YONEX ASTROX 99 (AX-99)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by konww002, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I only do 4U on head heavies due to injury now.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Hokari likes this.
  2. frostcone

frostcone Regular Member

Anyone tried it with just the original grip? Is the grip like Arcsabers?

#702 frostcone, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  3. Cloud Kim

Cloud Kim Regular Member

After playing 6 hours with the racket over the last two days, my conclusion is that AX99 is even more head-heavy and unwieldy than the ZFII (both 4U). I love the feeling that it gives though. I guess I will keep it, but my main will be the 3U 88S coming in tomorrow. I guess I can play a couple games here and there with this racket.

I do want to note. I had the easiest time with controlled net shots (including hairpins) with the AX99. I have UM66 Ultimax on my ZFII and got the AX99 strung with Aerobite. I never tried Aerobite before, so I don't know how much of what I am feeling is the string, but my God, the control (when I can swing the racket in time) was absolute pleasure.

#703 Cloud Kim, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Kingsley90 likes this.
  4. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I made the right decision to cherry pick.. Its alive!

5. Kingsley90

Kingsley90 Regular Member

I totally agree, Aerobite on AX99 gives the absolute control. I guess it will be at a different feel and performance with BG66 ultimax especially on the smashing compartment. Who have it strung with BG66 ult can give some comment here.

6. magicaluni123

magicaluni123 Regular Member

I can ekko your words.

I went to my store and got a 3U AX99 and my goodness was there a huge difference. They had 8 3Us and out of all of them, maybe 4 of them were head heavy. But it was like 88D head heavy, not like ZF2. 3 felt like even-to-head heavy and 1 was obviously HHer than the others by a long shot. I chose the heaviest one of the 3U and yes... I understand why people say its a sledgehammer. The weight is really concentrated from 10:30 to 1:30 of my frame. Funny enough, it feels easy to maneuver... the shaft is slightly more flexible than a ZF2 - not worlds apart, but slightly noticeable.

But when you swing it, you can definitely feel there is a little something to the flex. I can't describe it - maybe the 88D and S are the same - but the flex comes "snappier." Definitely noticeable coming from a ZF2. I will post first impressions tomorrow - by this time I should have a very clear idea on how well the AX99 plays. For anyone wondering, it is strung with BG80 at 25/27 although I will repost that in my FI.

7. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

I would pick the even balanced one if I were you.

8. magicaluni123

I guess we will found out

9. deepinthemusic

deepinthemusic Regular Member

Sometimes i wonder if bc has been compromised because everytime a new racket coming out theres always few people that hyping everything up beyond logic, like a racket can be the most head heavy racket of all time, and also can be the fastest racket of all time, if i were you i would spend some more time reading other threads (not just about rackets thread) to see someones credibility so i can judge if he/she giving honest opinion or just marketing ploy

DVSC, Lolzprince, dtjovan and 4 others like this.
  10. Michel Aupin

Michel Aupin Regular Member

My 4U is strung with bg66um at 28lbs. Control is so nice, and smash and the sound are just awsome !

tinath and Kingsley90 like this.
  11. Kingsley90

Kingsley90 Regular Member

What color did you strung on it :D I will probably back to BG66um after this :p

Well said !

12. magicaluni123

Ive only played with my 99(3U - BG80 at 25/27) for 2 hours but I know how I feel about it for the most part. I only played with plastics today, so feeling might be a little off, but everything else is pretty much good.

This is quicker than my ZF2*. That is surprising to me because the head-weight of my ZF2 is 42g and the head-weight of my 99 is 43g. My 99 was also 91 grams with string, overgrip + cushion grip combo. My ZF2 is 95~ with the same combo. Both were 3U. But the 99 is much quicker. It is definitely not the ZF2 head-heavy feeling. The weight is definitely more at 10 to 2 o'clock. Less concentrated than the ZF2. I have some packets of Balance Tape ready to go if I so choose to add more weight to the racquet.

Clears and lifts were going out for me, took a while to get it dialed in, but it was much more effortless than ZF2.

Drives were fast and snappy - again, not like the ZF2 - definitely felt quicker

Drops were damn impressive with this racquet - the control of this frame is really good - I don't know if that is from the frame or just the "honeymoon," but it was again pretty quick and snappy.

Smashes I could not get dialed in so I won't comment too much there.

Net shots and cross nets were slightly better due to the increased speed of the frame. I pulled of some crazy hairpins with a plastic bird.

Power was confusing for me. I felt like I lost some "thump" or "oomf" whenever I did smashes, full swing drives, or things of that nature where you wind up big and uncoil. However, I felt more power from lifts, and clears. I don't have a short swing on my clears or lifts at all, but they were pretty good for me. Maybe I just need to get used to the frame and how it reacts. Not sure on power shots yet, but drops, clears, net, drives, and defense were all very efficient. Maybe for power, I need to accelerate more or focus more on placement(I tend to focus on placement alot on the listed shots).

I think I will add some Balance Strips in the future if I get a second racquet. I went to another store just to test our their batches, and going from memory, it felt similar to mine unstrung. One was noticeably HHer than the other racquets in that batch as well. And also, there were 4~ that felt even to head-heavy. Those 4 were very consistent. But the HHer one I got was definitely an outlier - and it doesn't feel heavy. I could be completely wrong as I am talking about balance, but from what I could bring with me, I could only really get a feel for balance and overall weight.

Overall, this is what the 88D should have been for me. I will add some strips to see how it affects my racquet, but not until I get a second one.

*my ZF is modified with 1 Power Balance Strip on each side of the frame from 10 to 2 - changed how it felt compeltely - I will talk about it more if people want to know

13. BadmintonPro

BadmintonPro Regular Member

From the technologies and specs I wouldn't expect AX99 to be a sledgehammer.

14. magicaluni123

There is no way of testing an individual's merit. You have no idea how well I play, my play-style, my weaknesses, my form, and therefore, the value of my opinion is limited to a democratic one, in which everyone's opinion is equal.

15. coolguy82

coolguy82 Regular Member

Pls share pic..debating which color string to use , have to decide by Monday. Also, wondering if aerosonic or bg66um.

16. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    When in doubt just go white.

17. Michel Aupin

Michel Aupin Regular Member

Color Navy... because... That's the only color we had left for bg66um :) Result is fine, I don't mind that much about color, as long as it is not ugly. Will have some bg66um orange soon.

tinath likes this.
  18. BadmintonPro

BadmintonPro Regular Member

I am sorry? I said nothing about opinions or skills.

19. coolguy82

coolguy82 Regular Member

20. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    never settle

[​IMG]