2004 World Junior Tournament...

Discussion in 'World Junior Championships 2004' started by Kelvin, Apr 12, 2004.

1. panhandle

panhandle Regular Member

badminton/volleyball promoter
    The referee below WWC that looks like Cpt.Picard is one of my friends from the island and the big guy to the right that is sitting down (looks like a rugby player) is in charge of the mats. He travels around the world for most of the events.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    China lost their first match of the trip today,

LEE Yong Dae / Park Soo Hee bt CAO Liu / PAN Pan 10-15 15-12 15-7 in WD.

3. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    Looks like the new wave of korean girls might be able to finally put up a challenge against the chinese ladies...finally no more all CHINA WD/WS finals :)

4. saprozeldo

saprozeldo New Member

dear all,

i know i'm new here. but really need to find out if there's any broadcast on TV out there. appreciate any info from anybody.. thanks..

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Dave, Is he the mysterious-looking guy in red jacket sitting on the back row, extreme left? No wonder he's looking after security! :p

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction

I think the lack of response is because the aswer is no ;) .

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Today versus Yesterday

While our friends in Canada are enjoying the proceedings live at the arena, I am watching the live scores in the office and was thrilled to note that our Malaysian youngster, Chong Wei Feng, had just beaten Korean Hong Ji Hoon 15-14, 15-10 in the MS. At least we see one Malaysian entering the QF in a sea of red posed by the danagerous Chinese, especially their No. 1, Chen Ji.

But there is a TIME difference. This is Singapore TODAY, Oct 28 at 11.30 am in my office and the match I talked about was played YESTERDAY, Oct 27 at about 8 pm in Vancouver, Canada. Yet we are witnessing the same thing as if on the same day and time, divided only by geography!

When Canada sleeps in a few hours' time, Singapore will still be pretty wide awake and active in daylight afternoon, although there was a little rain this early morning and the sky is cloudy.

Even as I end this message, I could see the Indonesian WD pair of Greysia Polli/Heni Budiman just winning over the English pair of Heather Oliver and Jennifer Wallwork, 15-5, 15-10.

There is no live TV coverage here but the live scores, courtesy of the internet, at least give us an insight, despite the great distances that separate us. :)

8. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Don't worry Loh. More pictures coming this Saturday. Hopefully someone will be kind enough to bring a DV cam and a tripod too to record some of the games for all BFers around the world to enjoy. *HINT HINT*!!!! :D Come on those of you in Vancouver with a camera..... step up to the plate.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thank you. I'm glad you are really enjoying yourself but we still have no chance to see you in action. When are you going to show up? How about a shot of you pointing to the line, with all eyes on YOU! :D

10. viver

viver Regular Member

That's in the XD event, not WD. ;)

11. 604badder

604badder Member

That's why I hope my fellow BFer's will get shots of me in action on the lines this Saturday. Right wood_22_chuck!!!! *HINT HINT NUDGE NUDGE! * :D

12. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    And even so, both players are still in MD and WD. So, no Chinese players are out of the tournament yet at the quarterfinal stage. And also, the unseeded Chinese pair met the 3/4th seed Korean pair and stretched them to 3 games.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    anyone seen or encounter the coach for the chinese women jr team?

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i got timed out.
    someone mention a mean looking woman wearing red track suit was checking out video camera around the stands. I think it might be her, one mmm.

15. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Wow, the MS final betwen Chen and Gong looked like it was an all-out battle. But the reigning champion finally sealed victory in the 3rd set 17-14! Hehe, these 2 will become the Lin Dan and Bao Chunlai when Lin Dan and Bao Chunlai become the Xia Xuanze and Chen Hong.... LOL

anybody who saw this please give a report!! :D

16. speed78

speed78 Regular Member

Just as expected :) The Chinese Taipei girl CHENG Shao-Chieh has won the WS!!! She's SOOOOOOOO good!!! I feel so sorry for LU Lan and WANG Lin....one lost and one had to waive.:crying:

#136 speed78, Oct 30, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  17. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Good for women's badminton. Could Cheng be Mia and Camilla's successor to challenge the Chinese women's great wall? :rolleyes:

18. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    ^^ LOL, actually u could say 4 teams if u count Macao!

But, this victory is definitely an upset and the Chinese Squad are surely shaking their heads wondering how 4 WS in quarters still didn't secure the victory. But then again, at the Junior level, international experience is definitely a huge factor, except in the case of pure natural talents like Chen Jin (who were still able to win gold at age 16). Also, this year, because he played in minor internationals, he was able to thrash everybody in his way, except till he faced his equally-experienced comrade in the final.

19. 604badder

604badder Member

This was a spectacular match! Chen was consistently able to dive to the sides to dig out Gong's smashes, and then control it to within an inch or two of the tape as a drop or cross court drop. Just INCREDIBLE!!! This was one match I thank the powers that be for letting me do the brooms. :)

Gong was given a yellow card for constantly delay and stalling for time. Little things like adjusting his shoe laces, taking a slow lap around, etc.

A interesting thing, these guys don't sweat much. Even though Chen fell on the court many times, and I had the fortune of doing the mopping, there was really hardly a drop on the ground. (Stall tactic perhaps). The chinese XD team on the other hand, boy it was like a shower. They were dripping sweat all over the place, but funny enough didn't ask for mopping. Go figure.

20. viver

viver Regular Member

The Men singles was really an excellent match. Did not expect this game going like this since both finalists were Chinese. Chen Jin today did not play the way he used to show or Gong Wei Jie did not allow him to. Gong played really well today - excellent net control, deceptive clears/drops and lethal cross court smashes. He had Chen Jin running after the shuttle for many periods of time, often using attacking clears to CJ forehand and following with cross courts smashes to the backhand side. GWJ was also efficient at the net using tight net shots forcing CJ to lift.

In the second set, it appeared that GWJ was starting to get tired. He tried to ask to towelling a few times but always refused by the umpire. He was not able to place the shuttle like in the first game and lost. At the start of 3rd game, CJ tried to impose a faster pace but still it was GWJ who was able to control the game. CJ then played longer rallies, clearing a bit higher, lifting high and deep since he did not have a clear advantage in any department. His experience and fitness prevailed as at the end GWJ missed a few crucial cross court smashes.

It was really a very good game, a high level game that is rarely seen here. I have a feeling that GWJ is technically better and should here about this guy more often in the future.