Who is comming?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2003' started by trapped-never, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Man, sounds exciting. I wish it was broadcasted in Canada! Grr! :) Anyone in Ontario going that wants to fit me in a dog cage or something or possibly their luggage? ;)

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Confusing stories: will WC still go ahead?

"New Straits Times » Sport

Badminton: BAM: Players, coaches will have the final say
    K.M. Boopathy

April 28: THE BA of Malaysia (BAM) will not send a squad for the World Championships in Birmingham on May 12-18 if the players and coaches decide not to compete because of the threat posed by the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).

In fact, the players and coaches will be given the opportunity to speak their minds when team manager Datuk Roland Wong meets them on Wednesday.

Wong, who is also BAM deputy president, said that the players and coaches face a major risk of contracting SARS in Birmingham, and as such, they should be given a chance to voice their opinion. National Sports Insitute (NSI) director Dr. Ramlan Aziz has also been invited to give his medical opinion and the risks of competing in the championships. "The players and coaches are at risk and it is only fair to consider their views before making a decision. They should have a say in this matter," said Wong when contacted in Seremban yesterday. "If they are worried and not confident of playing in Birmingham, then we will decide against sending the team to the championships. "Dr. Ramlan's views are also very important and we will consider every aspect before coming to a conclusion.

"I will inform the outcome to the president (Datuk Nadzmi Salleh), who will make an official announcement on the matter. The overall view of the players and coaches will be given the priority." Asians countries, who dominate the game on the international stage, have been badly hit by SARS, and even the International Badminton Federation (IBF) is concerned as powerhouses China, Hong Kong and Singapore are among the worse hit countries by SARS. IBF are in a dilemma as it is unfair to restrict China, whcih boasts of the biggest squad with more than 20 shuttlers, from competing.

However, allowing China to compete could expose the other shuttlers to the deadly disease which has claimed more than 300 lives worldwide. Tournament organisers the BA of England (BAE), is adamant to stage the championships to avoid loss of revenue. However, IBF is expected to make a decision, with postponement the most likely decision, today. Wong acknowledged that a decision to postpone the championships could make matters easier, but he will still meet the players to discuss on their preparations. "It will be good if IBF decides to postpone it, but I still have to discuss it with the players to get their views. "We need to discuss about the neccessary precautions to take if there is no postponement and the players must brace themselves to make the trip." National coach Misbun Sidek (above pic) has already expressed concerns about the safety of his players and suggested postponing the tournament, and his views will be considered during Wednesday's meeting."

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

What is the risk?? what would IBFBAofE do???

If the IBF/BAofE do continue with the tournament, I think a few safety measures will need to be imposed.

I think these measures will almost become a standard of care in the future, just as now we have health checks, temperature testing in SE Asia.

Please note, I suggest that ALL players should have the testing. Not just those from Asia. Theoretically, you could catch it on the plane, airport lounge - but not many cases like this have turned up. USually, it's health care workers, people living or working in close proximity.

1) daily checking of any symptoms - team manager should be responsible for collating information and reporting to tournament organiser + medic in charge
    2) daily temperature checks (in fact, there is an argument for twice daily checks)
    3) anybody with a respiratory tract infection (e.g. ordinary cold) to wear a mask or barred from attending if refuses.

As to the risk of contracting infection, it's pretty low on the badminton court. But the above measures also provide a psychological degree of relief to everybody

Behavioural changes we might see are:
    less/no shaking of the hands at the end of matches
    less/no pats of the back
    less/no shaking of the hands of referee
    people wiping their hands after the match with alcohol rub

even for the big audience event, we may see some decleration of health need by spectators. Overkill? Maybe, but better to be a bit proactive than to be reactive. There's also a matter of social responsibility.

I don't think you can catch SARS by playing badminton. The risk of SARS on the badminton court is pretty low because the symptoms of high temperature, muscles ache would make anybody less inclined to play badminton. Only problem is, we do not if a person can be infective before the symptoms appear.

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Hey that gives me a good idea how some players can beat their opponents,

all one has to do is to pretend to cough heavily onto the shuttle and then

serve it over, I'm sure the opponent will avoid the shuttle.

Or everytime one place a bad net just sneeze as your opponent rushes the net,

I'm sure he/she will refrain.Or maybe cough into the net, then your opponent will

stay away. Maybe disinfect the courts everytime players change sides.

I think certain people in some countries make brilliant statemments,more people die

from Dengue than Sars.To say that players will catch Sars in a tour in the UK is

assuming that Europe is a silly 3rd world with poor medical facilities and disease

control and prevention.

5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Why not stop all meetings and international level even if they involve

small numbers? eg Asians as they spread SARS, certain people of a certain religion

as they may be international terrorists, Europeans and Africans as they transmit

Aids and Americans as they promote Imperialism? lets all stay within our own

borders.

Seriously people are nowadays stopping the European practice of shaking hands to

prevent spreading germs, also people are using the Japanese habit of bowing or the

ole Chinese method of claspng both hands and saying "Bao Chung".No kissing of

course.

Maybe players from affected countries must don masks all the time.

Attached Files:

6. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Likely scenario on 19/5/03

Just kidding.

Attached Files:

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

True, but dengue is an established disease. Control of the disease is known to depend on control of mosquitoes. So far more people die of dengue...the key words are "so far". Control of atypical pneumonia depends on strict quarantine measures and protective apparel for health care workers. In the first days of AIDS, you could have made the same statement about more people dying from other illnesses. Same with atypical pneumonia. It's only a matter of time..

Probably wouldn't say Europe as a whole, but you'd be surprised at how many people would agree that the once valued British health system has fallen far below minimal standards. Your statement has more truth than perhaps expected. Even now the British government is dragging heels over defining policies on screening of atypical pneumonia at ports of entry. Asia is leading the way in this respect. The spread of atypical pneumonia shows that it is hard to stop and at great cost to the economy/society, so why not attempt to implement some measures proactively?

For HK, there were the doubters and believers of mass spread in HK. The clue was there when 70 hospital staff initally fell down with the disease in the 1st outbreak. The doubters(HK government) won at that time and did nothing, even saying HK was safe to travel to. It was a gamble that went wrong. Now the head of the HK administration admits that they were too passive in the intial stages. Of particular importance is that the two countries that didn't take atypical pneumonia seriously (HK and mainland China) are now the worst affected areas. At least HK is improving now.

That is why I would give serious consideration to the measures I previously suggested.

8. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I think in Uk there is little concern about sars outside of some sensationalist news headlines. To date there have been 6 cases all of which have recovered and been released from hospital.

i agree the wc looks increasingly unlikely but I wonder how many people will be coming in for the wc compared with the thousands who enter and leave uk every day. I imagine the players will have been away from infected areas and been under close medical supervision anyway. Who knows what the cost and loss of TV etc could be if there is a postponement.

9. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

well , I laways believe that the experts are in a better position to comment

ie. the doctors.Whilst govs do sth, citizens need to be considerate.

There is this case of the msian with SARS who sneaked into MSIA from Singapore

to avoid detection but luckily was traced after infecting several people.

then the case of the Mainland girl with SARS who hid in a car boot to sneak into

MSia but was apprehended. Also many cases of people in HK quarantined who tried

to escape.Could be education and values, Japanese people are very civic minded

and considerate.

10. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Attached Files:

11. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Attached Files:

12. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Of course everyone has to be vigilant

Attached Files:

13. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    From todays Times

Sars threat throws Birmingham showpiece into doubt
    By Matthew Pryor

THE Sars virus may claim its first sporting competition in Britain with the staging of the World Badminton Championships at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham from May 12 to 18 rated as “50-50” by the International Badminton Federation (IBF), the sport’s governing body.
    “The president (Korn Dabbaransi) has taken charge of the decision,” Andrew Ryan, the IBF marketing director, said. “A decision will be taken in the next 24 hours.” In all, 337 players from 48 countries are entered.

Fears have grown because so many leading players are from Asia and, in particular, China. Ren Chunhui, the deputy secretary of the China Badminton Association, has said that if the championships were to go ahead, China would send their players to England. Worldwide television rights deals are signed and 7,000 tickets have already been sold, with groups travelling from around the world.

As far as the Badminton Association of England, the organising body, is concerned, it is full steam ahead. “It’s on,” Darren Parks, the championships director, said. “This all seems to be picking up speculation from the Asian media. The Government’s advice is that there is no restriction on travel to and from the UK. We’ve spoken to Neil Cameron, the chief executive of the IBF, twice today and he’s saying it’s on.”

But Ryan said: “The Badminton Association of England don’t want to face up to the fact of postponement. In financial terms it could be catastrophic. It could be that all parties are liable for $1 million. We will not take the decision on economic grounds. The health and safety of all participants is the concern.”

There could also be a large economic fallout for Birmingham as a city. “The economic impact of the championships is estimated at £2 million,” a spokesperson for Marketing Birmingham, said.

Ryan added: “There has been quite a bit of pressure from some of the Asian players. I can understand that they have a very different perspective than we have in the UK. In Korea there has been government advice to the sports bodies that they keep travel of athletes down to a minimum. The powerhouses are China, Korea, Indonesia and Malaysia. If a number chose not to take part, it would be a meaningless World Championships.”

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The good Oxford Dons say "It's foreign, it's Eastern". Famous last words:)

He should check where Toronto is on the map relative to UK.......

Looking at the pros & cons, I believe WC can go ahead safely. Like I said, if you take the health precautions, I would say this provides reassurance for everybody. (and I'm living in SARS area, work in hospital with SARS, still play badminton, still healthy.....no fever, muscle aches, shivers or diahrroea.....I just do sensible precautions, good hygiene, frequent hand washing.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Misbun: Shuttlers raring for action

BY LIM TEIK HUAT
    PETALING JAYA: National singles head coach Misbun Sidek has called on the International Badminton Federation (IBF) to come to a decision soon on the status of the World Championships to be held in Birmingham.

As he fears the longer the uncertainty drags on, it is bound to have a deeper effect on all the World Championship-bound shuttlers psychologically.

There have been growing concerns that the World Championships may be postponed because of the threat posed by the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) virus.

IBF have said earlier that the prestigious world meet will be held as scheduled as the organisers have promised to take all the necessary precautions and measures. But recent developments could force the world body to change their mind.

There have been new outbreaks reported in China, Hongkong and Singapore recently, the countries hardest hit by the SARS virus and they have players who have qualified for the prestigious world meet. Even Malaysia has not been spared.

However, Misbun said it would be unlikely that the Malaysian players will not want to go if the meet is held.

“I know the players themselves are raring to go into action for the World Championships. They have been training hard since I increased the intensity of the sessions.

“But IBF must decide fast whether they want to postpone the competition or continue as scheduled.

“It is not good for everyone if things drag on. The players will get more worried about whether the meet is on or not and it will affect everyone's concentrations. Not just our own players but participants from other countries as well, especially if they are going with the intention to challenge for titles,” said Misbun.

Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) secretary Gangga Rao said the players and coaches will be given the opportunity to voice out their opinion on their participation when they meet team manager Datuk Roland Wong tomorrow.

National Sports Insitute (NSI) director Dr. Ramlan Aziz has also been invited to give his medical opinion and the risks of competing in an overseas event. "

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Unfortunately, this reporter didn't hear what the WHO had to say yesterday in Bangkok. Namely containment of disease in HK, Canada, S'pore.

The overall trend of new cases in HK is dropping, for the first time, two consecutive days have had 17 and 14 cases respectively.

China is carrying out containment measures now. It would take 3 weeks to see the result

17. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Good practice,amongst many others

Attached Files:

• lee.jpg
      lee.jpg
      File size:
      67.3 KB
      Views:
  18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

World table Tennis in Paris as schediuled from 19-25/5.

A lot of contact through ball and players blowing onto ball and bat.

As in badminton?

Attached Files:

19. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    They bottled it!!!!!!!

Hi all, as you can imagine i'm pretty livid that the IBF decided to postpone the worlds, does this mean that no international sporting events can go on? if they dont find a cure for SARS will they cancel the Olympics? what about wimbledon? i betcha that doesn't get cancelled.

Altho the extended logistics of checking people when they come into the country is probably a factor, why couldn't the IBF take the WHO's advice and let the show go on.

if they rearrange it for August, i'll be snookered - i won't be able to get the time of work then grrrrr.

What do you guys think? should they have postponed it? how long should we have to wait? do you think it will stay at the same venue?

Neil

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Coops. Absolutely right.

Unfortunately, world sport is not governed by one blanket association so what one sport decides will not apply to another. If we see one SARS case occuring due to a contact at any sporting event, you can be sure its gonna be spread all over the papers. Then, it will be time for BAofE/IBF to trumpet its decision.