An Se Young ( 안세영 )

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by paroxysmal, May 22, 2019.

1. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

congrats to asy for her 1st world title, it's so rare to see a player that are so dominant at the world tour are winning the world championship as well

good to see that she displayed more proactive badminton in the final, her attacking game has improved so much even compared to when she won the all england earlier this year, now imagine if she can develop more power coming into olympics. hopefully she can take the gold at paris next year

Baddie lover likes this.
  2. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

i just rewatched her match against cyf (who in my opinion was her hardest opponent), and one thing i think she could really improve was that how she should followed up a lot of her good shot. I've lost count how many times she played a good shot and forced CYF to play a short lift/loose net shot yet she couldn't capitalize on it

3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Congrats to ASY for winning gold at the Asian Games.

LjS4 likes this.
  4. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    She is playing too much. Hope she doesn't develop a major injury at the younger age. She should be at her best at least till the Olympics.

Sent from my CPH2447 using Tapatalk

5. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

yeah i hope she skip denmark open and maybe french open too, no need to play anymore especially after her knee problem yesterday. she already won all the big titles this year anyway. maybe she can just focus on wtf in december

6. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

An Se Young is going to undergo rehab for her knee injury for the next 5 weeks or so. Definitely skipping DEN and FRA Opens. Might miss Korea Masters and Japan Masters too depending on how quickly she recovers.

nokh88, Sundis, Cheung and 2 others like this.
  7. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

Who can beat ASY right now ? I don't even remember the last time she lost a match

8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    All top 3 women singles players are injured.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Let’s hope all three recover quickly from their injuries.

More twists and turns if they don’t - Marin would then have a great chance for next year…..

nokh88 likes this.
  10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yes, and with TTY not performing well, Marin may spring another surprise.

11. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Marin would be GOATed if she wins another Olympic Gold. That would be insane!

12. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

do you know whether cyf gonna play denmark open or no ? i know asy & ay wouldn't, don't know about cyf

don't know what happen with tty, she played really well earlier this year. she almost beat asy at the all england then won the bac as well beating asy in the final

i don't like marin, but yeah that would be insane if she can win her 2nd gold at the olympics. 2 og gold & 3 wc gold would put her as the best ws player of all time

anyway i hope asy win the olympics next year, maybe bac too. if she win those 2 tournament will she become the youngest player to achieve grandslam (excluding team event) ? she already won all england, wc, asian games, and world tour finals, she only need asian championship and olympic gold to complete her individual grandslam

13. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

i know she isn't 100% yet but after her loss to cyf today i think she need to improve her attacking play even more. cyf play similar style yet she's much more effective than asy when she's on the attack. asy could get a short lift and she wouldn't be able to kill it because she lacks power (and maybe accuracy too). idk if people notice, but when asy won against cyf, it's usually because cyf made a lot of mistake against her, not because asy scored so many points. on the other hand, when cyf won against asy, it seems like she was able to score a lot of point herself (sudirman cup, indonesia open, kumamoto masters). until asy fix this issue, cyf can still beat her at any given time, including the olympics next year

14. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

To be fair, ASY's game is not really about scoring points. Sure she will take her chances when the opponent plays subpar shots, but she mostly just tries to stay in control of the rally, rather than attack to score points. So naturally most of ASYs points will come from the opponent's mistakes, induced by ASY superior consistency, concentration, and stamina. Then there is the mental pressure of playing someone where you have to work really hard for your points. It can rattle a player into making easy mistakes.

Today CYF found a way through the defence, and outlasted ASY in stamina. It's not really ASY's attack that failed her, because that isn't usually her win-condition anyway. It's her defence and stamina that failed, which isn't surprising if she is coming back from an injury. I wouldn't be surprised if even in the matches CYF lost, she played more winners than ASY.

I think the issue isn't that ASYs attack isn't good enough, but instead that she needs to get back to the match fitness from before her break.

15. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

but don't you think her lack of attacking threat could be causing her trouble in the future ? it's not only a problem against cyf, she had similar problem against akane when akane was at her best earlier this year

16. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

I'm sure she would love to have a great attack, a great defence, unending stamina, and an unbreakable mentality. Obviously it is better to be a more complete player, but most players try to play to their strengths in matches.

Some players will purposefully train to turn their relative weaknesses into a strength. Axelsen, who was always a great attacking player, trained in the run up to the olympics to improve his defence and stamina to challenge Momota. His attacking play failed, so it was necessary to to improve his defence and consistency, to challenge Momota in those longer rallies. Unfortunately we never got to see the clash because Momota fell off.

Similarly, for a player like ASY, a better attack is only really necessary if her defence fails. And for a decent chunk of the year, her defence simply didn't fail. Sure it is better if she had some more weapons to score points, but that is not her win-condition. If she developed more attacking capability, that wouldn't necessarily secure her spot at the top. But if her defence is how it was before her break, few players even have a chance against her. CYF is definitely one of them, but she needs to play perfect, without too many mistakes, which is difficult when everything keeps coming back.

LjS4 likes this.
  17. viver

viver Regular Member

I don't think ASY is 100% match fit yet. If you watch her first match against the Taiwan player, ASY did walk with a slight limp initially which I think she is still not fully confident about her movements.

Attacking the opponent does not mean necessarily going for the hard smashes. Moving opponents around and not allowing them ideal positions to play their shots fully is another form of attack.

ASY's hard attack is quite good, better than CYF's but could always improve. Watching her match against CYF, the few full attacks she made were very successful. Her smashes were crisp, with very good power; her follow-up at the net was also very fast. If I remember correctly, CYF was not able to defend well against ASY's smashes. They were not many of these type of attacks, first it is not ASY preferred type of play, second she may not be fully confident about the recovery of her injury; smash and rush to the net puts a bigger stress on your knees.

18. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

i do agree with you, i don't think she's 100% match fit yet and her movement against the taiwan player in the first round clearly still limited especially in the defense. i think she moved better since the qf though

i don't think her hard attack is better than chen yufei. i've seen seen them played against each other quite a lot this year and to me it seems like it's always easier for cyf to score point against asy than the other way around. you can see my comment above after the world championship ended, she had similar problem against cyf back then as well. she played a lot of good shot, controlled the rally amazingly, but when she got the short lift she rarely able to capitalize on it. luckily cyf made quite a lot of unforced errors that day, i think it was quite an even game despite asy beat her in straight game

19. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Why is ASY even playing and risking the injury, especially so when the Olympics are around the corner?

Sent from my CPH2447 using Tapatalk

Cheung likes this.
  20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    She’s 40000 points ahead of 6 place Han Yue, so yeah, it’s not that much of a rush. Or they just wanted her to keep some tournament feeling with no pressure to go far in the draw.