2 Knots and 4 Knots

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ants, Oct 30, 2003.

?

how many knots is your rackets strung at?

1. 2 knots

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. 4 knots.

25 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. fancy knots (ie. more than 4 knots)

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    What is the point asking when you said

Sometimes, it is good to give the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt by checking back with them on so-called apparent 'faulty claims'. A dialogue between manufacturer and user is a win-win for all, and will not result in two sets of standards.

I did ask them how they measure their racquet's flex stiffness, but they said sorry they cannot reveal this, as it is an industrial secret.

If yonex can't answer that (which they have all the rights to do so), what is the point if i ask even tougher questions than your.

Standards? LOL, this whole run around postings is because of no industry standard. What yonex have is their own inhouse specs. What does the word 'stiff' mean in quantitative term? Two different rackets rated stiff will have different stiffness between them. These word terminologies are quite vague and have limited value. You can't argue with that one. The racket characteristic in the measurement thread is an attempt to give the user some usable comparison.

Insofar as I am concerned, I accept Yonex's written explanation on the extra stiff flex rating of their AT700

Of course you can accept yonex written explanation and recommendation. Since you use MP99, you should also follow factory recommendation of stringing it to 22 lbs only, and use only BG65/65P/68Ti as prescribed. Are you?

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    As a matter of fact, I string my AT700 20 lbs main/22 lbs cross and my MP99 19 lbs main and 21 lbs cross. I use BG68Ti on my AT700 and one of my two MP99, with the other MP99 using BG85. I have also checked with Yonex on recommended strings for the MP99 and AT700, and the mystery about the 10% higher cross string tension over the main string when stringing on my 4-6 support stringing machine(I didn't ask if it applies to 2-point stringing machine).
    Yonex says my racquets' recommended strings are 65Ti for control players, and 68Ti for hard hitters, and that my choice of 68Ti is appropriate. They also say the reason for their recommended 'standard' range of string tensions for each racquet and the 10% cross/main string tension is to ensure the frame is kept in shape.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Fine enough although over 90% of players out there strings their rackets at higher tension than your. Shame on them:rolleyes:

I don't want to nick pick but i can't help to notice that you've said

*Yonex says my racquets' recommended strings are 65Ti for control players, and 68Ti for hard hitters, and that my choice of 68Ti is appropriate. *

but yet from the 'recommended tension' thread you had posted the following

*1. BG65 : RP=4, S=6, SA=5, C=6, D=8
    2. BG65 Power : RP=7, S=7, SA=6, C=6, D=8
    3. BG66 : RP=8, S=7, SA=6.5, C=7, D=5
    4. BG85 : RP=8, S=8, SA=7, C=7, D=6
    5. BG65Ti : RP=7, S=7, SA=7, C=6, D=7
    6. BG68Ti : RP=9, S=8, SA=6.5, C=7, D=6
    7. BG75Ti : RP=8, S=7, SA=5, C=6, D=8
    8. BG88Ti : RP=7, S=7, SA=6, C=8, D=6
    9. BG33 Tournament(200m) : RP=9, S=8, SA=6.5, C=7, D=6
    10. Cyber Natural : RP=8, S=6, SA=8.5, C=10, D=6

so if bg65ti (C=6) is for control players, why yonex gave control at the bottom of the control scale relative to other strings in that table?

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Well, I am not implying that the 90% of players you mentioned, who use higher tension, are in anyway wrong. I can play with any tension from 26 lbs to 19 lbs, although I have a preference for the lower tension now.
    I don't know how to answer your last question with any conviction. The right people to ask is Yonex. However, I would guess the 65Ti is recommended over the 68Ti on the MP99 and AT700 for control players, is that the 68Ti's repulsion power completely overwhelms its control whereas the 65Ti's repulsion power and control are more balanced.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. I don't think the right ppl to ask is Yonex. I believe, the right ppl to ask is the player himself / herself. It's down to the player to pick his/her best combo to utlize their performance, but not whatever the manufacture print on the catalog.

2. I can't agree with ur RP vs C conclusion either. If that's the case, why Yonex won't suggest BG65, BG88Ti, CBN100, which all have C over RP??? Or, at least BG66, which have better RP and C vs BG65Ti? To me, I think yonex come out with their so call "recommendation" is just base on survey result from testers (i.e. a fairly small group of elites, sponsors, etc), and might also add into marketing factors.

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

1. My answer to Cooler on this part was in response to his question on why Yonex seems to contradict their own string ratings, that inspite of BG65Ti having lower control than BG68Ti, why are they recommending Bg65Ti for control players on the MP99 and AT700. I cannot answer this for Yonex, simply because I am not Yonex, although I did try to guess why they did what they did, which could be wrong.
    I do agree with you that each player has his or her own preference for different strings/racquet combinations.

2. When contacting Yonex, I had to provide them with the country I am residing in and telephone no., as well as the racquets and strings I am using. As you may know, BG88Ti, CBN100, BG65Power, and BG75Ti are not officially sold by Yonex in Hong Kong, so Yonex's reply was probably in the context of their Hong Kong market.
    However, as a matter of curiousity, I will ask Yonex Japan why BG88Ti, BG65, BG66 and CBN100 are not preferred over BG65Ti for control payers using MP99 and AT700, inspite of the fact that all these strings are rated by Yonex as having better control.
    You must bear in mind titanium racquets may play better than non-titanium racquets when both are strung with titanium strings, as implied by Yonex.

I suggest that if you have any question on Yonex racquets, strings and others, you could contact Yonex Japan. Go to www.yonex.co.jp, hit the 'contact us' column, then select badminton to go to the email page. Maybe, if they receive enough useful input from our forum members, Yonex might be persuaded to incorporate some ideas from this forum. Also, by contacting Yonex you can hear straight from the 'horse's mouth.

7. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    the problem is yonex marketing and promotion has done such a great job for its brand name/image that any faulty/defective/inferior/etcetra equipment bearing the yonex logo is most likely to be regarded as a fake/clone/whatever by the general public than any other possible conclusion.

yonex isnt always right and all that they do isnt always in the pure direction of science, tech and R&D. most often profits, sales, and marketing play important roles in the organizations actions as well.

:D :D :D :D

8. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

i string from 17 to 30lbs. 2 knot cause its so much easier and faster. crank system. use to do 4 knot, nothing wrong just find it slower. there are alot more important factors than 2 knot or 4 knot pattern in quality restringing.all the little details :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    :D:D:D

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Perhaps you can educate mere mortals like us on "...a lot more important factors than 2 knot or 4 knot pattern in quality....all the little details", covering good stringing practices and the logic and rationale. Who knows, you may have some sound ideas that can teach Yonex a thing or two. :) :rolleyes:

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Jug8man, I am sure, with your not inconsiderable stringing experience (2,000 racquets), you are aware that 1-piece 2-knot stringing places more stress on a badminton racquet than 2-piece 4-knot stringing. Maybe you have found a way that eliminates this 2-knot stringing stress on badminton racquets? :D

11. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

just want to add that i have very-very low 'dissaster' rates stringing up to 30lbs 2 knots, 2 point crank system. goes to show all this rule should most likely effect racquets perhaps over the 30lbs mark. but quality of the racquet frame comes into question as well.

may i point out that at 30lbs the racquet is more likely to be injured from 'pull through' (where the string penetrates the surface) rather than warping/cracking so based on my experience 2 knot vs 4 knot difference not a valid issue to bother a stringer/player.

i did not say "2 knot quality in pattern" but i said quality restringing.... means quality service.

Quality service defined here as : lots of tlc, all the small details in the process, the some 'what not to do's, speed in service (important), without compromising tension quality and frame durability/shape/etc, and most important: consistency in product. im sure some production line manager would agree with me here.

pls dont take my post as trying to be superior to all. its just after all this time behind the counter i needed a little bit of release. stringers are human too you know.

and yes yonex has nothing to learn from me but from all the feed back the general public gives. im just a channel for a small amount of these ppl. bcoz they come back and complain to me and not write letters to yonex
    :D:D:D:D

12. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

im not trying to put down yonex but at the end of the day each organization have multiple leves and departments. they dont always share the same objectives and are not always on the same page.

if yonex sole purpose is to develop the sport, why are the latest racquet showing a soar in prices. because somebody has to pay for R&D cost and their overhead. production cost of an armortec is pretty much the same as most of its clones.

i close this post by saying yonex have done great things for the sport, but they are still a profit based organization, and they would do great by listening to feed back more especially highly objective/quality quantitative observations data such as those shared by cooler.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Thank you Jug8man for your kind words, the most appreciative feedback I ever received, especially coming from a fellow experienced stringer like yourself. What u have said above is quite correct, the quality lies within the difference between a self thinking stringer and a go-by-the-manual or go-with-pass-me-down-instructions stringer. Yes, it's the little things here and there, attention to detail that most clients don't recognize while experienced stringers do. I have gave example before as to how stringing is like baking or cooking, the quality difference is still obvious even if different bakers or chefs start out with the same ingredients. The multi-thousand dollars oven used in spitting out cakes for the supermarket are most impressive just like a $10,000 babolat stringing machine that can help stringers string faster with less error. However, some small bakeries still exist because some people know and still appreciate the superior quality from an experienced baker using a small and very simple antiqued oven.

Of course quality means different things to different players. To me, tension consistency is a given, frame shape retention is a given. Just like u, very very low disaster rate is what i mostly use to measure quality for my own reference, even tho the clients are not aware of this. When i see a racket that i have done came out as a winner in a clash, i feel good because the method used for that racket, for that string, for that tension, had worked, although clients just thot of it as luck which i dun deny them because it's just one incident for him/her, he/she doesnt know about all other clashes of rackets that i have done which also came out as winners in clashes. Another quality i measure for myself is string longevity.

PS: i hope i didnt offended other stringers here. Stringing experience comes with time and i'm sure all stringers can meet users expectation. Just some are more serious about its technicality;)

#53 cooler, Jul 30, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2004
  14. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

wow ive been gone a week and look what happened.
    the forum even seem to have discovered a new source of renewable energy. wow.
    http://www.badmintonforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17063&page=7

lol dude.
    but regarding the comparisons to bakers, i'd actually prefer to imagine myself as a fugu chef :D
    life and death dude. LOL
    this seems to motivate me a little more every day when im starring down another pile of racquets to be strung :D:D:D

15. simonf90

simonf90 Regular Member

how to define the knot number??? :confused:

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

look at the stringbed, and count the number of tied knots

17. simonf90

simonf90 Regular Member

Thanks Cooler :)
    Mine has 4 knots

18. Nget Khar

Nget Khar Regular Member

IT
    Yonex Thailand string 2 knots for AT800 and mp99

Surprisingly, I have found out that official yonex shop in Bangkok, Thailand string my new AT800s and MP99 with one piece 2 knots. According to discussions in this forum and official stringing instuction for AT800, I am desire to have a 2 pieces 4 knots for my new AT800s. So, I made a complaint and the lady
    manager/owner unwillingly restrung for me. But only for ATs not to MP.

The point is: Why is this happening? Should Yonex be training their staffs consistently throughout the world? or This 2 vs.4 knots is not the big issue?

Nget Khar

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    There are only 2 reasons I can think why they prefer 2 knots method:

1. save time
    2. save string

20. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

dont worry to much about the method. place more importance on wether the stringer handling your racquets really knows what he's doing. a racquet strung well is a racquet strung well no matter what method used.

IMHO this 2 vs.4 knots is not a big issue.