2016 Rio Olympic Games : Day-3 (13th August) - Group Stage Match

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by CLELY, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

But isn't it worse and unjust to base on the presumption of guilt until proven innocent? I say it's WADA's job as the authority to come out with a reliable, fair and effective testing system. Any kind of accusations must be able to stand up to a trustworthy court of law or there'll be no peace and justice nor truth.

2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

LOL....Peace of Mind?

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Oh, I'm not accusing them. I just view them with suspicion, but until proven otherwise, I wouldn't actually call them dopers.
    Having come into contact with quite a few Russians online, I have the impression that cheating is a culturally accepted thing, and that coupled with the uncovered doping scandal makes me suspicious of any Russian athlete for the time being. If it calms anyone, I find them much much less suspicious than Rahimov, for example, or the Lithuanian who won Bronze in yesterday's 95kg Oly. lifting competition.

Let's close that somber topic though and focus on the exciting Badminton ahead of us :)

4. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    I casually read some BCers here energetically posted about the doping accusations towards the Russian Federation and verdicts from WADA and few other sporting bodies incl. some outcry calls for the blanket banning on the entire Russian athletes in the Rio 2016 etc...

I just wanna point out briefly that all these negative campaigns against the Russian Federation, carried out by an army of the mainstream media in almost hysterical fashions, ARE NOT FREE FROM POLITICAL MOTIVES, they are NOT purely sport issues!

Before this hit, there were a series of attacks on the int'l sport organizations (IOC, FIFA, IAAF), just look at "US attacks on international sport organizations FIFA IOC IAAF" for the prelude of these doping attacks.

For the WADA doping accusations against Russia, for more balanced opinions read also the Russian explanations upon these matters, incl. the preceeding attacks on Maria Sharapova exploiting the meldonium issue. Just peruse on sites of RT.com and Sputniknews.com, they have some related articles diverted from the MSM news angles on this topic. And WADA is not an angel! The sudden very intense doping attacks against the Russians right before the Rio OG are part of the broader political plays, the Cold War ver 2.0.

Note: I try to stay away discussing explicit politics in BC, but if one fully ignores the political weights in those issues such as the doping attacks on Russia, it's terribly naive imo. Just links the many smaller pieces of puzzles in order to see the way much bigger picture of the world today...

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
  6. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Trust you to come out so candidly and bluntly about it. I agree there's more to it than meets the eye. Esp when so many countries are guilty of doping and only Russia is targeted, and the timing, the circumstances, etc. Particularly, MaClaren's Report is based not on concrete evidence, only an eyewitness account and two whistleblowers(a husband and wife team) of whom the woman athlete only doing so after she was caught doping; and to make matters worse, the report mentioned four categories of samples split into various degrees of seriousness of which one category is considered not serious at all - no wonder IOC President Thomas Bach was taken aback upon learning of it ( a " sexed up" report) and found it a mess ("it's WADA's fault"), that's why he refused to issue a blanket ban but leave it to the individual sport federations to decide.

Never mind. Let's leave politics out of it. The most important thing is to uphold the Olympic spirit as best we could. Suffice to say, any accusations and punishment dealt ought to be fair and just, thoroughly investigated and evidence-based, and no double-standards or ulterior motives.

kelana likes this.
  8. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Yes. Lets ban them. America and co. rule the world.

9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yes...ban those who are guilty, whatever nationally, American, Russian, Chinese, Malaysian and so on.

10. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Doping will improve your fitness level not your technical skill. In MD the fitness requirements are not as high as MS. Doping in MD should be pretty useless.

11. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    If RUS badminton players use doping how can Vladimir Malkov run out of gas in G2 vs Lin Dan? With doping he will get more than 7 points in G2 right?

nokh88 likes this.
  12. erpepaulus

erpepaulus Regular Member

Student
    You should watch Lee Chong Wei Vs someone from Mauritius, Chong Wei defeated him less than 5 points each set I guess, but the Mauritius guy just so grateful to even included in the Olympics.

13. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    Where do they find these commentators? Especially the filipino lady. So annoying.

14. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

the biggest scandal has to be Lance Armstrong cover up until up to 7 times, so the Americans are no better either.

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yes.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'm not saying they should exclude those people, but restricting doubles to almost a quarter of competitors is just plain stupid in my opinion. It's very unequal with no justification, in my eyes MD is the most competitive discipline in the sense that lower ranking pairs still have good quality play (other than WS, imop) and can actually beat high ranking pairs sometimes (other than MS, where the top10 rarely get beaten by someone outside the top20).
    I'm all for including players who wouldnt normally see the big stage, but please make it a priority to first include the most competitive ones! After that you can include more athletes from the less competitive disciplines as well and make everyone happy.

17. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Actually that's not true. Doping can increase concentration, decrease nervousness and that would obviously aid technical skills, not only on court, but also during practice in order to gain the skills required.

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I agree. Additionally, someone who says you dont need fitness to play world class badminton obviously has no clue about the sport. Just because it requires a different type of movement and technical/tactical excellence allow you more leeway than in singles...? Actually I'd make the case that anabolic steroids might be more useful in doubles as they're great for increasing strength and explosiveness. In singles one would definitely benefit from those attributes as well, but the cardiovascular stress is bigger, which high-dosed steroids would actually not help with (EPO would, though). Aaaaaanyway. Nobody's saying anyone's doping. Let's try and focus more on the beauty of our sport, because it's not as tarnished as weight lifting or track&field (yet ;))

19. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

As far as we know.