YONEX ASTROX 99 (AX-99)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by konww002, Jul 2, 2018.

1. BadmintonPro

BadmintonPro Regular Member

I admit. I'm 20 percent of a collector and rest of it is for badminton.

2. lostLore

lostLore Regular Member

Well I would assume that a prerequisite for any racquet collector is to be a badminton lover...lol

3. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

With all these technical bazoomas being talked about head weight, swing weight, etc, it will all come down to simply what feels and plays right.

They're good references for choosing a racket though and i understand people who give a big deal about the specs. Even pros would have their concerns about the specs and it's quite a normal behaviour for people who are either casual or passionate about something to bother so much about their tool(s) of the trade.

It kind of annoys me more for people to bother so much about which racket a certain pro player is using and dying to get hold of one in the hope that they would play as good as their badminton demigods

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

lostLore likes this.
  4. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

That would be me xD but not with the hope of playing like Momota. Just want to have the stuff he uses.

And coincidentally AX88D has been my best racket.

When I was using the D10 and the VTZF2, I always found that I get better quality shots with racket of other people and ended saying their racket is good. This is a sign that both the rackets were not good for me.

But now I find that my AX88D feels much nicer and my shots are better especially drops. I don't feel envious of other rackets.

Too bad for me Momota ditched the AX88D for the AX99 :(

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If you apply the same amount of energy or momentum to one lighter and one heavier object (with roughly comparable aerodynamics), the lighter one will always end up with a higher end speed. In your case, the ZF2 is the one with better aerodynamics so the effect should be even bigger the more you accelerate it. If you want to accelerate the heavier object up to the same or even higher end speed, you need to apply more energy in total. Plain and simple. A small extra counter weight which is located right inside your palm (aka rotational generator system) also won't have that much of an effect.

To get proper specs is important for all of us who don't have the luxury of being able to test most rackets before actually ordering it. With a bit of experience and knowledge about your own preferences you know immediately if a racket is in an interesting range or far off. For example, I know by that swing weight data only that I won't have to spend a single thought about orderding an AX99. As said before, no magical NAMD-wand can cheat the laws of physics and lets mass disappear.

Also, when there are so many different and highly confusing user impressions around, it's the simple measured values and facts that help to build up a neutral picture of a racket. And so far, I haven't seen any data that would back up the theory of an extraordinarily huge tolerance range (known as bad QC) in the weight distribution of the racket.

magicaluni123 likes this.
  6. visor

visor Regular Member

Yonex from my experience has much tighter tolerances than some other brands like Victor. So no, there is no mistaking the AX99 as anything other than a sledgehammer...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

esppy and s_mair like this.
  7. llrr

llrr Regular Member

The problem is the 99 is very close to the 88D on the matrix, but nobody ever thought the 88D was a sledgehammer. I'm looking forward to demoing the racquet to figure out what people are talking about :p

8. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    The 88D is a crowbar.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

weingseen, Quentin11 and konww002 like this.
  9. magicaluni123

magicaluni123 Regular Member

This... explains so well

10. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Ok so I had a hit with the demo racquet today. It's 3UG5, 102ex overgrip over original grip wrapped to the top of the cone. I have to say that AX99 feels nothing like zf2. It was head heavy but nothing crazy, very very similar to the 88D. It also feels more flexible than the 88D. The drives were incredibly easy and controlled. Overheads were effortless. Access to power was really quite easy, almost 88S level easy. I dunno how people can think that this thing is a hammer like ZF2, because it certainly isn't. Unless I tested a completely different AX99, then I'm pretty confident recommending this racquet to any advanced level player in singles and/or doubles (I see no reason why it can't be used in doubles). If you have a good technique and can use 88D well, you're going to have zero issues with this racquet.

For me though, this pretty much confirmed my suspicion of the incrementalism by Yonex. I like the racquet, as much as the 88D if not more, but it's no replacement for the zf2. That might have to wait til AX-Z.

Lemollin and Yong like this.
  11. Jonas Lundtoft

Jonas Lundtoft New Member

Someone aware if the AX99 shares the kickpoint of the AX88D @ 3,9 o'clock?

12. coolguy82

coolguy82 Regular Member

So it is not heavier than 88d like many said here? someone posted its close to 90g? where as 88d 4u is 86g. 88s 4u is 85g.

13. coolguy82

coolguy82 Regular Member

My Dilemma right now is to return the 88d (ngb99 24lb @ $195 usd, still in return window) and get 99 instead w/ Aerosonic 22lb? like to play aggressive, intermediate I think.

14. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Maybe you got a 4U? Overgrip up to cone could hide the label. And you wouldn't be the first one who wanted a 3U and got a 4U or vice versa. Could be possible. I don't know the US market, but we in Europe got just the 4U in G5. If I were you I would look under the Overgrip. ;)

visor likes this.
  15. llrr

llrr Regular Member

100% confident I got the 3U. I was referring to the head weight wasn't too crazy, but overall racquet weight basically felt like my 88D before. I'd say around 100g.

16. llrr

llrr Regular Member

It's difficult to say because I didn't weigh just the frame. I tested the racquet that was already gripped and strung. I don't know why others feel like it's such a hammer, but at the same time, remember that the same racquet can feel very different to different people, mainly due to different skill levels and preferences that can't really be measured.

17. BadmintonPro

BadmintonPro Regular Member

Each racquet varies. Even if person one bought a AX99 3U, his or her might weight 89 grams while person two with the exact racquet might weight 92 grams. Because it takes up a lot of time and money , the weight classes were created since it's EXTREMELY hard to make each racquets weight the EXACT same.

18. weingseen

weingseen Regular Member

What IF a 3U is wieldable because for some magical reason, the extra weight is at or near the hane hence the 'not so head heavy' perception? o_O;)

Not sure if anyone have had a measurement on a 3U yet.

Food for thought.

19. Ashtontonic

Ashtontonic New Member

u using 88D 3u or 4u? i'm worry 4 u will be lack of power as i'm using zf2 4u atm, go for 3u?
    I can smash but yeah, shoulder tired and pain after game.

20. Ashtontonic

Ashtontonic New Member

i have the same feeling when i hold it compare with my 4ug5 zf2, according to the retailer in shop, she said if i able to handle zf2 4ug5, should be fine with ax99, i'm kinda dilemma in between 88D 3ug5/99 4ug5 /zf2 4ug5 now...(current zf2 got broken and need a replacement)

Do let us know ur feeling after try it out.