The BC chamber of stringing horrors

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Aug 2, 2016.

1. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

You're absolutely correct on that theory why those ugly knots happened. The string snapped ( remember that i reported this recently in one of the threads here) and to my surprised he managed to "fix"it. Although he did fix it but in the most sloppy way and he was still kind of proud with it

On the subject of missing u-grommet, it was another racket, the newly bought AX88S. So yea, he did a very fine job of screwing with not one, but 2 of my rackets, something no one did before to me

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If he had managed to combine all these horrors in one single string job, I guess he would have immediately deserved the BC Stringing Horror Award '18. :)
    On the other hand that shows that it wasn't just one bad hour but that he generelly doesn't seem to care about the quality of his jobs. Go to a different stringer and warn your friends and club mates. I wonder how many rackets he has already slaughtered during his stringing career.

And by the way, there is NO WAY to "fix" a snapped string in a good way. The rest of the job will have lost so much tension, it is impossible to even remotely get it back at an acceptable level. So in future, if any stringer is suggesting to "fix" a string job, then stop talking to him, turn around and look for a different one. Personally, I loath doing those sloppy repairs and only do it if my client forces me to. And luckily, most of them understand the problem and agree to get a completely new string job after explaining the thing with the tension loss. And as of yet, there is only one lady left in my club who is resistant to any advice there. :confused:

#262 s_mair, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    ucantseeme likes this.
  3. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Maybe he made a demonstration video for Youtube where he shows what you can do wrong?

I think he has a bad stringing machine and no idea. I hope your new racket didn't get permanently damaged. Regardless of all the mistakes you saw directly.

4. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Problem with some cheaper rackets is that normal grommets won't fit them; I had that issue before and couldn't string the racket as a result. Grommets were cut through, very difficult to remove (ended up destroying them to get them out), and then it turned out normal grommets wouldn't fit. Although, upon learning that I tried 3 sources to find the correct sizes, and when I couldn't, I had to admit defeat and apologise to them for what had happened, returning their frame unstrung.

I've found that at the very least, this issue also occurs Ashaway, Carlton, and made-in-China YY (tried to replace single grommets in U position on a Nanoray 9 and had to reinsert the old ones).

I'm using the RKEP grommets that easily fit better rackets like the 50 E-Tune, N90 etc. without any issue. I suspect the stringer ran into this same issue, but rather being smart and contacting you, holding their hands up and saying "This is an issue I can't fix, I'm really sorry", they just went for it. Judging by the fact they're willing to *patch a new string job*, I'd say they aren't willing to face mistakes well.

I've been asked if I could patch a string job before and I've refused, explaining to them that it is absolutely not worth doing as it won't be even, tension won't be there properly, and the string will likely snap elsewhere. It's just not worth doing. Maybe in the old days when people played on 18lbs of tension with gut, but we expect better now.

5. badmintony

6. vincedba

vincedba Regular Member

dba
    @badmintony out of curiousity how much did you pay for that stringer? ;)

7. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

[​IMG]
    1. the round mini file will just work fine and save you a couple of bucks for extra strings.
    2. yes those grommets in Ebay works for most of the rackets except special continuous grommets like VTFZ2, JS10 etc.

8. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Just use anything flat and push the grommet from the inside of the frame and it will pop out. For shared I use just about anything and do a left right twist motion till it pops up slightly (always works in one try). You can also grab it with a nose pliers from the outside and yank it out of the shared grommet hole.

The 88 you have will require a standard 2.1 single pass grommet. You can order normal U-Short grommets for the missing second u grommet from MBS or buy it locally.

http://www.mybadmintonstore.com/sho...th=25_62_150_152&products_id=241#.WvJOWqSFOUk

If you want original YY grommets for U holes, you will have to purchase AC-416W. Mail from Japan is sent by EMS so it's very quick. If you want them right away that'd be your best bet probably. They do take a bit to reply back and quote the price so be patient.

Chitosesports link for AC416W:
    https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/chitosesports/item/ac416w/

Shuttlehouse link for AC416W:
    http://shuttle-house.com/new-cgi/item_cart-en.php?mk=YONEX&hid=AC416W

badmintony likes this.
  9. badmintony

Something like $5? I have the string so i just paid him for the labor.

10. badmintony

Sweet swsh, thanks. Yea, anything flat to push the grommet out, duh on me
    That would've been more affordable than any other tool☺ my next question if ever qould be, how to safely place the u-grommet into the holes.

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

There's no magic needed really. Just insert both parts and push it in. There shouldn't be much resistance.

swsh likes this.
  12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Oh, and do you have a link where this tool is sold?

13. badmintony

14. badmintony

Cookies for you too. I'll try my very very best to do that. Hopefully my AX88 won't explode into several pieces.

15. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Just pop it in. Get a piece of string and make a few circles without much force in the grommet hole if you wish to clean gunk from that hole where the stringer messed up. No real force required but it will clean it so you don't have any resistance whatsoever when sliding in the u grommet.

You won't / can't cause any damage to it at this point through this. San Andreas, California huh? 1 Hour 58 minutes from there to Mr. Alan Kakinami's shop. Seems worth the trip to me since I also spend 1 hour 30 on my way to my stringer.

Plus a stringjob by someone like him. Whew.

16. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

s_mair likes this.
  17. badmintony

Well how i wish i can personally have my racket strung by the legendary kakinami. That would be like feeling a real bwf player for me I'm not from california. San andreas is my all time favorite grand theft auto video game

18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Currently I'm using a simple wood screw to pull out the grommets. Works fine, but it would be nice to have a handle on it. For those 10€, I think I will give it a try too.

ucantseeme likes this.
  19. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    For grommet service I use a set of thin screw drivers (for clock maker) a sharp knife with a thin blade (Sanremnu or small blade of my Victorinox EDC) and the old wood screw (made a handle with athletic tape). Never came across any grommet with these tools, which was unable to remove within a few seconds.

swsh likes this.
  20. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I don't string and here I am using the YY grommet removal tool XD

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk