2016 YONEX ALL ENGLAND Open SSP - FINALS (13th March)

Discussion in 'German / All England / Swiss Open 2016' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Mar 12, 2016.

1. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

The most exciting match for me is:

XD, WS and MD

I like the ummmph punch from Praveen Jordan though, pleasant smash sound to my ears. WS is also good match and what can I say from Russian pair in MD. I've impress enough with Endo/Hayakawa whole tourney and this Russians just blow my mind with that tall guy, Ivanov. MD final is superb! I prefer this kind of match with less tactical and bang bang bang on both side..ummph!

2. Pirayeba67

Pirayeba67 Regular Member

Head hunter
    PI
    I am just as surprised as you that an elderly BCer whom every body in this forum fondly call an uncle can come out out with that kind of nitpicking. LD was clearly doing it in jest. I request the honorable uncle to wind back or forward the video on YouTube to listen to what GC commented on that little drama.

#522 Pirayeba67, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  3. Hazeef

Hazeef Regular Member

Student
    2013, 2014, 2015.. The russian pair lost in first round of AE.. All to the eventual winners ! 2013 to liu/qiu.. 2014 to ahsan/setiawan.. 2015 to boe/mogensen. CMIIW

Once they passed first round, they went on and win the whole tournament. amazing !!!

4. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Congratulations to NO & the Russian pair on their win

5. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Incredible from the Russian MD pair! Didn't I say a few days ago that this might be their time? I remember someone writing them off big time, but I've been observing that most of the matches they lose against top pairs tend to go to three sets. So it's actually no big surprise that they've pulled this big one out. Poor Japanese pair though - 7th Super Series silver medal if I'm not mistaken, much like Kenichi Tago? And look what's happened to Kenichi Tago now!

6. Vishnu

Vishnu Regular Member

Auditor
    Womens singles final match was marred with lot of controversy which could have been avoided by the umpire. Lets all agree that it is a high pressure game which went upto the third game and the players are bound to get tired but to penalize a player with a red card and changing the course of the match is highly condemnable. Better sense could have prevailed on the umpire and he could have let go of the time wasting tactics adopted by both the players. Even Okuhara at one stage was delibiratley wasting time by tying her shoe laces which was unwarranted at that time. I was supporting for Okuhara but still my heart went out for the way Wang Shixian played after losing the first game. Wang was leading throughout the third game when the untimely red card gave an upper hand for Okuhara. Badminton is not like a game of football where one has to bring the players under control for unruly behavior. Excellent game by both the players which deserved a better finish. Assuming the game was not marred by the red card incident it would have gone on to become on the best matches to have ever been played in the women singles category. I wish BWF take note of such cases and bring more sanity and sense to the chair umpires.

7. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

This happened to Marin and was given red card twice and the whole world was happy about it and i watched the match. Shixian played well in the 3rd game but at the same time, she was wasting lots of time in between even though umpire warned her many times. She did not learn though. He gave yellow card once. Immediately, she should have kept her focus on the match and now we could have seen her in podium with gold. Hope she learn from this and try not to do again in the future. She had upper hand but lost the control of it due to her habit. It seems like she is doing it even without her knowledge.

#527 Baddyforall, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  8. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

The red card didn't necessarily alter the outcome - Okuhara had caught up by then to 17-17. And she ended up winning by 2 points, 21-19. So it's difficult to know what would have happened if the red card wasn't given. Perhaps WSX was tired, and trying to buy time to rest. If she didn't time waste, perhaps she would have lost more rallies due to fatigue. Okuhara deserved this victory. I remember her pain when she lost to WSX in a nearly 2 hour duel almost exactly a year ago:
    http://tournamentsoftware.com/sport/match.aspx?id=C79DF254-6C04-4D4F-BAD9-38D0E93FD0FB&match=126

I'm not sure if any WS match has lasted that long since the points system changed. So well done to Okuhara for getting one back. And what an important win too - the All England!

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Please don't put words in my mouth and try not to be personal.
    I'm just stating my view and there's no discrimination against LD. It will be the same for other players.

10. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    I agree. I was watching the match and the umpire warned her countless times. She was loitering around the court like nobody's business.

11. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    I agree. I was watching the match and the umpire warned her countless times. She was loitering around the court like nobody's business.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Take it as only my view of the incident. I'm not GC and she is entitled to her view.

Racket throwing is not in my badminton vocabulary and should not be done in jest. Especially for LD who is a role model for many young badminton enthusiasts. I just hope they would not emulate LD in their matches and give the excuse that if even LD does it, why can't I?

13. Pirayeba67

Head hunter
    Everybody, including LD, knows that even if he managed to send the shuttle back by throwing the racket it won't be counted. Even the umpire saw the lighter side of his action and chose not to even want to think of reprimanding him, and the way he threw the racket will certainly hurt nobody, not even the advertisement board. I certainly will not make a mountain out of a molehill. I have seen a match where the shuttle was clearly going way out. The receiving player, quite far from the shuttle, pouched his mouth and acted like he wanted to blow the shuttle away. Everyone laughed and the tension in the arena was reduced. We see quite a lot of players who are comedians, especially in Tennis. Yes, uncle Loh, you are entitled to your views. I on my part welcome little dramas like what LD did, which while not hurting anybody or changing the course of a rally is helping to liven up an otherwise boring match. Life is short. I need a lot of laughs to make it longer.
    I must confess that although I am a diehard fan of LD, I actually wanted THW to win. It will do a lot of good for his confidence.

#533 Pirayeba67, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I also like humour and drama to make it more interesting. I enjoyed the energetic display of the Kiwi\Maori-like dance by the victorious Russian MD team.

Your example of the player trying to blow away the shuttle is humourous and harmless and I think the umpire should not make an issue of it.

But throwing a racket to meet the shuttle can result in an accident that can cause injury. That is the main message although in this instance no injury was done nor intended.

15. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student

Can, is different than would.

We in this world work on probability, and injury can be caused by many things. It certainly is your view that racket shouldn't thrown.

It is my view that it depends on what and how people throw the racket. Some people do it in rage, for the express purpose of harming others. That is malicious intent.

Your view, I must say though, is in acute minority here, since no body is making such a big deal out of it, except you. Even GC, largely shook it off as humor.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It's no big deal. I'm just giving my view. You either agree or disagree.

It seems to me that you agree with GC's view, so be it. But I have not heard her comments and I may not agree with what she said.

Your view that my view "is in acute minority here" cannot stand unless a poll is done. You don't represent the majority here, do you? But that is your view.

17. Firas

Firas Regular Member

What's your opinion on Danish players throwing their rackets into the crowd for celebrating an important victory?

18. Pirayeba67

Head hunter
    Whether the red card against WSX altered the outcome of the WS finals is impossible to tell. What I can say is that WSX let a winnable match slip away because she lost her composure towards the end of G3. That should'nt happen when she has so much experience. Is it because playing NO is too much of a mental pressure for her?
    I am a great fan of Chinese badminton but as far as the red card is concerned I think WSX should blame herself. I certainly won't called the empire STUPID as one poster did when a decision went against an Indian player.
    Is the reincarnation of that poster who liked to sting people with the tip of his tail in this forum?

#538 Pirayeba67, Mar 14, 2016
  19. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

I agree. Nozomi Okuhara has already caught up Shixian before the red card was issued.

I wonder how she will do in the coming months leading to RIO. She is the strong contender for the RIO gold. But anything happens. Let's wait and watch what happens @India Open & Malaysia Open.

20. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

And we are expressing the view that this particular view of yours is not worth the badmintoncentral server space it has been saved on.

#540 Forestal, Mar 14, 2016