Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. avengers88

avengers88 Regular Member

Samsud, are the racquets all the same weight ? As in they are all 3U ? Voltric80 is 89g maybe that's why im unable to produce much power as it is pretty heavy. Yeah i am kinda interested to get the MX80 and BS12 also lol. But oh boy, they are all pretty expensive.

2. samsudd_s

samsudd_s Regular Member

clerk
    Nope..mx80 is 4u, the rest is 3u.but it is not because of weight alone...i talk on total packages offered by those rackets. I am lucky to have them in my custody..and never sold them as when i grew up to be more excel player, i can utilise them perfectly. They are superb rackets, with different characteristic for different people imho ;)
    and atm, mx 80 is my go-to :)

3. avengers88

is it not too light that the MX80 is 4U ? it should be like 83g ? Im afraid i cant produce enough power if it is too light.

4. avengers88

And how does the weight of the racquet affects our gameplay? At first i thought all racquet are normal weight till i realised there are lighter ones. LOL ! I am not that strong, so maybe the lighter one should be suitable for me but I would like to know the difference first :)

5. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    @avengers88

2U = 90 ~ 94.9 grams (YY Carbonex Series)
    3U = 85 ~ 89.9 grams
    4U = 80 ~ 84.9 grams
    5U = 75 ~ 79.9 grams (Carlton Air Blade 33)

IMO 2U are too heavy and 5U are too light
    and for normal rackets I like to use 3U (even balanced BP +/- 290~295 mm & medium stiff)
    and for head heavy rackets (BP 296~300++ mm) with very stiff shaft such as SW35, YY Armotec and Voltric series I would prefer 4U version

6. avengers88

Is LCW racquet 3U or 4U ? Oh he certainly has the strength to pull it off.

7. samsudd_s

samsudd_s Regular Member

clerk
    Frankly,we must build up the muscle if we really want to achieve higher level,beside improve the technique. Otherwise, the racket will be the excuse and hold our true potential imo.LCW training is not only in court, but in the gym as well.that's why i sign up for fitness gym and it really helps to my strenght.

8. avengers88

Yeah true, I'll train for a bit and see how the VT80 suits me. Or else I might consider getting a 4U MX80 :) Would really like to progress in badminton.

9. samsudd_s

samsudd_s Regular Member

clerk
    :) personally, i want to play with vt80 at all time...dunno about others but i do really love yonex vt80 for its sentimental value...no matter how much i like to play mx80 or BS, sooner or later i want my last standing racket is vt80.:D

I must train my muscle and strenght harder...save last for the best! :D

10. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Played again this weekend. 4 games of mens doubles (with old rules of 15pts). Lost the first game (3-15)...just out of sync with partner (who also has a new racket VT70) and too many unforced errors. The next 3 games we dominated (15-11, 15-10, 15-8). My partner still couldn't time his smashes well so he let me do it whenever I had the chance.

As I said before...better smashes, drives, and clears (probably due to the racket being head heavy). I did start to feel the burn (and getting tired) in games 3 and 4. I noticed that when up front...I was not holding my racket up as I should...so have to train my brain to keep it up.

Gonna play mens singles soon. I'll post how that goes.

Definitely happy with the purchase. I want to get a secondary singles racket for when I lose stamina (ie. MX70?) and maybe a couple more rackets for pure doubles (ie. Arc10, BS12). Got bills to pay so maybe I'll be buying a new racket once a year.

11. druss

druss Regular Member

Off topic a bit but... based on your scores it seems you're still playing the older 15 point system. Just wondering if there is a reason why?

12. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    My friends and I grew up with the old system. Never bothered to learn the new 21 point system. And we play with our wives as well. So trying to get everybody to learn a new system may be a bit confusing (at least for a few sessions). It's fine the way it is. Only drawback is that sometimes games last too long. But it's all for fun and a chance to get some exercise.

I'll ask them if they want to change it up...but I need to memorize the 21 point system first and teach them all for the next couple of sessions.

13. druss

druss Regular Member

It's actually very easy and IMO easier to keep track of as well. It also makes every rally important so the pressure is always on since you win points on every rally regardless of whether you serve or not.

14. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    I find the 21 point system more fun and intense than the 15. With the old system, I would always tend to hold back when we had the serve and tried trick shots or other weird crap. With 21 system, it's always all out!

15. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I actually prefer the old system. When we play social, we play old scoring system to 21. It's my preferred way to play because I feel that although it lacks a certain 'logic', it does mean that when you win a point, you unequivocally win a point. The old system is also better for tactical players, and also beginners because if you mess up a serve you don't lose a point. You can also take more risks so it's a good way to grow as a player. The new system favours power players and fast games, which might be good for getting games over and done with as quick as possible, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned.

For competition it's all the new system here which is a bit sucky, but it's not too difficult to adapt to.

16. Tamagi

Tamagi Regular Member

Hello all,
    Just got my VT80 from a restring, and the frame looks a little rounder than it was before. Or it may just be an optical illusion…
    Now, the distance between the left/right outer frame at the 10th cross (from bottom) is 203mm. It's 200mm on my Ti10. Could someone measure theirs? Thank you for your effort.

[​IMG]

17. samsudds

samsudds Regular Member

Engineer
    wut purpose for this measurement? may i know...thx

18. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    I've measured mine without strings it is 200 mm across
    maybe you should lower the tension about 2 lbs at the main / vertical
    for example main / vertical 26 lbs
    than the cross / horizontal should be strung at 28 lbs
    that will avoid your frame being too round

ooops sorry I thought this is MX80 thread :p

19. Tamagi

Tamagi Regular Member

200mm is for your MX80 right? :p
    @samsudds : just to know it the frame has become rounder and if such is the case, restring it. They come at a very high price in France, so some care is needed :)

#799 Tamagi, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  20. agozz

agozz Regular Member

IT
    first time today using my new vt80 (4uG5) with bg66 ultimax.. straight 8 games doubles..
    feel a bit heavier compare to my beloved ns9900..
    feeling far different compare to ns9900 which vt80 got more power in smashing..
    however, defense a bit difficult to return the fast powerfull smash.. with ns9900, defense a bit more easier..
    overall.. i guess i need more hours to get used to this new weapon.. :)