Badminton in Atlanta

Discussion in 'USA East' started by 5string, Mar 1, 2004.

1. MitTime

MitTime New Member

Age Verification

Hi,
    I'm just getting into Badminton, and I live in Roswell, Ga (north of ATL). Are there any age limits on playing? I'm 17 right now and I'm looking for someone to teach me some tips and gameplay. I would like to play badminton through college (Georgia College and State University) next year. So mainly, I'd like to see if i'd even be able to participate in these clubs like Ga tech.

Thx
    Sean

2. jacobos007

jacobos007 Regular Member

Hi, no there is no age limit. The sooner you start the better. I am in the process of finding a place to play. You're welcome to join once we've find a venue. I haven't received feedback from GA Tech yet.

3. dorkani

dorkani Regular Member

I am a member and officer at georgia tech's badminton club...just shoot me about any questions...

4. jacobos007

GReat! I would like to know how to go about to play at GA tech? What is the practicing days and time?

5. jacobos007

I got the following reply from Gayle S. Kreckman, Membership Coordinator, Campus Recreation Center

Jaco,
    the only way you can use our facility is as a guest of a member. Thanks.
    Gayle

So How do one become a member?

6. MitTime

MitTime New Member

Me too

I'd like to become a member as well, I live just 30 mins from GaTech.
    Do you have to attend GaTech to be a member? If so, then who can I be a guest under?

Thx
    Sean

P.S. Is there anytype of website for the badminton club?

7. MChristine

MChristine Regular Member

it seems to me...

there are a lot of people who want to play and not enough places to play. The waiting lists and club memberships seem to be a reoccuring theme here. I wonder if it would be worth while to try to start up a new club. I'm in East Cobb and would love to start playing again. Maybe if there are enough people interested and willing to commit, we could find a new place to play. What do you guys think?

Christine

8. jacobos007

For sure! I was thinking about the same thing this weekend. I know of only 2 places in Atlanta to play badminton and one has got a waiting list and the other you need to be a member or accompanied by a member. It would be great to have a place that we can often play on our own. How do we start the process?

9. WazzaT

WazzaT Regular Member

If anyone lives in the Decatur area or can get there easily, there are a couple of courts where some members of my old club which used to play at Georgia State University play on a pretty regular basis.

To get in touch drop kimmerbee@aol.com an email. It's a really friendly group of people who are very relaxed.

To my knowledge, Georgia State University has a similar system to Georgia Tech where you have to be guest of a student to play.

10. MChristine

I think

if there are enough people like us looking for a place to play and willing to commit the time, we could just start looking for gyms to play in. The tricky part is to establish a core group of players. If we could get them together though, we could contact locations in the area with a gym- YMCA, churches, high schools, or the parks and recreation dept. and try to rent out the space a couple nights a week.

11. jacobos007

That sounds great. We found another place, it's a goup of players that used to play at Georgia State University. They are starting to play next week at the Decatur Rec Centre. The person to contact is: Kim 404-281-2856 or Sue 770-377-3404. Just arrange with the on the details etc.

12. kevinchain

kevinchain New Member

Student
    :D hi...I just moved to Canton, Georgia and I started playing badminton 2 years ago in San Jose California...and I was just wondering if there are any places that they have open gym for badminton. =edit= I'm 15 btw, so I can't join the college places T.T

13. nedar

nedar New Member

Any places to play in east cobb or kennesaw??

Hello All,
    My name is Imran, I recently moved to kennesaw GA, from Athens GA. While in Athens i got to play a lot of Badminton and also served as the president of the Badminton Club at university of Georgia.Like everybody else, I am having trouble finding places to play in the east cobb or kennesaw area. Maybe we can get a club going at the Kennesaw state university. If anybody has any info or knows how to go about this, Please let me know(nedar@hotmail.com) Thanks.

Keep Smashing.
    Imran

14. MChristine

KSU sounds great to me...

I think I'll call them and see if they'd be open to letting us use the gym if we could get a club together.

Chris

15. nedar

nedar New Member

Ya, that would be great. I visited KSU this weekend and found out to open a club we will have to get 15 KSU students to sign up as members to get a club going. But please do inform us about your findings.

Keep smashing
    Imran

16. MChristine

no luck today

I called the athletic department, but wasn't able to reach anyone. How do we get 15 KSU students to sign up?

Chris

17. Sanjay_Sharma

Sanjay_Sharma New Member

Consultant
    I live in Dunwoody area zipcode 30350

18. MChristine

just wondering

if you have heard anything new from KSU.

Chris

19. nedar

nedar New Member

Hi
    Hmm, I didnt follow up with it.. But now that KSU is starting for fall semester, It's probably good time to follow up or try to get a club going.

20. nelsonloh

nelsonloh New Member

I'm interested in playing badminton too

Hi, I'm also interested in joining a group for badminton. Havent played for a while but really itching for a good game. I have my own rackets and some shuttlecocks. Living in Dunwoody...