Badminton Central Guide to Stringing Tools

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Apr 10, 2012.

1. aiexrlder

aiexrlder Regular Member

Ah yes i found the same, mine came with two springs but only one inserted. Once i inserted the second it's been fine extending up to 32lb although still feels a bit scary.

speCulatius likes this.
  2. Brunoille

Brunoille Regular Member

Perharps you should try to change the spring (it seems to be the same as the ones used for gardening - pruning shears)...

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

good idea. I need to look around if there are matching springs with different tensions available.

4. Brunoille

Brunoille Regular Member

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Another small update. I've just seen and directly ordered (I'm weak and easy to impress...:)) the rubber padded side supports for machines with a 1.2 cm mouting hole pattern:
    https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005...b!12000037951092696!im!!&gatewayAdapt=glo2deu

And while I was at it, I added this special awl for conquering a really nasty blocked shared grommet if necessary:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...il_item.5.5c036368wJ9fTb&gatewayAdapt=glo2deu

As always, I'll keep you updated about my findings.

6. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Yeah, same here. I had this one on my wish list forever - the concept looks great, I just wonder how safe it will be for the string to shove that needle into an already blocked grommet. We'll see.

8. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Yes, especially the thickness of the needle as it has to allow the string to go inside

9. aiexrlder

aiexrlder Regular Member

I've had this for a while. Initially i used it quite a lot for the shared holes at the top. It works as advertised and i haven't noticed any damage to the main string in the hole already. It is a bit of a pain to thread the cross string through it though so I've just gone back to using a string mover.

s_mair likes this.
  10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I have it. It works for thinner strings but the little hole doesn't allow anything thicker than bg66um. I only had to use it once with a stubborn case

Pantoufle and s_mair like this.
  11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The pathfinder awl has arrived, here are some detailed pictures:
    IMG_7833 (Groß).JPG IMG_7834 (Groß).JPG IMG_7836 (Groß).JPG IMG_7837 (Groß).JPG

As with all products from this seller I've seen so far, the parts appear to be nicely done. Handle is full aluminum, the slider mechanics feel solid. As you can see, the tip is significantly thinner than that on a standard badminton awl which should make is fairly easy to thread even the most crowded shared holes. The diameter of string which the awl can handle is limited by the hole in the front. I could manage to squeeze in a BG80, but BG65 appear to be too thick. But this would be a real shame since it is exactly that wobbly BG65 which could make this awl useful.

Anyways, I'll test the functionality on the next jobs. But imo this is an emergency-only tool, I don't see this as a tool that anyone regularly use on a normal job.

Pantoufle, kwun, aiexrlder and 2 others like this.
  12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Just played around with it for a bit and in all honesty, I think it's a waste of money.

First, you can only really use it coming from the outside of the frame. If you want to use it from the inside, the other strings and the clamps are limiting the angles so much, it's in fact useless:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second, I just don't have the guts to shove that sharp needle into an already crowded hole with the force needed. Couldn't do it, sorry.

So even if the general idea sounds promising, it doesn't prove to be doing the promised job in reality. So my advise: Spend your money on something else.

13. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I recommend spending your money on waxed tooth floss =) https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...u-a-shared-grommet-tooth-floss-method.147404/
    • Use case 1: clean teeth
    • Use case 2: threading string through shared grommets.
    credit to @Pete LSD for showing me the "ropes" and spending the time to teach me in person how to string when I first started..

akatsuki2104 and s_mair like this.