Will Lee Chong Wei win the 2013 World Championship?

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by kwun, Mar 29, 2013.

?

Will Lee Chong Wei win the 2013 World Championship?

1. Yes, Lee Chong Wei will win!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, he will lose.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Just curious, has LCW participated in 10 World Championships?
    Anyway, I have also predicted right for all the past editions that LCW would not win which is easier than to predict who would win.

2. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

anyone tracking the results before and after the draws?
    interested to know, if any difference

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

My intuition tells me that Lin Dan's wild card is a blessing in disguise for Lee CW who will be at his best this WC. That's OK, not unexpected as both LD and LCW have always been able to bring out the best in each other. But this time it's different for LD who is no longer as motivated as before after his second Olympic gold.

Actually, I'm more curious about Chen Long's preparation and readiness, not just physically but mentally, whether he has this inner belief that his time has come to assert himself and come out of Lin Dan's and Lee CW's shadows finally. When that happens, and I have witnessed an inkling of it in the way he handled himself in a commanding manner at the last Sudirman Cup, it might well signal the beginning of Chen Long's era.

For Lin Dan,it's a case of when to end his career on a high note despite not having anything more to prove (so it doesn't really matter). For Lee CW, it's a case of desperately making up for lost opportunities again and again (not many left, unfortunately). For Chen Long, it's happily a case of getting ready to announce to the world of badminton - " Here I come ! " - for good.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Now that the draw is out, I'm even more certain to rank LCW, CL and LD in that order to take the crown, objectively speaking. LCW can heave a sigh of relief knowing his two nemeses (as madbad said) will be taking each other out and with nobody likely to trouble him until the final.

Even LYB rated CHN's chances for taking the MS title as 4th behind their WD,WS,XD and just ahead of MD,which is telling, the more so when he only set a 3-gold target. We can say it's all mind games, same for Rashid Sidek's bravado, not to mention LCW's initial whining about LD's wild card which now appears not only self-defeating and counter-productive but also unnecessary in view of the draw outcome.

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i'm from HK immigrated to the states and i like both LD and LCW to win, but unfortunately, it is not possible. i've always wanted to play like LD because he's a lefty and i tried my best to figure his mental game out. however, sometimes i think he goes overboard with his showmanship but that's entirely subjective. i enjoy LCW's sportmanship on the court and he seemed to be the more timid player compare to LD and for once i want him to come out fighting fiercely to the end, and win this upcoming tournament.

i guess LD fans are just the same as LCW fans :)

i agree with the conundrum(sp?) having the best win in the sport, but might be a bit boring. whenever there's a championship final game with the same country representing both sides, i stop watching :(

how come you did not include LYD? just kidding

that's a pretty sad fact

6. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

LCW will take WC13 title, case closed.

7. julianng

julianng Regular Member

Lin Dan would take it....... hands down..... watch out for his robot dance !!!

8. phili

phili Regular Member

He has been at the top for so long without winning the big ones, I can't think of anyone more deserving this title.

9. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Even though I only respect him but not a big fan of him, still think that he deserves to have at least one WC title from badminton point of view, and this year is his best chance.

10. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    He spoke to me in Teochow...he was suprised that we do speak same dialect.
    I was the first one being told by him personally that his father was from Surabaya, played some badminton in Samarinda..FHF needs time to know someone..once he knows you..he is so friendly..he will say HI first before you do...

11. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Don't think LD is in good shape to beat LCW, the closest one able to beat LCW should be CL nowadays. However, the QF between LD / CL may result in an easy final for LCW...

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm more inclined to agree with you. During the mountain running exercise, Lin Dan was slower by 6 minutes longer than before and even suffered two leg cramps, that's for the stamina part. As for his skills, he's more erratic than usual. But what I'm most concerned with is his motivation to win is no longer that high which unconsciously affects how much he really put into his training.

So realistically and objectively speaking, you're right to say only Chen Long stands a fighting chance of beating LCW but to do so for the 3rd time in a row is less likely. Paradoxically,in a way, I'd say Lin Dan's wild card entry serves to push LCW to work extra hard and elevate him to tip-top condition and form which might not be the case if LD is kept out of the WC and leaving only Chen Long as the main threat. Btw, LYB also admitted this WC is LCW's best chance of winning it.

No, I'm not playing reverse psychology, it's just that I consider motivation or the lack thereof as the key factor affecting the performance of champions at the highest level of competition. You know, during the two months comprehensive training at Qingdao, he expressed that he wasn't used to being away from his family who is at Beijing. He reiterated to reporters that family means the most to him now and they will be at Guangzhou to watch him play

13. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Hrm.

If it's CL vs LD in the final, they'll either let the duke it out, or if it's been decided that now is the time for CL to rise to the top, then CL will win.

If it's CL vs LD in a semi (and LCW in the other semi), they'll insist LD wins the semi so he can face LCW.

If LD doesn't have the fitness or motivation, then if it ends up being a CL vs LCW final, I pick CL to win. I just think they've got LCWs number now and know exactly how to play him. It's even possible that LCW may not even make the final - he's had a few shaky games where he just scraped through, so I'd even go so far to say that unless he's totally on top of his game, we may not see LCW in the finals.

It's certainly going to be interesting!

14. julianng

julianng Regular Member

I still think Lin Dan will take this WC, mainly because it's being held in Guangzhou.... and also because CL and LCW are just not as good as Lin Dan in my opinion....

CL is kind of slower than LD whereas LCW lacks the height, power smashes, and longer reach that LD has.....

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Still finding it somewhat hard to believe that 61% of those who voted think Lee Cw will not win this WC. Especially now that the draw is out, his chances should increase considerably.

I'm not talking about our personal wishes but based on an objective as possible an analysis of their respective current situations, I still believe Lee Cw has the best chance to take it. First, Lin Dan is clearly off his peak and at the most vulnerable time of his career. Second, Chen Long may have beaten Lee CW twice in their last two encounters but I feel that he has not yet significantly surpassed Lee CW the way Lin Dan has.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

While training in Hong Kong, Lee CW has spoken to the reporters:" Olympic gold is what I want most in life, if not too much injury, I will persevere until 2016 Rio Olympic Games."
    http://sports.qq.com/a/20130803/001749.htm

17. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    I agree with those who say Lin Dan will win again as he is the best ever and can upped his
    game anytime. The close matches with LCW are because LD purposely pace down his game,
    and sometimes he lost matches on purpose too.

18. dohdoh

dohdoh Regular Member

LOL ^ Lin Dan Fangirl right here.
    If he allows LCW to go up 19-18 in the 3rd set of the Olympic gold medal match in order to "pace down his game", then Lin Dan is either an idiot or has a gambling problem. Both of which isn't the case.
    Objectively speaking, LCW should be the favourite to win this year. But then again no one knows how good LD is right now, and the psychological aspect needs to be taken into account; although I think that LCW has matured and gotten over the past defeats. SO my vote goes to LCW :)

19. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    What has happened in the past 12 months that gives you the impression that in a future LCW vs CL match, that LCW would have the upper hand?

We know LD if on-form would more than likely beat LCW (Look at the record), and during the last six months and especially towards the previous handful of tournaments, he had some shaky matches where he almost didn't make it through. The last two CL vs LCW matches, it really looked as though the Chinese had cracked his game and CL was (boring) but none-the-less impressive.

I'm a huge fan of LCW, but assuming LD is not in cracking form (Look out for a mysterious LD illness or injury if he's not on form and it looks like they'll meet in the semis) I have to give this one to CL.

20. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Thats what LD intended, make the match exciting to watch for the fans instead of being onesided
    as he is confident of winning each and everytime against LCW if he wants to. After all LD is the
    best of all time whilst LCW is merely one of the best.