2004 World Junior Tournament...

Discussion in 'World Junior Championships 2004' started by Kelvin, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Rumour has it that the MS was to go three games to put on a good show. :D

It was a great match and the last game could have gone either way.

The MD was very good and in fact, the crowd were pretty quiet until the WS (3rd match of the day) as the first two (WD and MS) were contested between the Chinese players. After that, you get one section rooting for China (Chung Gok Chai Yu" and the other would come back with "Taiwan Chai Yu" :D :D

Cheng (Taiwan) played really well and managed to move the taller Lu (5' 10") around the court to force errors and weak replies. All in all, a very good day of great badminton and spectators.

Except we got volunteers (off duty) trying to sneak onto the VIP area (floor seating)!

Oh yeah, after Malaysia (Tan/Hoon) won the MD, they were hounded by the teenage girls for autographs :D

2. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Oh yeah, before I forget.

I spoke to Lindsey Bell and asked her how she likes Vancouver and if she gets the time, she should do a write up for Badminton Central.

She's actually staying until Tuesday to do some sightseeing before heading home and no, she politely turned me down on the write-up request citing that she doesn't have a lot of free time.

3. viver

viver Regular Member

Don't know about the 3 game thing :confused:. Today just felt CJ did not play up to his standard. His smashes were not sharp - the sound was not as crisp as GWJ's which to me was a surprise. He tried to step up the pace but apparently was not successful. Don't know what went wrong with CJ, but was impressed with what GWJ was able to do.

4. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Chinese team to play exhibition at VRC

Oh, for those who don't know.

The Chinese Junior team will be playing exhibition matches (against the Canadian Junior team and spectators) at the VRC tomorrow from 1pm until 4pm.

5. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    ^^

Oh boy, is that a good thing for Canadian badminton?? We want to improve, not be demoralized! :D

Alex Pang vs Chen Jin!!

6. viver

viver Regular Member

More demoralizing would be having the Canadian national team against these juniors. :rolleyes:

The Korean kids that sweeped last year's Canadian open were here for the Junior World Championships. Unfortunatelly for them in this tournament they did not get any gold medal. The MD event was the closest one for them.

7. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Look at it this way, even the Taipei team probably could whip our adult National team. I mean Cheng Shao-Chieh is ranked number #19 in the world and she's only 19 yrs old.
    :p

8. viver

viver Regular Member

You mean Cheng Shao-Chieh could beat the Canadian National team men players? If so just wait for Cooler to jump at you ;):D:D

We will see a lot of this girl but it would be much harder in the senior level.

9. gossip_lover

gossip_lover Regular Member

While i was watching the ms match today...i seriously felt that i was having a heart attack!...the games were sooo close...and it was excellent to watch...i was going for chen jin (im a very big fan of his-so if u guys find any websites or new bout him, pls let me now :p)...but he didnt seem to play up to his normal standard...he also seemed to be injured...he dived a lot and his back/waist looked to me as if it was hurting...but gong also player very well.....but overall i think cheng jin is the better player...he seems a more 'well-rounded' player...and gong seems to be a 'power' player.....but im really curious as to why chen jin didnt play as well as before...perhaps it was the stress or in the earlier rounds..he played 'easier' players..and today he had to face his own comrade who is a very good player himself..anyways i got a lot of autographs and i took a lot of pictures with the china team (chen jin! and gong!)....im always looking forward to going to the vrc tmr to watch them also!:)

10. gossip_lover

As i mentioned b4..i was running around the arena trying to get signatures..so i missed a lot of the women singles match...but the parts i watched were great...the taipei girl was excellent!...true talent...when i took a picture with her..she was only like maybe three inches taller than me...like 5 ft 2 or somethin...and the fact that shes such a great singles player is amazing.....i felt really bad for lan lu tho....she was like crying at the end of ther match....btw...y did she have a walk over yesterday??...was the other chinese girl injured or somethin?

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Cheng Shao Chieh is no novice. She is a seasoned player, having represented Chinese Taipeh in Uber Cup matches and fought great battles with top players at senior levels. Lu Lan and Wang Lin have never represented China at the Uber Cup level or senior level tournaments, but their turn will come as they have the talent.

12. Nrlll9

Nrlll9 Regular Member

of course he meant men vs. men and women vs. women

but i wouldn't be surprised is cheng shao chieh can beat some canadian men players.. she used to look pretty T, and she went to an all girls school so i wouldnt be surprised if she was

13. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    Anyone has all the final results?

Does anyone has all the final results?

ok, MS goes to China, WS goes to Taiwan, MD goes to Malaysia, and what about WD and XD? Thanks.

Now is Halloween time ... I wonder whether the international players are joining in the fun too. I just came back from work by skytrain and found myself among people who dressed up in costumes.

14. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    WD was China vs. China.

XD - China won over Indonesia

15. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    The Korean kids at this tournament didn't get any golds at the Canadian Open two years ago either. The Korean kids that swept the gold medals back then were not present here. I wonder why too, because they were much stronger than the kids that competed here. Maybe the Koreans wanted these second stringers to get more experience while the first string moved on to the real national team.

16. Nrlll9

Nrlll9 Regular Member

those kids probably became too old

17. viver

viver Regular Member

You should be right as I did not remember their names. Surely the girl that won the singles title was not here. But the one that impressed me most was the Korean girl that played singles in the team finals. She was the youngest (14?) player at last year's Canadian open and was able to beat senior Canadian national players. The difference is :eek: just amaaazing. I believe this girl should be one to watch in the future.

Also the Korean kids that played in the MD finals, one of them just 16 I believe. They should also be a pair to watch, their attitude and skills are just amazing. More good players coming up, it could only be good for badminton.

18. viver

viver Regular Member

Sorry, I was not aware that WWC nominated a spokesperson :D . At least he did not mention it to me when I met him yesterday at the World Junior Championships. :confused:

We know the level of Canadian players and the difficulties local players encounter to improve their technique. It may not be as easy as in some Asian countries.

Cheng Shao Chieh is a very good player. She played very intelligently, is very fast and above everyone else (at least among the girls in the singles event) in terms of experience. Winning the World Junior Championships is not easy - is great for the promotion of the badminton in Taiwan and probably will help to get better support.

But will she find the same opponents in the senior circuit? At least the Chinese girls will not be there for a while as their seniors are still playing. Again my opinion only, the Chinese girls here have shown that they have better basic skills, but as for court intelligence (read experience) Cheng was well above them. It will be interesting to watch how they develop in the future.

19. gossip_lover

OMG!!!!>..this is seriously the best day of my life!!....i know this doesnt have anything to do with this thread...but i dunno where else to put it!!!...i went to the vrc today to watch the china team play against canada's team...and there were raffle tickets on sale and get this: I WON A KASON 109 RAquet!..its model is even higher than the one that the chinese players are using!!!!! i then went immediately to ask gong wei jie and chen jin for their autographs (AGAIN!!!--i asked them so many times...they practically recognize me now...im serious ..when i walked up to chen jin...he already knew that i wanted to ask for his autograph)...man..they r my fav. players...WOOHOO I"LL NEVER FORGET THIS DAY!:) :) :) :) :)

20. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Just to clarify for GossipLover, today an exhibition day was held at Vancouver Racquets Club (VRC) with Team China vs VRC. There were WS, MS, MD, and XD matches. Team China mostly fielded their youngest players, but they were still enough to wow the crowd. They even had their young singles players play doubles etc. *LOL*. Afterwards, anyone in the crowd was welcome to approach the chinese team for pictures or autographs, etc. I got a few myself ;). I forgot this fact, but the coach the jr. team is Zhang Ning's husband, so I got to meet him too. Pretty cool for Canadians who don't get this kind of exposure to international players. :)