LCW whitewashed LD

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2009' started by X Ball, Mar 15, 2009.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Badminton: Chong Wei must set sights on winning a major crown
    By LIM TEIK HUAT
    PETALING JAYA: Lee Chong Wei holds an impressive record of reaching the final all but once since his silver-medal winning effort in the Beijing Olympics last August.

But unlike arch-rival Lin Dan of China, Chong Wei has yet to bag a major tournament. And coach Misbun Sidek said that the world No. 1 must now strive to achieve this goal.

In eight final appearances, the 27-year-old has won thrice — in the Super Series Masters Finals last December, the Malaysian Open in January and the just concluded Swiss Open.

The only blot was a semi-final defeat by former Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia in the French Open last November. But Misbun felt that Taufik is now the least of Chong Wei’s concerns. He beat the Indonesian in two consecutive tournaments — the All-England and Swiss Open.

He said that it was no surprise that Chong Wei turned the tables on Lin Dan to regain the Swiss Open title he last won three years ago.

“I am not surprised because he found a way to neutralise Lin Dan during the All-England. But it did not work out then as he followed Lin Dan’s attacking pace and started to get tense when he could not break through,” said Misbun yesterday.

“I kept in touch with him in Basel and told him not to rush into things when playing against Lin Dan, who plays a fast attacking game and has a very high element of surprise.

“But he lost the tactical battle when Chong Wei started to engage him in long rallies. That is when he got frustrated and began making mistakes.”

Misbun was unable to be with Chong Wei in Basel because his wife was ill.

He hoped Chong Wei would apply the experience he gained from his outings in Europe for his next big assignment — the world championships in Hyderabad from Aug 10-16.

“Chong Wei has made the final in all four Super Series events he played in thus far this year and this is no ordinary feat. He would not have been able to achieve this if he was unfit. He has showed that he is ahead of the rest of the top players except for Lin Dan.

“Taufik is not the same player who won the Olympics title in 2004 while Peter (Gade-Christensen) has made Chong Wei the benchmark for him to gauge his performance.

“After this, Chong Wei has to aim to try to beat Lin Dan in a major event. It is going to be hard to beat Lin Dan when he is fully focused on the task in a big tournament. But Chong Wei must not give up.”

Lin Dan boasts of a collection of one Olympic, two world championship and four All-England titles but an Asian Games gold medal is missing from his cabinet.

The Chinese will be gunning for a hat-trick of world championships gold in August and the bet is on whether Chong Wei can stop him.

Yesterday, Chong Wei left for Hungary to play an exhibition match and will return on Thursday

2. jaydee

jaydee Regular Member

Any comments like LD did not give his best, giving LCW face, this Swiss SS is not important for LD, he target bigger tourneys... etc is totally bullz...

As a sportsman, you WANT to win all matches and do your best to win it (If you're fit enough). Else, don't call yourself a professional sportsman/ or just don't participate altogether.
    If you do participate, you are out there to WIN! Nobody participate to lose!

I think LCW played good this match, as he have the proper tactics against LD this time. I'm sure LD will go back and replan his tactics too.

We know the same game play doesn't work on professional players twice. As we can see even Peter Gade beat LCW at the Korea Open with right tactics, then Taufik got Peter at the AE, LCW got Taufik again etc etc.... All of them are good players too..

Nobody knows if LD or LCW changed their tactics at every touney when playing with each other, just to confuse each other... And I believe that at their level, they also depend on their 5 - 10% luck which is enough to beat the other. I can say LD is more luckier than LCW most of the time. Maybe his house got a better 'feng sui' or something who knows? (lol!)

I am a LCW fan, but I can say no Doubt Lin Dan is a fantastic player when he's on fire..
    Frankly, LCW is also is as good as him in many ways.

Lin Dan has an attitude (pls don't deny, LD fans)... when things doesn't go his way, he'll get frustrated and become impatient, showing his anger and stuff... thats one of his weakness.

For LCW I think when things doesn't go his way he tends to do alot of mistakes/ weak mind..

And overall at this level, I think LD has a stronger mind and luckier, and LCW is working on the mind thingy.. on the luck thing, nobody can help... Rest of the small parts we see it in their tactic, coaches etc etc..

Just my 2 cents here.. :cool:

End of the day, I would like to join some of the rest and say Malaysia boleh to LCW. (Pls don't mix this up with politics bullz etc..)

#222 jaydee, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  3. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I think Misbun just deflated the Boleh celebrations.

4. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Again, Pemuda. Not really.
    Misbun boosting up Chong Wei and we do know that.

Don't la downgrade us sangat.

5. jaydee

jaydee Regular Member

Friend, I won't take it in a negative way... Remember, he is a National coach... LCW's coach... He is just stating the facts... :cool:

6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

No worries here. Pemuda's or lack of Pemuda's comments don't affect LCW's progress.

I think it is wonderful LCW managed to find his game to beat LD, despite it being a 'lesser' tournament.

LD DID play aggressively in the beginning - so those people who hinted LD was not at his best are spinning their stories. LD became tired after LCW kept returning the shuttle deep. There was hardly a chance to smash, and if LD had tried to smash, he would have lost much sooner. LD HAD NO CHOICE but to play LCW's game. If you disagree, too bad, it shows you know nothing about badminton.:D

7. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Actually what I don't understand is why can't Super Dan change his tactics when things were not going his way? I mean with his experience of being OG, WC(2x),AE(4x) champion;that's 7 major titles' experience against an opponent with none?

8. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

:eek: Brilliant question ! That will get most of them stumped.:)

9. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Yes, as the National coach he is reminding the winning shuttlers to keep their feet grounded as there are bigger challenges ahead. Misbun is well aware of the tendency of our shuttlers winning one title and then losing their head/s and then come crashing back down later on.

10. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant

Isn't it a wonder, for someone called Master Dan with excellent abilities to read this, read that, execute this, execute that (on court)... ;)

11. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Err... LD consistent meh?

12. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Sure he can, just he not interested to wins it, SO, just a not so important tourney....

Remember ! he is badminton God,...he has all the abilities, play to win, play to lose is not a problems to him. :D:D

13. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    I'm so surprised that u couldn't figure out the difference here. :eek:

Unlike somebody, Misbun puts thing in a more encouraging way by reminding/warning LCW not to get big-headed after winning the Swiss as the main goal is still the coming World Championships. :rolleyes:

14. jaydee

jaydee Regular Member

Yup, in a way its true... Need to work more on our consistency too.

Chill mate, everybody has downs sometimes, even Master Dan..... nobody's perfect... :)

*chuckles* :D

15. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Let just say I am not surprised you are confused.

But good point on that 'encouraging way'. I like the molly cuddle mentality. :D

16. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Even his coach thinks he is not as good as LD?:confused::confused: Where is he supposed to get confidence from then?

17. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

like that we are very difficult...if ppl say lcw is as good as ld, then, they will be called Boleh Fans....

Now, ppl learn from mistake, say he is not that good...then, you said not right...

Wow, really difficult to please all ppl....:p

#237 Louisa, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  18. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

:D:D:D, he is good at Paw....he is not Prof like you....You are the only one aware of what is happening....we all...drunk in Malaysia Boleh chant...:p

19. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Oh come on Louisa, sweetie dont throw all your toys out now. What is this drunk in Msia boleh chant? Come on.

Ok, tell you what, let me retract back what I said about LCW and co. All happy now? No more being drunk thingy?

You be on your way now and nightie night, sweetie.

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

So what are major titles? Major titles are what LD decides to win and may change from year to year. Last year,AE was not but SO was. Also don't forget Thai Open was the major title because the CHN Olympic team invaded it.It was major because it was the dry run for OG08.No other top non-CHN players were there because they don't know how to focus on major titles like Thai Open.