Where's TH's power game?

Discussion in 'Japan Open / China Open 2006' started by smashmouth, Oct 15, 2006.

1. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

These are in fact not quite relavent. For example, if I play LD, I will lose in minutes. However every point I manage to get, even if it's due to LD's errors, will make me happy: I get one point from LD!!! For those non-Chinese WD, losing 11:21 or 19:21 really has big difference to them, they will be happy if they can close the gap between them and the Chinese WD.

As for TH, deep in heart he doesn't think LD is at the same level as himself. There is no need for him to prove himself. (Contrary to LCW, who must be very happy after HKO final since it's the first time he almost beated LD outside Malaysia) I guess when he realized his current form is just not enough to beat LD, he was destroyed by despair and disgust of himself. And in that situation, losing 0:21 or 20:22 has no difference to him.

2. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Anyway, TH is a controversial boy, a badminton genius half wasted.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..hehe, well, as i mentioned a while back, i'm not a "true TH fan"..I'm a fan of all "great"(and "not so great") players..And I just see and tell it like it is and how i see it(if that makes any sense to y'all)...:rolleyes:;) :D

#63 ctjcad, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well, let me paint the better side of Taufik Hidayat for you.

I think it was at the Singapore Open 2005. PG was matched against TH, probably in the QF. That was the best match I've watched for a long time and both of them displayed their skills aplenty. It deserved to be the MS final. It was something akin to what we just watched on Sunday, the historic WS match between Zhang Ning and Xie Xingfang in the Japan Open, except that the men's skills were higher.

The audience enjoyed every minute of it and in the end, Taufik surprised us by putting his arms across the net to embrace PG, who was defeated in 3 gruelling games. Now that was sportsmanship at its highest. I couldn't recall any complaint from TH or PG. They played as professionals in that most memorable match. :)

#64 Loh, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  5. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    Thanks Loh for the info.
    But actually -wei- and I was talking about Lin Dan from some other matches in the past.:p TH has nothing to do with that incident.:p

6. -wei-

-wei- Regular Member

To be honest, I don't think that that comment was that bad.
    I'll give it to you that it's a bit cocky, but we always knew he wasn't exactly humble.
    It's not like he is belittling Gade's game or anything, all he said was that he feels confident everytime he plays against Gade.
    With a record like that against him, most people would probably say the same thing.
    I mean how many ways could you answer the question "from the game. it seems u have real confidence in winning the game. how did u do that?".?
    I was lucky?
    But anyway, yes. Lin Dan is a cocky guy.

7. red00ecstrat

That's why I said I could hardly believe Lin would make a positive comment on TH!
    Good! He's improving!

8. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

Actually red was talking about Lin Dan's comment on Peter Gade last time. Lin Dan was the one making the statement, not Taufik.

It was so nice for you to have witnessed the match at Singapore Open 2005.

Well, it is not a surprise. I have seen Taufik embraced Wong Choon Hann a few times already even though Taufik lost the matches.

9. red00ecstrat

Yes Malaysianfan. Thanks for the clarification

TH did exactly the same thing to Wong Choon Hann last year in Hong Hong.

10. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

Look, taufik still has his good sides. Try not insulting him like he had crashed the world trade centre.

11. huynd

huynd Regular Member

TH and LD are both very proud. That's why they can hardly be friendly to each other.

I'm a Taufik fan, love his skills and style of play. But based on the current performance of LD and TH, it's very difficult for TH to beat LD. In the JO final, LD shown an amazingly quick pace at the end of 2nd set, and when he did, TH had no answer. So sad, but TH has to improve his stamina more.

12. hollywood_t

hollywood_t Regular Member

[quote\]But Lin turned the tide in the second game by pushing TH away from the net as often as possible and took control instead. Lin even tricked TH with flick serves a number of times. He was then able to employ his trademark smashes more readily and effectively.[/quote]

This isn't the first time Lin Dan has used this tactic. If u look back at the Macau Open 06 he used the same tactics against Lee Chong Wei to keep Lee off the net. It was a riskier proposition w/ LCW as he is much stronger than Taufik in rear court rally play. I'm sure team Li Yong Bo came up w/ this to takes away any advantage in net play from the opponent i.e. it will work on any strong net player.

It also introduces a new look to the rally and forces the opponent to adapt. Unfortunately for Taufik rally play is his B game for whatever reason (fitness, disposition. ...) and it plays much more to Lin Dan's advantage. LD is tactically flexible so can play this style. I think this is one of the overlooked strengths he brings to the court. Not only do u have to beat his strokes but you have to overcome his ability to adapt and throw different game plans at you.

Not sure if Taufik can catch him as LCW has pushed LD to get better in the last 6 months. I still think LCW has a better chance to catch Lin.

Derek

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..nice take, hollywood_t, ;) i concur with the statement i've highlighted in bold...
    As for Taufik being able to "overcome his(LD's) ability to adapt and throw different game plans at you.", IMO, sure, i think he(Taufik) can still do it, but *ONLY* if he "fixes" his weakness(which i'm sure you guys have read enough). ;):p
    Imagine, worst come to worst, Taufik was 1 set away of *possibly* winning it(which shows that he's capable), yet he just couldn't hang & instead gave away the set..(ie. an example to compare is ChenHong in the recent WC against Taufik. If ChenHong, who is probably 2-3 older than Taufik gave him a fight and won, hey, why can't Taufik??)..:p :mad: :(

#73 ctjcad, Oct 17, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2006