2023 TotalEnergies BWF WORLD Championships : R/64-FINAL (21-27 August)

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by Baddyforall, Aug 19, 2023.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I am the one that would say Chen Long’s style is boring.

Baddie lover likes this.
  2. Vestige117

Vestige117 Regular Member

People cannot understand that

High quality badminton

IS NOT

exciting/fun badminton.

They are not mutual.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

WHO? Nah, I don't even remember who is the All England Champion, let alone The Accidental AE MS Champ.o_O:rolleyes:

But not for H S Prannoy whom I'll remember for years to come as The One Who Kicked The Reigning World Champion Out Of The Running.

And for sure the dethroned WC, Viktor Axelsen, who's probably hiding somewhere licking his wounds and shedding the occasional tears:p would not forget HSP for decades to come, nay, for life. You know, I actually surmised that your HSP might emerge the eventual WC or at least deserved to be in the final (checked my earlier posts).

Lastly, please send HSP my best regards coupled with a reminder to be careful that VA would've vowed to crush him the next time they meet (though I doubt HSP cares a whit).

4. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

I don't think KN plays long rallies with every opponent. He won all his matches in 2 sets in this WC. But there is something between KV and KN that makes them switch playing style when meeting each other. They both sensed that their opponent's defences and counter attacks are very good. They both sensed that they have to be extra careful in choosing when to attack when playing with each other. But when KV or KN plays with other opponents, they are both very capable of making good attacks and catch their opponents by surprise. When they meet each other all of a sudden, they switch their playing style. From Junior, I think they know what each other is capable of. They read each other's moves very well. Wise players know that they have to adapt and play a bit differently according to the opponent they meet.

Many times KV attempted aggressive attacks but KN put up a great defence. Also many times KN attempted good quality attacks but KV put up a great defence. And everyone including the commentators were surprised how on earth did KV or KN defended that. It is natural that they take time a bit to find ways to get through each other's defences. Some people find it boring when this happens in the middle of a match. But I don't find it boring because it is like a calm before the storm. They are both gambling and calculating when to make a move.

I remember when watching boxers like Joe Fraser taking punches after punches and yet refused to punch back, some people will say it is boring. But suddenly when the time is right according to his calculations, he started to punch back with all the energy he has been saving sensing that the opponent's good defences has been sufficiently weakened. Sometimes when you meet an opponent you know is especially good in defending, you have to apply different approaches. It might work it might not work. It is a gamble.

KV has more stamina this time and therefore deserves to win this time.

Sent from my SM-T385L using Tapatalk

#1084 Pcyl, Aug 27, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
    pp35, Simeon, Cheung and 3 others like this.
  5. DinB

DinB Regular Member

I am satisfied with the results just because of "manners" issue.

1. ASY beating Marin, always good to see the worst manners lose.
    2. No Danes made it to MS finals. This awful crowd deserved it.
    3. Danes losing in MD finals. This booing crowd also deserved it.

Even Gill Clark had things to say about this booing crowd. It's such a bad image for the sport. Aren't you suppose to come watch "good" badminton? As for Marin, her strongest point is her determination, but unfortunately that also includes her being an ass.

trizzforce, Anks, rakenrol and 4 others like this.
  6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    xd:
    • what i find incredible about seo 'the stud' seung-jae is he's still getting better, and so is chae yu-jung for that matter. she played her personal best.
    • the korean pair is still rising. hyq/zsw are a hair past their peak, but are still expected to beat everyone else on any given day... it's just not expected 100% of the time anymore.
    ws:
    • it's an se-young's world and the rest of the ladies are merely taking up space.
    • it's a shame the spanish opponent is occupying negative space.
    ms:
    • well, it may not be watchable but you can't blame kv & kn for making the final.
    • the blame rests solely on your favorite player that lost in their earlier round.
    • i hope this helps badminton explode in thailand.
    • prannoy proved to be the most inspirational player, the feel good story of the tournament.
    md:
    • the ?'n is always 'can the legends of yesterday and yesteryear beat the best of today?' i say no. the game is so much faster due to the faster flat style of play. there's no way to guarantee the legends of the near past could succeed playing this current style. times change. the equipment changes. the game changes. you can't live in the past forever.
    • seo 'the sensational' seung-jae made history. in a word... wow!
    'team':
    • for now korea overtakes china as the best team in the world.
    • this is good for the sport.

visor, trizzforce, oldtaby and 6 others like this.
  7. DinB

DinB Regular Member

Accidental Swiss open 2023, accidental German open 2022, accidental Denmark open 2022.

With All England and WC, that's 5 accidents in 2 years. What's the point of calling "accidental" champ? Despite an impressive run through out the year, Viktor is far from being unbeatable.

whatAHassle likes this.
  8. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Korea has "Sudirman win" right ?

Some people strive their whole life can't be equal to another in a tournament where they suddenly go out of their way.

Seo got 2 world championship medals from "nothing". I'm a little jealous for my idol.

I used to tell my friend that An Se Young will be the "Momota of women's singles", the day has come.

Kunlavut has always been the leader, since childhood. Lakshya and Naraoka will be need to do something groundbreaking, what they do is good enough but not groundbreaking to get ahead.

Zheng/Huang will dominate as usual, however like Viktor, they will encounter more challengers in the future.

9. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

For Kodai Naraoka, he has to improve his stamina. If he can do that then with his good skills and badminton senses, he will be great. If he can't, he will still be somewhere near the top. For sure, he will still make great wins and get close to the finals (or the finals) many times but to get across the finishing line, he will need that extra push that Momota or other consistent winners are able to bring out.

Sent from my SM-T385L using Tapatalk

10. leonjun

leonjun Regular Member

Student
    It's satisfying to see the Danes lost to the Seo/Kang pair in MD final. Seo was already tired from playing (and winning) the XD final, yet he and Kang still prevailed against the Danes. It showed at the end of the day, the Koreans were stronger. I believe if Seo was not in the XD final, he and Kang would have beaten the Danes in 2 sets.

11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

So Seo Seung Jae > Kim Dong Moon?

12. whatAHassle

whatAHassle Regular Member

No need to bother with people who have issues. Somehow, defeating the reigning champion but not becoming champion (HSP) is more memorable than being World Champion (KV).

justiceforlcy likes this.
  13. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

how ? or is this just another bait post from you

14. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Just asking. What do you think?

15. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

KN hit the limit.. i think technically there's not much to improve while physically he can gain more lean mass esp. on leg to support his rally style of play that requires plenty of energy in the tank. And KV happens to have more in reserve to outplay him in the decider. Good game

16. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

kdm.jpg

17. S Chandrasekhar

S Chandrasekhar Regular Member

Kim Dong Moon is a legend. So are Ha Taek Kwan and Lee Dong Soo. The present gen can't match the olden generation for sure especially for the longevity the olden generation guys showed. As usual winning one tournament doesn't mean anything :)

Of course SSJ is a great player not taking anything away from him, but I don't see or believe anyone from the current crop (especially MD discipline) who can sustain their top form for >5-7years or so.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This list is incomplete.

There’s a silver medal in Men’s doubles from Sydney 2000.

Also a silver in men’s singles from Athens 2000.

19. LeeRey

LeeRey Regular Member

Sports Analyst
    means? There are no Malaysians in the final

20. LeeRey

LeeRey Regular Member

Sports Analyst
    Seo Seung Jae! He is a monster!