Yonex Stringing Pattern

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Neil Nicholls, Jul 20, 2004.

1. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    I think this will answer the question on Yonex's stand. I sent an email to them bout stringing pattern and reccomended tensions and this is what I got back.

Attached Files:

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Fend, I think the Yonex stringing pattern you have shown is from Yonex in the U.S., which I believe has been updated. I really question if the Yonex pattern in the U.S. has been cleared with Yonex Japan HQ. For the latest Yonex stringing patterns for AT800 and non-AT800 Yonex racquets, you should check with Yonex Japan Head Quarters, which recommends a different pattern. Yonex hands out a large stringing pattern handout to their dealers, which is printed in Japan. You can get your dealer to show you.
    It really doesn't make sense for the last main string at bottom of grommet 12 to make such an extraordinarily long loop to grommet 6 to tie the knot, does it? :confused:

3. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    mmm. Yeap.

So now an email to yonex jp. Now if I can only type japanese....

lol

Cheers. I'll email them after translation

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    problem is knowing how many extra lbs for each case since not all rackets have same grommet type, or have MP bumps. Also, bg66 will behaves differently than bg70 on every 2nd pull. There are more variables that i won't list here.

5. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    the thing is i have experimented up to increasing 3 lbs on the center of the mains when starting from the middle. the thing is the center still 'runs' more compared to stringing from end to end even tho the lbs used for this is constant for this method.

so to clear my find, assuming everything else equal, stringing from end to end achieves higher tensions for the center of the mains. this is something im sure many of my customers look for in the stringing of their racquets.

> this is just my personal find. as again would like to know if others share the same find or otherwise.

> just let a secret out of my bag of tricks. oh nvr mind. i still got plenty to keep my trade going :D

> the reason for this is something i call tension compounding. i'll leave it to you all's imagination. for me i've said too much already

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Who says you have to email them in Japanese? The International Division of Yonex in Japan can and do communicate in English.
    Please contact them by email at : inquiry@www.yonex.co.jp. You are free to ask them anything, as they welcome all inquiries. :D

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think it's a "traditional" pattern generated by yonex some time ago, and even some string machine manufactures (i.e. Klipper) still use it as the general guide lines.

Personally, I tie off the knots on B7 instead of B6. :)

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

your compounding tension = progressive tension? (which was much discussed here already)

9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I would guess not, because if you string from side to side you have to alter the tension up and then down (takes more time)
    From centre outwards you only have to alter the tension down (half as many changes)

10. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

sorry dudes. i dont mean progressive tension @ altering tension.

it has just got to do with why IMHO stringing from end to end is tighter in the center mains compared to starting from the center itself.

what i mean is this 'compounding tension' is not a technique but a phenomenon' that happens when you string. it happens with both methods of starting from centre and from the end to end but the benefits is less for starting in the center. there's a logical expalnation for this which i think experienced stringers should be able to figure out by know or already know of it.

im saying too much again............

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i asked because everybody has their own words or terminalogies in referring/explaining something similar, that's all.

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

There are some basic fundamentals about string tension that we must not forget. Longer strings will lose tension more, which means that one-piece stringing will lose tension more than two-piece stringing. The tension loss is due to tension creep at the molecular level, and the longer the string the greater the loss. This is why longer-head racquets, with their longer strings feel looser than smaller racquet strings if both are strung at the same tension; they also have more power than the old rounded-head racquets because of the looser feel of the strings. You should actually string longer-head racquets at a slightly higher tension than the smaller rounded-head racquets, if you want to have the same playability.
    Also, if you hold the pull a little longer when stringing, you will have slower tension loss than cranking fast even if both techniques use the same tension. Also, if you pull two strings when tensioning, you will lose tension faster because of friction. :D

13. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

LOL. and thanks. i searched the progressive tension thing and found a wonderfull thread on it. i've sort of heard of it before with diff terminology and i must say my perception on the practice before finding this thread is negative. however im still reading (it's a pretty long discussion dude!) and im keeping an open and critical mind about what i read b4 i swallow anything (or shoot my mouth off :D ). but so far im pretty sure my compounding tension idea aint the same as progressive tension thingy.

thanks a tonne dude.

#53 jug8man, Aug 19, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  14. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

im wondering if you are answering my question or just stating a bunch of 'facts'?

i assume you are answering my question tho i dont feel you did. as my question is about stringing mains from center compared to stringing mains from end to end.

1) not really talking about tension loss but tension achieved. im trying to say that i find starting from the center the tension achieved in the center is not as hi as from end to end (mains) method. just my find. want to know if others share same find. do you?

also want to point out that for stringing from end to end for the mains, you can do that for both 4 knot and 2 knot so the number of knots is not really a question here.

2) dont quite agree with "Longer strings will lose tension more, which means that one-piece stringing will lose tension more than two-piece stringing".
    one reason being less ends, another being the compounding tension, third being a racquet is an 'interlocking' device and not a single long piece of line. loss of tension on one part will not directly effect another (perhaps the neighbouring line yes but not so the third and so forth)... this is highly debateble tho....

3) "This is why longer-head racquets, with their longer strings feel looser than smaller racquet strings if both are strung at the same tension"
    this is not a strong evidence of tension loss but more of tension achieved. it is only logical that a 10m line and a 20m line pulled with the same force will not share the same tension because a longer line will have a longer 'frequency wave length' thus bouncier feel. im not too sure on this terminology/name.

4) "You should actually string longer-head racquets at a slightly higher tension than the smaller rounded-head racquets, if you want to have the same playability."
    this is very true and is a good tip for players who string their own racquets. however, commercial stringers (like me) IMHO should just string the racquet according to the tension requested by the customer. but thanks for pointing that out.

5) "Also, if you hold the pull a little longer when stringing, you will have slower tension loss than cranking fast even if both techniques use the same tension. Also, if you pull two strings when tensioning, you will lose tension faster because of friction."
    yup.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If you are interested in the official Yonex stringing pattern for AT800 racquets, you can log on to http/www.racket.se/documents/AT800s.jpg, which Twobeers so kindly put together. :D

16. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

sorry taneepak but who are you talking to? coz i dont see anyone talking about AT800 stringing pattern at the moment....?

is it me you are talking to?........ sorry feel very blurr right now.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

This thread is about Yonex stringing pattern. With the introduction of AT800 racquets and its different stringing pattern, Yonex now has two stringing patterns, AT800 and others. As most forum members are quite familiar with the non-AT800 stringing pattern, a guide to the new AT800 stringing pattern, for anyone who is interested, would not be out of place here or would it?. :)

18. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

A 10m line or a 20m line pulled with the same force will share the same tension. When you string a racquet, the length of string you pull is that from the clamp at the racquet to the gripper on the machine. Ignoring the clamp to grommet section, you have the same tension throughout the whole of that length.
    Different lengths will have what I call a different stiffness. This is how much they resist being deflected from a straight line. A shorter string will be stiffer than a longer string. The reason for this , is that a short string has to stretch more than a long string to be deflected by the same amount.

Many of us just say doing this gives more or less of something, but rarely do we quantify it. So here's some calculations...

e.g.
    to deflect a 26cm string by 1cm (at the centre), you have to increase it's length by 0.07681cm, simply according to Pythagoras Theorem. This is an increase of 0.295% of the original length

to deflect a 27cm string by 1cm (at the centre), you have to increase it's length by 0.07397cm, simply according to Pythagoras Theorem. This is an increase of 0.274% of the original length.

So the difference in percentage increases in length between the two is only
    0.021%
    Miniscule. Might as well ignore it.

Increase in length is directly proportional to increase in tension so:
    If you string a round head at 10kg (22lb), are you going to string an ISO 0.02% higher? It only an extra 2 gram !

So if people think there really is a playability difference because of deiffernt length strings, maybe it's some other factor, because I don't think it's the difference in strigbed stiffness. (although I am happy to hear arguments to the contrary)

19. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

yes this is pretty much what i mean...... just that my lack of ability to connect it to the proper term fails me :eek:

and about the calculation thing....... shouldnt the area size be a more viable calculation.

example. assume 1 racquet is 27x27cm. and second is 28x28cm
    area size for 1st= 729cm2
    area size for 2nd= 784cm2
    diff in area size= 7.544%

so if previous tension is 25lbs, the second racquet should be strung at 25lbsx1.07544= 26.886lbs
    an increase of 1.886lbs estimate.
    this does seem like a significant amount IMHO. do correct me if im wrong however.

just a thought........ i normally wouldnt answer these kind of questions in math but this one just poped up in my head while i was reading your post.

cheers.

but i must add 1 thing Neil, to alot of ppl, and i mean ALOT, stiffness of stringbed is sinonym with tension. i would know because my customers check their racquets by how stiff it is. so when they say 1 racquet is stiffer, they say it is higher tension. does this occur at your area as well or is this endemic to where im at?

#59 jug8man, Aug 20, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  20. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

LOL. you are absolutely right.
    but just to clear it to you, i wasnt sure if you were answering my question so i asked to make sure.

cheers dude.