2016 YONEX ALL ENGLAND Open SSP - FINALS (13th March)

Discussion in 'German / All England / Swiss Open 2016' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Err, seniority should be based on experience, not age-- there are badminton fans who spend their whole lives obsessing one or two aspects of the game like who smashes the hardest, which players are the nicest or more "professional", or which countries are dominating, etc...

There is very little you can discuss or learn from such fans, apart from the subject of their preoccupation.

Then there badminton fans or commentators who have been around so long that they are only really concerned about the GAME of badminton, aka its "meta-game". You can usually tell the difference from the way they obsessed/fight over Gillian Clark's commentary (completely missing the point that her commentary is based on last 30-50 years of international badminton).

2. Belgian

Belgian Regular Member

student
    Hey, does someone know the name of the song that played during the winners-ceremony?

3. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I think it's a standard referee decision. If you waste time, then you might get a red card. It's like if you ran through a red light, you might get ticketed. Not everyone who ran a red light gets ticketed, but the ones that does deserve it. You can't say "oh it's unfair that I get ticketed because my friend also ran a red light yesterday and he didn't get ticketed."

Badminton is definitely a sport where one has to bring the players under control for unruly behavior. The unruly behaviors might be less dangerous than football, but it's unruly all the same. And for the most part they have done well, making double motion service and taunting opponent illegal.

4. Firas

Firas Regular Member

I felt the umpire was a tat harsh with WSX too.

In fact, I was rooting for Okuhara but switched sides when everyone, including the commentators, were giving WSX a hard time. And for what? Not for screaming loudly at every point mind you; not for tossing the racket high in the air; not for arguing abundantly with the umpire and showing grave disrespect; not for taking her time to return the shuttle or for always wanting to change shuttles (like Lin Dan would); but for taking "too long" in-between rallies.

Is there a time limit or a clear regulation on this yet I wonder - where is the "rule of law" when you need it?

My god, those were 30-shot rallies on average - be realistic. Okuhara certainly wasn't complaining to the umpire, only the sport commentators were. In fact, they were raving endlessly about Okuhara's victory and her 21st birthday after the match without even sparing a thought or kind word for WSX's effort. I'm sure everyone in the stadium and at home were grateful to both these girls for such a marvellous display of badminton - except for the umpire in my opinion.

Also with her experience, WSX could have easily feign injury to receive treatment; fall on the floor to have it mooped; or pretend her laces also need retying if she is crafty enough to extract time to rest but she did not. As a whole, I felt the Chinese has been pretty tolerant and respectful in this tournament and it is mostly appreciated.

5. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Yeah! one should fall on the court after every rally like Okuhara does with a big sweet smile on the face.That would be appreciated.

6. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    I know it's lil late, my WiFi's validity was over at the late hour :D
    Anyways, Congrats to all my NO camp mates ;) She was extremely calm and got better of her much more experienced and mentally tough opp in style! I missed the red card part though!
    Vladimir/Ivanov OMG that was a superb way to celebrate their biggest victory! I loved it
    It's long way to go NO, let's go !!

7. Vishnu

Vishnu Regular Member

Auditor
    Wang Shixian could easily faked some injury to buy some time but she did the obvious thing which the referee construed as time wasting. In the same match Okuhara was re tying her shoe laces which was more time wasting than Wang Shixian. As I said before, we as badminton fans would not mind the little extra time taken by the players in such high intensity matches. Who ever wins let the whole match be free of any controversy. Assuming there was no red card incident and Okuhara still wins the match we would have been discussing about a wonderful match which was played by two exceptionally talented players and would have gone on to become one of the top matches played in WS. As a spectator I do not mind if a player takes a little extra time. In the age technology lets not leave the game of badminton at the mercy of the chair umpire.

#547 Vishnu, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    agree..

Instead of allowing more hawk-eye challenges, they should have let players have more breaks; for instance, two 60-second breaks per game whenever the player wants them.

9. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

what would be good is to have some from tennis and table tennis.

1) have a set time (15s, say from the end of the last point) for both the server and receiver to get ready.
    do whatever you like within that set time, mop floor, towel/drink break etc
    2) and a set time (5s, say) that the server to execute the serve.
    3) a 30s timeout per game for each player and coaching allowed.

10. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Wow!
    Lin Dan looked back in form.

And Nozomi, proved once again that she is a monster.
    A what a birthday she celebrated.
    Last year Carolina looked like the one to beat. This year it seems to be Nozomi.

#550 Airos, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  11. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    I agree with the timeout one, Almost every sport has stratigical/medical timeout breaks!
    Badminton being one of the fastest and one of the most physically challenging one, must give the participants privilege to take a lil rest if they want!

12. Airos

Airos Regular Member

If you ask me, even a time-out isn't necessary. Just give the players a little time to settle down.

And I am not even talking about any particular match.

The extent to which badminton matches are hurried these days is very annoying. The players are almost treated like little school children who need to be disciplined. I mean give the players some respect.

In tennis they often referred to the players as Mr. or Miss. The ball boys will collect the balls for the players.
    In badminton? Go collect it yourself.

I mean seriously! Give the players some respect.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    That is different. It is the fans who want a share of their idols, their shirts and rackets AFTER the match. And the victorious players simply oblige to make their appreciative fans happy. Of course accidents can happen too, but this is not during an official match.

However racket throwing should not be done during a match. Players should have respect for their opponents, the chair umpire and other officials, apart from unintended accidents/incidents from happening.

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    If it is so, then the mod would not allow it. Still this is your opinion.

15. Vishnu

Vishnu Regular Member

Auditor
    Have u ever seen a wimbledon tennis match where a player is shown red card? What is BWF trying to achieve by bringing red cards similar to football. Please equate badminton with a similar sport like tennis and we as badminton lovers would like to see a match without any controversies involving red cards and umpires domination. We had one of the the best ever played between Okuhara & Wang Shixian. Kudos to both the players and a big thumbs down to the chair umpire for playing spoilsport to this wonderful game between two extremely talented players

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Totally agree with Uncle Loh.

[​IMG]

It could have hit a line judge or camera man... maybe his own coach if he had one there..

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The chair umpire has a difficult job of keeping the match going as smoothly as possible, hopefully uninterrupted. There are specific rules on various aspects of the game as well as on time-wasting. Coaches and team officials are expected to be well-versed with such rules and convey them to their players.

Such rules are made and carried out as consistently as possible to be fair to all parties concerned. The red card is to penalize players who habitually flout the rules, after an initial warning. So errant players cannot say they are not informed and they have to face the consequence.

18. Firas

Firas Regular Member

You mean throwing a racket within the vicinity of a (empty) court is dangerous but throwing it intentionally at a crowd is not?......and it's because the fans want a share of their idols?

A strange logic I feel.

19. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Red card to Roger Federer ?

PeRFect fans will make his life miserable outside and probably he will never ever appear on the umpire's chair again.

20. renbo

renbo Regular Member

During the quarters, some of you guys noticed how LD did not look at, even turned his back to the assistant coach at the intervals? He said nothing at all. Then after the first game, or the second, I don't remember, XXZ came in, and then LD start to listen and talk to him.
    It looked as if LD really weight XXZ's point of view, but do not care at all for the ass. coach's opinion.