ynexfan2003, Mar 12, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2004
  18. Sliced Drop

Sliced Drop Regular Member

There's two types of 'cheater';
    Firstly there's the deliberate cheater who knowingly attempts to flaunt, circumvent or even change the laws and,
    secondly there's the accidental cheater who doesn't know the rules well enough to realise that they're cheating or attempting to.

The reason why both types get away with it so often is that so many people don't really know the rules. Even at a good club you'll rarely find a rulebook in many, if any, players' bags.

When you consider the number of people globally that play the sport, this is a ludicrous situation. Too many people learn the 'rules' from other people who have never read them. I can't really think of another popular sport with so much ignorance amongst it's players.

I propose that we all try and do something to counteract this. If everyone printed a copy of the rules, got them bound at Kinkos (or other copyshop). and donated them to the club where they usually play, we could make a dent in the problem.

19. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    In some drop-ins that I go, this older player starts preparing for a forehand serve by holding the birdie in his left hand, and bringing in back to his right side. He turns away, obscuring the birdie, then jams the handle butt in the birdie (plastic) and reams it open. Then flick serve quickly.

Naturally the flight path is abnormal, so it curves and goes in when it's headed out.

I'm normally merciful on high serves, but in this case, I just stood back a couple feet, wait for the birdie to stabilize, and then BLAST back every single time.

Another (different) older player likes to look out to the side, like he's still waiting for something, then very quickly serves it in an attempt to catch you un-ready.

Okay, same strategy. The moment he has the birdie, I wait in a ready position, then BLAST back. Since he's looking out the side, he's never ready to receive a quick paced return. He's stopped doing that to me now. hehehehhe :D

-dave

20. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Cheating is not preventable unless there are line judges and/or referees around. I just got a question here. I was coaching the Highschool during provincial qualifyings last week. And during one of the matches the opponents were calling the bird out even though it was CLEARLY in (it was a doubles game and the bird was clearly landing within singles lines then bouncing out) I was aside watching this but I wasn't sure if I could've said anything about it (being coach and all) but I didn't at that point. We lost that game because both of my players got too annoyed and were then not making good choices on their shots. So AM I allowed to say anything about it? or is it up to the players to call someone over to line judge?
    haha Dave you meanie... shouldn't pick on old people... even if they do cheat. Be merciful and at least blast the shot somewhere else :p