Blibli INDONESIA Open 2018 : Round of 32-FINAL (03-08 July)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Ask any MA, they all want their players/pairs consistently in the top 3 for medal prospects, being dominant is the last thing they worry about.

Besides, it's a natural phenomenon in any sports to have a particular competitor who is dominant when they are truly exceptional.

To be honest, the question of dominance being bad for the sport of badminton only comes to the fore after China's clean sweep of the London Olympics.

Tell me one MA that has a rule or unwritten rule that says they will only concentrate on being the best in just one or two disciplines for they are against any nation becoming dominant in the sport entirely ?

I mean, dominance in sports is unlike monopolies in business, even natural monopoly is considered bad (but not always), that's why we have anti-trust laws and regulations or competition laws to discourage or prevent monopolistic operations.

In basketball, US have been dominant for so long , yet that didn't kill the sport. In table tennis, it's been China and the sport is still in a very healthy state. Even for badminton, in history, England, Denmark, Indonesia, Korea (?), Japan (?), China, were dominant at various times. For now, isn't Japan poised to be the new powerhouse taking over China?

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think Huang Dongping doing double duty is taxing her, she's now struggling in XD with Wang Yilu against MAS Goh/Chan

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I have never said anything against domination..? o_O
    I was only talking about the chances of winning medals no matter if you were in top 3 or not were not as promising as it sounded.

4. BojepJoe

BojepJoe Regular Member

Unemployed
    For women discipline, yes. But it's still far to call them powerhouse in Men discipline. China, Denmark and Indonesia's depth is still better than Japan.

Their MD is still very hit and miss, KM is the only real superstar here.

5. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well, history has always said China is the best in badminton, Indonesia second and Korea (third?) . The only discipline china is not better than any other country is in MD, its as simple as that.

6. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

Guess you never heard of Japan or Taiwan Badminton players huh?

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

So KSS behaving like a cunt is okay, but an unpaid umpire being angry and misbehaving (without causing any real consequences, mind you) is inexcusable? Also, being an umpire isn't a career. It's basically charity work, and if the bwf doesn't change this f***ed up system they'll suffer for it, for sure. Yes, it's going to be a sizeable expense, but it's a necessary step if they want to improve the quality of umpires. Right now there's little incentive to be one, so the amount of candidates to choose from is probably very low.
    I'd like a more professionalized environment for umpires very much, as properly coached and professional officials should be better at keeping matches controlled and players in check. Since Tennis is an often-cited example and financially much more successful than badminton - look at how players behave there, there's the odd one that just cant control themself, but you'll very rarely see someone pull off the crap KSS does. And if they do, they get warning, cards, even disqualifications.

That being said, I thought his umpiring in the first game was pretty decent, reminded both pairs to not delay play, adressed misbehaviour early, probably just should have given a card to keep the match under control. Too many refs are afraid to dole out punishment, and the effect is more and more misbehaviour by players. Just like in football, where it's okay for players to scream at the ref, and borderline threaten them physically, that would never be alllowed in Rugby, American football or Tennis, for example. And the consequences of this fear of cards/punishments is quite observable, just take the 2010 world cup final as example, the Netherlands got away with all kinds of dangerous fouls because the ref was afraid to show a red....

Tl,dr; the Umpire's alleged behaviour was far from correct, but the minions aren't in a position to point fingers, quite frankly. Conduct yourself properly first before publicly complaining about others (you can always criticize them through the proper channels, of course, no one is exempt from critique).

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Tennis has similar issues with the challenges, a set time limit is also quite hard to enforce though as the umpire would theoretically need to stop the time after every single decision :D The rule should be clarified insofar that players are not allowed to talk to anyone before challenging, to avoid them getting advice, and umpires should be urged to accept any challenge made within 5 seconds or so, provided there was no communication between a player and someone outside the match.
    There were occasions where Tennis players challenged after their opponent advised them to, and it was accepted, so it can work without set time frames as well when people behave, you know, sportsmanlike.

9. lurker

lurker Regular Member

anyone got the video clip tht shows the Demnark player actually brushing the shuttle?

10. lurker

lurker Regular Member

come to think of it, i don't think there we any Korea MD in both Malaysia and Indonesia Open.
    right?

11. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

It was unclear though.. There are single camera shots about the incident, just try looking for the non TV Feed version of the match in Youtube.

But some people who sat and facing the Indonesians (watching the Danes' backs) claimed that it did touch Conrad-Petersen's racket.

12. Woman.in.Red

Woman.in.Red Regular Member

Enjoying life
    You can watch the video in youtube in slow motion.

13. lurker

lurker Regular Member

coz from reading the comments in here implies tht Kevin reacted after watching a replay from the stadium's jumbotron showing just tht

14. Woman.in.Red

Woman.in.Red Regular Member

Enjoying life
    *The one with single view camera

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Great, all the matches tomorrow are on one court, TV !

16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I think the problem was the noise from the crowds was way too loud that it made the umpire hardly audible in the first place. It is hard to keep things under control if you can't make yourself heard most of the time. I was annoyed too by the way the umpire always had to literally prolong the game by trying to get the players attention and had to repeat himself more than two or three times just for a warning. And there was this one time that Conrad accused Kevin deliberately smashed the shuttle to Kolding's head after the fault. Honestly I didn't even know that the shuttle had touched the ground before Kolding hit it back until explained by the commentators. Things were in chaos. Kevin and Conrad had been on each other's face, I didn't like it at all:(.

Last time similar thing happened there too in Indonesia Masters. Coincidence?
    In AE, things were a little bit different dealing with Kevin last time.

17. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

A racist white? Shocking! lol

18. lurker

lurker Regular Member

i'm still looking out for the thumbs down photo of Kevin!
    If only i was there.. sure already posted out! hahahaa!

19. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

Yep.. even in SS/SSP last year we barely saw KOR MD pairs who made it through to final.

20. lurker

lurker Regular Member

is it too much to ask for a english translation?
    :p

thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.