Yonex ALL ENGLAND Open 2018 : DRAW

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Thats why.

I wonder why , now, would people care if Gideon will do how many faults? because he is short? Certainly, in the past he(gideon) also never cared if all the tall players cheat through their services. He also never said it was unfair that he is short while tall players serve as they like ( certainly compared to now, the old services is cakewalk). He still keeps winning the SS. Only losers make up excuses.

For me, the notion of serve makes no different. He (gideon) can serve as tall as he likes whether its the past future and present. If you cant beat him, you cant beat him. Tall players serving 150cm still cant beat him.

You just have to get ready to receive if you are playing badminton. the net is already very high.

ah_lim likes this.
  2. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i agree. it will look strange to many for awhile watching shorter players now serve from a higher point.

i am 1.63m [the same height as takuto inoue, jpn] and i can now serve from my sternum if i want to. it feels very weird so i went back to my usual serving height, about 1.0 m from the floor. being able to raise the level from which i serve certainly doesn't feel like an advantage to me because i've been serving from 1.0 m for way too many years.

the biggest change in fault calls will be on flick serves. i'm sure there will be waaay less faults called and it will make doubles more interesting.

ah_lim likes this.
  3. tukangidol

tukangidol New Member

Agree on this. 1.15m rule are more fair than waist rule. With this new regulation, tall Players no longer have hereditical advantages on services.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

ah_lim likes this.
  4. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

With the new rule in place, can I now say that short players have the natural-born advantage in the service situation, since they don't have to bend down unnecessarily to serve? No, that would be nonsense. It would be akin to saying let's lower the hoop height in basketball because it's not fair to shorter players.

I feel like a lot of people here don't get the purpose of the service height rule, or indeed the purpose of any rule in sport. It is not to take away "hereditary advantages" from anyone. The purpose of almost any rule is to prevent positive feedback loops, to prevent the player in an advantageous position from being able to snowball that relatively small, "local" advantage into a match-winning advantage.

This is why tennis enforces service changes regardless of who won the previous points, because the server has a very high probability of winning the point. It's why soccer continues the game from the center line with the team who conceded the goal in possession, to give a small advantage to the team who just lost the previous point. It's why in badminton the match "resets" to a service situation that's (hopefully) as neutral as possible after each point, where the rules in serving/receiving should ideally give both sides equal chances of winning the next point (it currently favors the receiver very slightly, which is still fine). Whether that ruleset is the old waist rule, the 1.15m rule, or some others, no one knows for sure, but saying that the new rule is better/fairer because it removes the tall players' advantage is ludicrous.

samkool and ah_lim like this.
  5. tukangidol

tukangidol New Member

Actually 1.15m 1.20m or whatever are not the most important. The most important is using standard height measurement. Not waist based. Because every player have different waist height, every player have different "legal" service. For example Minions legal service are tremendously lower than those towers. Illegal for them, legal for taller players. That's not fair. With standardized height measurement, every player have precisely same legal height for their services. Just like precisely legal height for that basketball ring.

#85 tukangidol, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  6. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

Just keep in mind the height is not the only thing that affects how you can serve. Racket angle also has a significant impact. WIth the new rule, racket angle can be very different from tall to short players.

7. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

If we go down this path of reasoning, previously the short players were "treated unfairly", now it's the tall players' turn. Some very tall players now have to bend down unnaturally to serve, which affects both the quality of their service and their preparation for the next shot. Is this "fair" in your view?

To me, the answer is "it doesn't &@%#ing matter" because this should not be a "fairness" discussion in the first place. Rules in sport do not and must not correct for every one of those perceived "inequalities" between players due to natural born traits, and one-size-fit-all rules aren't always better. Increased legal height while serving is but a tiny advantage in the grand scheme of the game, otherwise we'd have seen very tall players dominate especially in MD, which clearly isn't the case.

To be very clear, I'm neither for nor against the 115cm rule. I'm saying that IF this rule change was to "remove the height advantage of tall players", then it's a misguided one. However, if it was done for reasons such as clearer and easier enforcement, then at least there's a discussion to be had.

samkool likes this.
  8. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    true, but it's not the difference maker when it comes to winning a match. If it is you've got much bigger problems with your skill set.

9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yes, to begin with , it doesnt matter where you serve from

you dont win or lose matches because of the serve generally.

10. tukangidol

tukangidol New Member

I agree for the tall Players difficulty. But I also stand on my opinion that standard height measurement are better fairness. I thinj WBF needs to evaluate more for legal height measurement, maybe they should collect all Players heights, count their mean heights, then decided based on that.