Why is the smash record set on a headlight racket?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by hurricane478, Jul 21, 2023.

1. hurricane478

hurricane478 New Member

Yonex recently released their Nanoflare 1000Z which is in my understanding a moderately headlight racket (perhaps leaning a bit toward even balance) with a very stiff shaft. This would align with the pattern of other Z-series rackets from Yonex.

My question is, even when Yonex has very head heavy rackets like the 99 Pro and ones that are both very head heavy and very stiff like the 100ZZ and Z-Force 2, why is it that the smash record was set on a much headlighter racket? Was it done on the 1000Z for the sake of marketing a new racket, and it could theoretically be done on any stiff racket? Or is that a headlight racket allows for a greater acceleration of the racket meaning that more momentum is transferred to the shuttle? Or is it that professional players can use their body weight in the smash so the headweight of the racket becomes less of a factor?

This question is set in the reasoning that headheavy rackets mean higher overall power in a smash, but now I believe it is not as simple as this. Why?

Here is the video concerned:

Thanks!

2. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

The spec of the racket they used will probably not be the standard spec.

skhai91, Woesi and hurricane478 like this.
  3. awesomista

awesomista Regular Member

Just an overly hyperbolic marketing....

DarthHowie, kwun, Bieffe and 2 others like this.
  4. hurricane478

hurricane478 New Member

Quick update: did more research, and Yonex have recorded smash records for the Arcsaber Z-Slash (421 km/h) and the Nanoray Z-Speed (493 km/h). There are two things that seem odd here:

1. This has happened for the release of headlight and even balance Z series rackets both past an present, but the headheavy series have been left out like the Voltric Z-Force 2, Duora Z-Strike, Astrox 100zz. Possibly it's a means of saying "Our headlight rackets can smash too!"
    2. How can they just pull 70 km/h improvement in smash speed every time they release a new one? I have never seen smashes improve to that extent between the Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan era to where we are today. I haven't seen anything faster than 419 km/h in an actual game. So in essence, these rackets can deliver 500+ km/h as long as you are not actually playing a game.

decoy likes this.
  5. visor

visor Regular Member

Yonex is using a different method of frame by frame analysis of high speed video to extrapolate shuttle speed.

Whereas everyone else in the world is using radar gun measurements, which is the normal standard.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

hurricane478 and yenyesoh like this.
  6. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I'm also curious why they never mention the strings+tension in these records and only the racquets that are used.

They could be using strings so tight that there are broken strings and racquets constantly during the rounds of testing they do until they get a speed that they can put in the record book. Players wouldn't be able to use a setup like that in real matches.

7. what07

what07 Regular Member

"The racket used by Satwiksairaj Rankireddy was NANOFLARE 1000 Z produced by Yonex Co., Ltd. The speed of the badminton hit was measured by a NAC Image Technology ultrahigh-speed camera, capable of capturing 40,000 exposures per second, which determined the speed of the shuttlecock immediately following the moment of impact."

So the 565 km/h speed recorded was right as the shuttle breaks contact from the string bed. That explains alot.

I wonder what other requirements are, like are they choosing the fastest shuttles, climate conditions and other factors. Seems like its all marketing hype tbh.

8. lurker

lurker Regular Member

paid lots of moolah to "Guinness world records" with so many vague details...

too many variables to consider

also from promo vid, only 3-4 players were ''ínvited/selected" to do the test?

9. Jacky85

Jacky85 New Member

Know the test to and you ace it. The speed is taken when the birdie leave the string bed and after a fix amount of time and check how many frame has it moved. Back to the question - "why not using head heavy racket?", had you ever try using a HH racket for a period of time and suddenly change to a HL racket? Probably your first noticeable different is always over-swing the racket before the birdie reaches. Another example, had you hear before someone uses HH racket for daily training and move to lighter head racket for competitive game? It very much due to badminton sport rely a lot on muscle memory to control the birdie direction/speed/types of shots etc.

Duora-Z is a HH racket but sell under the even-balance name while 1000Z is a even-balance under head-light.

For a pro player who used HH racket(DR-Z) and move to even-balance(1000Z), they can swing even faster. Couple with controlled environment where opposite feed birdie directly for him to smash. His only job is to swing as hard/fast to get the smash test done.

I had never doubt a HH racket can smash more heavy as it can carry more momentum. A birdie leave the string bed in a compress shape and travel down before flaring out and slow down. Carrying more momentum means staying compressed longer thus a.k.a heavier smash but this is not the test component. They only look at the first few moment of the birdie leaving the string-bed for speed and not how long the birdie remains in compress shape.

I might be wrong but that's how I look at it. Feel free to correct me. :D

dnewguy, visor and ToTo like this.
  10. pootisfoib

pootisfoib Regular Member

Rankireddy actually also just set a new in-game smash record of 500km/h at Korea Open against Hoki/Kobayashi in game 1, 13th point. He was using his usual DZS though I think.

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  11. hurricane478

hurricane478 New Member

Wow, I guess with me watching mostly men's singles I missed some truly powerful players. I guess it makes sense with one player being mainly focused on rear court and one at the forecourt, rather than one player covering it all. Interesting that it was on his Z-Strike.

12. hurricane478

hurricane478 New Member

This is very interesting, especially about the feather movement too. I use only 3U headheavy rackets but did use a friend's headlight 4U for a session to try it out. I did find I swung very early, but once accustomed to it I could get more flow. Still, I was happy to go back to my own one.

13. hurricane478

hurricane478 New Member

All of the comments about the method of measurement explain a lot too. A lot of marketing garbage to show that a Nanoflare has power (of course a good player can get a brutal smash on a headlight racket too). It's understandable why they'd want to do that, but overall very artificialcin the way that they do it.

14. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

F = ma
    Force = mass x acceleration

A heavier racket (or head heavy balance) will give you more mass. But a lighter racket (or head light balance) will allow a faster swing, and therefore acceleration.

I won't say that was the defining difference, but I think it should be mentioned in a thread like this.

Anecdotally I will say that I smash faster with light rackets (though even balance), presumably because it allows me a faster swing.

dnewguy, Budi and hurricane478 like this.
  15. visor

visor Regular Member

It's been discussed at length before. The kinetic energy transfer equation KE=1/2(mv^2) is more appropriate than force equation F=ma

And that would explain why v is more important than m in final smash speed.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

dnewguy, kwun, Budi and 1 other person like this.
  16. hurricane478

hurricane478 New Member

Interesting, my first thought was p=mv (momentum = mass × velocity) which can be expanded to the following two formulae:

Ft=mv-mu
    force × time (AKA impulse or change in momentum) = momentum after - before (where "u" denotes initial velocity)

m₁v₁-m₁u₁=m₂v₂-m₂u₂
    momentum after - before of object 1 = momentum after - before of object 2

Both of these would in a way say that mass is less important too if you think of the whole arm and body as a system rather than just the racket. The racket mass would be proportionally low to the rest, so changes to balance and mass on it wouldn't be massively impactful given good technique.

The only caveat is that the racket would be at the end of the rotating system so is both moving the fastest and has the greatest leverage (for lack of a better word) on the shuttle. So would this outweigh the effect of some of the body mass being included? I don't know.

I would be interested to see where this was discussed if you had a specific thread in mind. I will have a look myself.

ToTo likes this.
  17. Budi

Budi Regular Member

:eek:i burn my brain... To much formula.....
    Im more worried that even more beginner would fall for it. Buying those racket & end up harming themself.

Common player dont have massive swing speed that is very explosive like what the pros do. Beginner other hand dont have explosive swing but flies swatter swing.

18. hurricane478

hurricane478 New Member

That's unfortunately the case, I hope they at least go for the 1000 tour, game or play. They should be more forgiving.

19. Christ14

Christ14 New Member

this has become formula science thread lol

hurricane478 likes this.
  20. pootisfoib

pootisfoib Regular Member

Just Game and Play. Tour is almost indistinguishable from Pro.