Where's TH's power game?

Discussion in 'Japan Open / China Open 2006' started by smashmouth, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    As reported in Singapore's "Today" on Lin Dan's own analysis of his match against Taufik:

"Taufik was so speedy in the first game and I couldn't cope with his speed," said Lin. (Even Lin admitted he couldn't match TH's spped.)

"In the second game, I tried not to play at the net by sending long shots and tried to keep the lead. The first two games were very close." (Looks like Lin acknowledged TH's deadly net play and he had to change tactic by sending more baseline shots. But Lin himself played some very good net shots when necessary.)

The match changed after Lin won 10 points in a row to go 10-1 up in the final game, when the unseeded Taufik appeared to lose hope.

"He (TH) seemed to have given up when I took the lead in the final game'" said Lin.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

thx Loh, for sharing the infos...Yah, those are quite evident..And as far as LinDan's strategy in the 2nd set(to send deeper clears and lobs), i also suggested a similar idea last night during the game. Now the CHN players will probably employ this strategy whenever they play against Taufik, in hope he will tire out..And of course, it proved to be the right approach..I would imagine ChenHong probably employed the same approach also in his WC match against Taufik..

BTW, mind doing one of your "blow-by-blow account" of the Final match between LinDan vs. Taufik, just like you did in the WC's match between ChenHong vs. Taufik??..hehe;):) :D :cool:

3. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    i don't agree with you. Taufik had no reasons to give up the 2nd game because it's 15-15, with the 1st game in his hand. But at this point, it's very obvious that he failed to return at least 3-4 very easy shots from LD. Something to do with skill? I don't think so. Why did he need to give up at a 15-15? Something to do with skills? I don't think so. Taufik made a lot of unforced errors after 15-15

for the 3rd set, it's very obvious from the first point, Taufik's stamina and concentration dropped tremendously. I don't agree with all these people saying that LD's skill outclassed Taufik in the 3rd set, because more than 2/3 of LD's first 10 points came from Taufik's unforced errors. Taufik's stamina already didn't allow him to fight from the 1st point in 3rd with LD, instead of the 10th-point as said by you.

#23 weeyet, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  4. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

Agree with you. I think Taufik started to lose his concentration during the last few points in the 2nd game.Meanwhile, Lin Dan can sustain till the deciding game and Taufik made some unforced errors too.Taufik might have better skills, but skills aren't everything on the court. So Lin Dan's overall ability was better during the match.

5. woodenRacket

woodenRacket Regular Member

That must be a good name for TH in HKO and JO, and hope not in CO and next:)

6. smashmouth

smashmouth Regular Member

banker
    I was only able to catch the finals so I'm basing my opinion on that game alone.

Well, to me TH's 'explosive' game wasn't there as much as it was before. In the first two sets, almost all of his points came on account of finesse and deception. There were only a few instances (maybe 2 times) where he was able to execute smash winners.

In WC 2005, he had both his finesse and power games at his disposal. I think that was the big difference.

7. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Yea, I noticed that also. If i am not mistaken, Taufik didn't play a deadly jumping smash in the 1st set. And he did it 2-3 times in the 2nd game. :confused: :confused: Maybe he wasn't given the chances or wat

#27 weeyet, Oct 16, 2006
  8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    explosive?

out of curosity, is it not taufik's trademark is that he's a slow starter?

9. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Yea, at the present moment, Lin Dan has the better overall ability..:cool:

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    loh, LD is being respectful to his victim. He didn't trash talk down his opponent. Fast? TH look fast because LD was playing 2/3 speed in the first game.

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..hehe, with me??..:confused: :p ;)
    Anyways, i concur with your post..;) :)

12. smashmouth

smashmouth Regular Member

banker
    Don't know about TH being a slow starter, but he sure looked a step behind LD, who played like he can still do a triathlon after the match.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    After watching Taufik giving up without a fight in the 3rd game, I've lost all motivation. Maybe you should entertain us for once. :)

But if you think you can employ the "long shots" theory on Taufik everytime, I think you'll be terribly disappointed. Like LD, Taufik is no fool and will soon get wise to it.

Taufik will perfect his jump smash to nullify your new strategy and his game will then be raised a notch higher! ;)

14. -wei-

-wei- Regular Member

LOL...That's because sneaky TauQUIT pulled a fast one on Lin Dan.
    Look at the picture below and tell me who looks like the winner?
    Lin Dan will never get the victory he wants, because TauQUIT will not let him.

[​IMG]

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Lin Dan says: Please don't stand on the same stage with me. You make me look like a fool!

16. -wei-

-wei- Regular Member

LOL!!!! THAT IS SO FUNNY!!!
    It does look like that don't it? Poor Lin Dan

17. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Taufik didn't perform badly though, he got to the finals, he beat LCW and BCL (he even played very well against LD before the third set), so I don't quite see your point?

#37 phaarix, Oct 16, 2006
  18. rhinovinda

rhinovinda Regular Member

Scientist
    I completely agree with your comment. You are the true TH fan.

19. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Oh for god's sake lay off him would you? You're starting to give me a headache what with your constant childish remarks and accusations. We get the point - you hate Taufik. That's fine, just don't go on and on... >_>.

20. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    You are childish you dont have to go on creating hate thread everywhere, we heard you once and we get the point. Judging from your attitude i bet if you were in Taufik's shoe u would have probably quited as well in 3rd set. Please stop your hatred and get on with the proper topic.